If a property is rented furnished, does the bond cover damage to furniture?

Hi all,

I have just been to my IP for the first time since tenants left in Aug. They rented the house furnished but there are some things the agent did not note before the bond was released.

Door handles through the gyprock walls (even with door stops), broken hoover, plastic outdoor chair missing one leg, cracked tiles, 2 broken bed coasters on one bed - now slanting and propped up with cardboard, missing set of 6 glass tumblers and missing 3 white mugs from a set of 6.

Does their bond cover damage to these items since they rented it furnished? They paid 6 weeks in bond becasue its a furnished property. The agent noticed that the set of 6 glass tumblers were missing so she bought a new set of 6 from the bond money but missed the mugs, outdoor chair, tile, walls and bed.

On the weekend I was there, I bought replacement mugs and outdoor chair since I it was going to be rented for race week and so I needed these items on the weekend before they moved in today.

Now that the bond has been released, can I get reimbursed for the items I paid for (chair and mugs) and have them organise the repairs of the tile, walls and bed? The cost of the repairs not my responsbility.

The agents know that these were the only tenants I have had in the place because I have an exclusive agreement with them and its been vacant for most of this year.

Thanks in advance,

PETA

It should be taken from the bond, but once the bond is released then there is nothing you can do except try to take it up with the property managers and seek compensation from them directly for not carrying out a property final inspeciton.

We rent furnished, and I inspected it before the bond was released. I would suggest an open and honest discussion with the PM! I would certainly expect those items to be covered, although wear and tear would need to be considered. Sounds like they didnt do their job properly.

That's what I am irritated about - PM said this am that she didnt notice the missing leg on chair and that she bought new mugs but they were left in the office - I didnt know this and I needed them on the weekend for the race ppl.

I want the walls fixed though becasue it reduces the look and feel of the place and means other tenants may not worry so much about adding damage because it doesnt get fixed.

She tried to tell me she was going to check the entry report to see if the damage was there before they moved in - I said "property was in beautiful condition before they moved in and that because I had an exclusive agreement with them, they would know that these tenants are the only tenants I have had since they were the PM's. Therefore, the damage is from them and not anyone, or anything else.

She missed the bed, tile, mugs, hoover and carvings on the kitchen bench so I am not surprised she missed the holy walls! I am not expecting to see money from the tenants but I am hoping it will come from the agents since she admitted to missing the chair....

What can I do if they start talking as if I have to pay for the repairs? Any advice?

You may need to cover the repairs through insurace - I have never had a PM pay for anything.....even if they mucked up.

Cheers,

The Y-man

Insurance is great if damages will cost well over $300 (to make it worth lodging a claim) becasue that is my excess so repairs will come straight out of my pocket anyway...

Back