Identifying popular areas BEFORE they become popular??

How do people identify areas that are going to be appealing at the time when not many other buyers are looking?

I bought my first place in 2010, learnt the hard way about property cycles by buying at the very top of the Adelaide market in early 2010.

Improved slightly and bought a few places in the early stages of the Sydney boom in beginning of 2013 (but again would have had much more choice if bought in 2012) ie bought one of those 1000m blocks in western Sydney for 400k that doubled in 2 years!

Looking in logan council area now, but continue to find examples like this
http://www.domain.com.au/property/sold/house/qld/woodridge/?adid=2010865175
woodridge 1207m2 two titles rents for 340 per week and sold for 287k only in december last year

Its pretty obvious that that was a gd buy!

Looking now around that price there is definitely less to choose from
Any long time posters care to give some hints on how to find areas BEFORE they become popular or if familiar with the property clock when the good places are at 6 o'clock?

a lot can happen in a short period of time, especially a hot one,

areas in logan and surrounds have boomed in my opinion,

I think it will continue to have growth but more subdued, but the growth will probably be quite a long one !

There are still opportunities in the area you identified that are being advertised or are just advertised.

If you want to build now, I know of a site with townhouse zoning that you can build 2 X 2 bedroom townhouses and 1 X 3 bedroom dwelling

It currently has a house on it that rents for above 320 per week
You just got to check the zoning of the properties that have been advertised

I can tell you offhand stuff on the Logan market now that has townhouse, zoning or apartment zoning but are still being advertised at pretty decent prices because they were advertised a few weeks ago or a month or two ago

I have a property in Logan that has now been rezoned townhouse
When I bought it several years ago, I had no idea about the proposed rezoning, Logan Draft Plan, Logan Revised, Nothing, Nadir
The property just fit my investment strategy at the time and I had only a vague idea what 'planning' was
It's just luck sometimes, nothing more than that...
Like the person that bought the above property you linked to, bet you he didn't know at the time he bought it in December 2013, it was going to be rezoned townhouse zoning in the Draft in April 2014. How could he know the future?
Trust me, you're not the only person that has looked at that property this year in light of the new zoning and said, 'wow, that was a good deal!'

Anyway, my Logan property that's been rezoned townhouse, it already has 2 proper attached solid dwellings built on it yonks ago, so it's pretty hard for me to add another dwelling there and not deprive someone of private open space :cool:

But seriously don't despair, there are still opportunities out there right now, right this second and others that will come up. You just have to be eagled-eyed and know the right tools to use to check when you want to assess a property, it just takes a minute or two....

Last edited:
There are still opportunities in the area you identified that are being advertised or are just advertised.

If you want to build now, I know of a site with townhouse zoning that you can build 2 X 2 bedroom townhouses and 1 X bedroom dwelling

It currently has a house on it that rents for above 320 per week
You just got to check the zoning of the properties that have been advertised

I can tell you offhand stuff on the Logan market now that has townhouse, zoning or apartment zoning but are still being advertised at pretty decent prices because they were advertised a few weeks ago or a month or two ago

I have a property in Logan that has now been rezoned townhouse
When I bought it several years ago, I had no idea about the proposed rezoning, Logan Draft Plan, Logan Revised, Nothing, Nadir
The property just fit my investment strategy at the time and I had only a vague idea what 'planning' was
It's just luck sometimes, nothing more than that...
Like the person that bought the above property you linked to, bet you he didn't know at the time he bought it in December 2013, it was going to be rezoned townhouse zoning in the Draft in April 2014. How could he know the future?
Trust me, you're not the only person that has looked at that property this year in light of the new zoning and said, 'wow, that was a good deal!'

Anyway, my Logan property that's been rezoned townhouse, it already has 2 proper attached solid dwellings built on it yonks ago, so it's pretty hard for me to add another dwelling there and not deprive someone of private open space :cool:

But seriously don't despair, there are still opportunities out there right now, right this second and others that will come up. You just have to be eagled-eyed and know the right tools to use to check when you want to assess a property, it just takes a minute or two....

Thanks Beanie Girl for your words of encouragement

I seem to be really good at identifying good properties once someone else has bought them.

I do know of the tools you speak of, so I guess that I just need to be patient and believe!

you said "he didnt know" do you know the buyer.... maybe it was someone on somersoft.. ill give them 300k for it hehe

Last edited:

I think it will continue to have growth but more subdued, but the growth will probably be quite a long one !

boomed? even if prices are still below prices of that in 2007 ie before the previous boom?

I don't agree

in speaking to a lot of agents and my observations, it went up in line with Brisbane growth around 6 months ago and has actually pulled back at the moment.

IMO the real 'boom' will come after Brisbane city has had its day.

I agree.

As soon as I hear people talking about an area being terrible I start taking interest. Most of the time this is a historical reputation which is now largely untrue.

I live in a beachside suburb of Melbourne. In 2002 it was classed as a terrible area. Now 4 bed wooden houses go for over a million here.

BB

I don't agree

in speaking to a lot of agents and my observations, it went up in line with Brisbane growth around 6 months ago and has actually pulled back at the moment.

IMO the real 'boom' will come after Brisbane city has had its day.

Yip I agree as well, there is no way it has boomed the best is defiantly yet to come IMHO, stock levels have dropped but we still need a but more tightness before the sheep come running and push it all up

Back