Ideas for this kitchen space please?

We've purchased our first IP and have been advised to re-do the kitchen before putting it on the rental market.
I'm after some ideas on how to make the space work better. It is quite a pokey area and the current layout is not very user friendly.
Total current kitchen area is 2.9m x 3.25m. The window is 1.6m from LH wall and is 1m x 1m in size.
Total room size, which includes Dining space on the other side of the bench is 2.9 x 5.3m.
The oven is only 2 years old so we want to keep it for now. And we want to add a dishwasher to the new design.

I am tossing up between a U shape - thinking we could knock out the bulkhead/overhead cabinets/pantry/drawer combo and make it as an open bench, maybe with slight overhang into dining area? Would we need to get building permit to do that? Pantry would need to go on the opposite wall to the sink, but as that is the thoroughfare it'd have to be narrow.

Or an L shape - extending cabinets into dining area

Any and all suggestions are welcome.
:confused:

PS. We will be repainting the walls a neutral colour.

Attachments

• MKitchenRD.jpg
    MKitchenRD.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 124
  • MKitchenL.jpg
    MKitchenL.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 131
  • MEntry.jpg
    MEntry.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:
very hard to gauge layout from those photos- can you add some more or a rough floor plan?

I would remove that bulkhead, blocks light & view lines. As to permits for removal, likely not but would need to check it does't have anything structural in it.

I would agree that the bulkhead and big post all need to go. What will that do to the flooring where the back of the pantry(?) is (where the floor grate is).

I also agree seeing a better floor plan and how the area fits in with what else is there would good. I'd be included in run the kitchen right along the whole wall but if you really must have a "separate" room for the little dining table, that might not work. Can that little dining area become part of an eat in kitchen rather than on its own like it is now. Having an open room will feel so much bigger than two little spaces.

Without knowing what else would be affected, and assuming the floor under what looks like a pantry now (part of that bulkhead wall), could you run the kitchen right along the back wall, knock out the bulkhead and put a small island to cover the flooring damage (if necessary). This all depends on what else is there and what else can be knocked out to open it up.

very hard to gauge layout from those photos- can you add some more or a rough floor plan?

I would remove that bulkhead, blocks light & view lines. As to permits for removal, likely not but would need to check it does't have anything structural in it.

Does this help? This is the current layout. (Measurements are not exact).
I don't think I have any other photos on my camera. I'll ask my hubby when he gets home if he has others.
We want to have 600mm benchtops in the new kitchen.

We don't think the bulkhead is structural as it's painted wooden board all the way to the top and across. We assume the structural wall is the plasterboard wall separating these rooms from the lounge/entry/hallway on the other side.
(We don't want to knock out any structural walls at this point in time)

Attachments

• rough kitdine measure.jpg
    rough kitdine measure.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Pantry in the corner (where the fridge is currently)
Fridge moved to the right (or fridge then pantry if it's particularly easier)
Cupboard above the fridge and then to the corner, add a corner cupboard
Bench tops / cupboards from fridge/pantry to the corner, add a corner cupboard
Move stove to the right to make way for the corner cupboards
Sink where it is, leave enough room for another corner cupboard if you can
Open up as much as possible between the kitchen / dining room ie make open plan
Bench around from sink, following the same shape (leaving it U shaped)
Cupboards under sink & all the way around under the bench

Backing up a step or two, who has told you to do a kitchen reno before renting it out?
How much do you plan to spend? Add to that the loss of rent for the period while you are doing the reno.
How long would it take you to recoup that from an extra $20pw or so in rent?

Backing up a step or two, who has told you to do a kitchen reno before renting it out?
How much do you plan to spend? Add to that the loss of rent for the period while you are doing the reno.
How long would it take you to recoup that from an extra $20pw or so in rent?

The internals of the current cupboards are not in good condition. The PM we have chosen has suggested replacing with a new kitchen. Doing so will also apparently help with the overall appeal of the house. I was thinking $3k for kitchen redo? Do you think that's feasible?
We settle on the property in a couple of weeks but it's vacant at the moment and the vendor is ok with us going to measure up and get quotes done, but not to commence any work. (We asked for early access but the vendor isn't comfortable with that :( )

I would remove that bulkhead entirely & pull it back to the wall. L shaped bench more or less as is, large island to use some of that waste centre space. Pantry cupboards on the wall between the two doorways.

We are a bit DIY chellenged. In fact I wield a drill better than my husband.
Am looking at IKEA cabinets and then paying for their installation service. I'm also going to ask a local cabinet maker to look at the job.
What are people's thoughts on IKEA kitchens? Their brochures say they come with a 25year warranty which I believe includes hinges and drawer runners. Has anyone had any experience with IKEA cabinets?

IKEA kitchens are ok but they usually look like IKEA kitchens.
You can also get kitchens from Bunnings - they're ok.
If you want a cheap but good-looking kitchen and you're going to get it done, it'll prbably cost you about 6K including elcheapo oven and stove.
If you're knocking stuff down, moving things around and painting, may as well get a kitchen built to size - looks really good.
All the best

My understanding was that ikea and Masters kitchens were pretty good for the money but bunnings were not as good quality

I've been pretty happy with the quality of the Kaboodle range at Bunnings. The other lower ranges do mostly look like junk.

Back