ideas to move couches etc ? trailor/ van hire? other ideas?

we are looking for a budget way to pick up some couches from half an hour away and bring them back

we also have other things we might be moving like a big double bed.

any budget suggestions.

my small car wont take a tow bar and paying for it to be installed is a couple of hundred.

removalist? can be costlybut may be our only choice.

i was hoping a friend could help us with tralor hire but i think he is busy.then we could have it over more hours to move stuff.

any other choices? is not a massive couch an old maybe 6 foot or soemthing with 2 matching arm chairs and then the double bed.

francine.

thanks

but arent they manual. I dont think i could drive manual. maybe a relative could.

would you know please how much would they cost to rent.

i guess i know a trailor wouldnt cost much and we can use it for some hours but i doubt my friend with a tow bar will have time to help me with that.

hiring removalists would cost more than that per hour whcih defeats the purpose of buying second hand couches in the first place lol.

I think you should have thought of this first before buying the furniture :p

Ring a few van/truck hire places and ask for an *automatic* small truck/ute/large van you can drive on a regular car license. They are cheap, but you need a fairly large (refundable) deposit, which is standard across most hire places.

lots of utes and one tonne vans come in automatic now. We have hired them heaps of times, always try to get an auto because i haven't driven a manual to any further than around the block (moving friends cars to avoid parking tickets) for about 10 years. For a day it will be less than $100.

how to move couch 2 arm chairs and double bed.

oh ok thanks for that. will that fit a 6 or so foot couch and 2 arm chairs though. and a double bed mattress? i used to own a van and i dont thing the couch and 2 chairs or double bed would fit would theY

yeah agree with Lyne, and a suggestion could be to post your suburb and see if any nice people here can help out with a trailor or something in exchange for lunch or a carton or something?

i rented a 1 ton ute from budget. $75 for 1 day and 100 km free. if you call them they can give you the dimensions so you can make sure whatever you are moving will fit. mine was a manual but if you call enough in advance there are automatics that are also available.

we were thinking of buying new sofas for $3k+ but thanks to my wife's budget consciousness we ended up getting 2 used sofas for $150+the $75 for the rental. Not too bad considering that the sofas had been "lounge sofas" which meant they had hardly been used at all. I still long for my leather freedom sofa but i can wait a bit longer... you gotta have something to look forward to, i suppose...

budget ways to move couches.

wow thanks for all that helpful advice.
i. where exactly is that advertisement on gumtree. i saw furniture but not these guys. i'll look again.

i am in the malvern area and couches are 20 minutes away.

but doubt someone from this website will assist, would someone really do that?

yes exactly urchin. she likes nice stuff too but these couches are 18 years old but were also for a formal lounge only so hardly used.we were really lucky as we showed up just before other buyers. i'm glad she agreed to save money and get them. it means with the money saved its like getting all else she needed for free.

where is the advertisement please on gumtree re men with truck $25-$30

lynne taht sounds like wht i need. i saw furniture advertisements but didnt see the one you mentioned re guys with truck for $25-$30. could you help me find it by any chance please.

thanks

francine

WOW THANKS FOR THAT.

Lynnes advertisement i found about page 16 or so into it. they stay starting from $20 but unsure what they will charge. if its super cheap they can move a whole lot more of small stuff that otherwise we would have done in a friends station wagon.

i have emailed them as thats how they quote and i'll wait to hear from them

man with van i called this morning and it was 70 80 or 90 per hour so not the most budget choice, but thanks anyway.

francine

I can recomend these guys for a fast shift bearing in mind that it was a few years since last used

http://www.minimovers.com.au/?http://www.minimovers.com.au/?referrer=homeone

They ran up and down the stairs from the unit with boxes. The fridge they just picked up and carried down 3 flights of stairs and yes, they did have a trolley, but they said pick up and carry is faster.

Then driving to the next address the left me behind and were waiting eager at the other end and a repeat, run up stairs, carry fridge and all so very cheap.

I was sweating just watching, best money spent on entertainment in a long time:D

Dave

wow thanks for that re moving couches etc.

this has been very helpful thanks so much

Dave thanks for the belly laugh. everywhere we are going is easy, ground floor, no fridges, the couches are old not massive, hopefully it will go well.

i'll wait for an email back from them

i learnt over the years that hiring per hour can vary so much. they could seem cheaper and go so slow or the opposite. i might also see about hiring a van. thanks for that.

francine

moving couches budget options

dave they quoted me 140 per hour. thats not the cheapest option. thanks anyway for the info and laugh

francine.

Back