Identify these tiles? pavers?

I've come into about 60sqm of the tiles/pavers shown below

They are 300mm x 300mm x 22mm and appear to be terracotta.. roughish finish.. I'm unsure what they are, they have a chalky finish so I'm guessing you'd call them pavers (whats the diff anyhow?).. When wet they darken up nicely.. I really like the idea of a terracotta floor in my living area at home.. could I use these internally? Ross? Bueller? Bueller? Would I have to seal before laying if I did? Wax?

Tiles.jpg

Hi dunc,

I've come into about 60sqm of the tiles/pavers shown below

looks like they fell off the back of a ... bedford ... ;)

Yep, pavers... the diff as i understand it is tiles are clay which are cooked in a kiln and pavers are simply cement based.

no prob using them inside and i would seal them ... after they are laid.

door clearance will be an issue though ..

rossv

My guess,Mexican terracotta tiles.Are they pale pink to pale yellow in colouring and convex?
Traditionally that thick as they are brittle until laid.

Will be fine inside as long as you have enough clearance where needed.

They are very porous so seal before laying (Aqua Mix Floor Shine and Hardener). Lay with at least a 10mm grout joint otherwise they will look dickie.

Wax again with the Aqau mix when laid. No need to strip this stuff, when areas get a bit worn just mop some more on.

Have fun!

PS: Aqua Mix colour wise will be about half way between wet and dry look.

ani said:
My guess,Mexican terracotta tiles.Are they pale pink to pale yellow in colouring and convex?
Traditionally that thick as they are brittle until laid.

I think you must be spot on.. they are indeed slightly convex.. thanks for those tips.. much appreciated.

geoffw said:
Then it's probably not a good idea to use them with a bottle of Extra Dry ;)

Those damn bottles are popping up everywhere at the moment.. had a few mates over last night.. I kept finding empties in the shed when I was making space for the tiles this evening.. No wonder I had a headache this morning :(

Hi Duncan

They appear to be terracotta tiles. Pavers are usually much thicker.

I would clean and seal them before laying ( stops adhesive and grout staining)

There are sealers on the market that will give a wet look finish.

Lay with a 10mm gap and grout with 3 to1 washed sand & cement.( use plasticizes in grout )

If the tiles vary quite a bit in size use a strait edge against one side of the grout line.

Gerd

Back