If I remove dishwasher will that decrease my rent?

Hi everyone,

Basically ive just installed floating floors through my 1 bedroom apartment in Bondi Junction.

Im thinking of removing the dishwasher in the kitchen for possible future headaches like flooding and ruining the floors ive just laid, also its one less expense if it breaks down and needs replacing some day.

Would this impact on the amount of rent I would get?

Ive been living here for almost 6 months and never used it once, I dont think its that important for a 1 bedder.

any suggestions.

cheers

Dishwasher will increase rentability of the property, wont necessarily increase rent. If it does, something low like $5 pw.

Unless you fill the hole in and remove the electrical/plumbinig hookup, whats to stop a tenant putting their own unit in?

i was just going to put a cpouple of shelves or something in there, maybe for a microwave to sit on etc, ill go to ikea and get something

yea i will pull the plumbing out, so another cant be fitted, its a really tiny hole anyway, most dishwashers wouldn fit in there i think.

if its not going to decrease my rent i think i will remove it.

dont think i would ever have problems renting it, its smack bang in the middle of the junction, yet on a quiet street.

I cannot see any more chance of the dishwasher flooding the new floors than some tenant leaving the plug in the sink and letting the sink overflow, or even a leak under the sink...

I'd leave it there.

If you pull it out, you will need to patch the hole where the power cable & drainage runs otherwise you will have instant access for cockroaches, just something else to consider.

Unless the dishwasher is old and unserviceable I would leave it there, granted it is generally unwarranted in a one bedder but in the days BC, we still used ours, just took longer to fill with two people.

Rentwise, it will knock $5-10 per week (think almost replacement value annually), and a hole in the cupboards as open shelving at low level is a dust/dirt trap which will also knock off a few $$ to the appeal - one week's lost rent because of no dishwasher will take a long time to recoup.

Im thinking of removing the dishwasher in the kitchen for possible future headaches like flooding and ruining the floors ive just laid, also its one less expense if it breaks down and needs replacing some day.

You should also try removing tenants, also saves lots of time and hassle and expense.

Back