If there are no BIR's, is it worth installing wardrobes in every room?

For example these are only $200 each:

http://m.ikea.com/au/en/catalog/products/art/30270137/

Sure they could already own one, but people seem to love BIR's so I figure a lot of renters don't. They may own a tall boy / dresser and miscellaneous other storage items but not wardrobes. There are so many new townhouses these days with BIR's that I figure I'll need this to compete with my older house that don't have them. Is this likely to attract tenants in a slow rental market?

I've always installed robes into our houses that didn't have them for this same reason.

I always build myself (framed, plaster etc & coz I can).
I think some of those kit types are weak as (you know what) - mine will last as long as the house & easily repairable, if need be.

I usually only do what I percieve as the main bedroom/s though, like say 1 or 2 out of 3 as kids usually don't need robes (in my book anyways).

I thought so. I mentioned it to my parents and they were like what??? Why are you paying for the tenants' furniture?! But I see it differently.

And agree the quality of that robe ain't great, but I figure it should last / look good for 5 years or so. $200 for 5 years ain't bad, especially since I don't have the time or money to spend building one right now.

Last edited:
Not bad for $200. Dombas? Is that how the swedish say dumbass? :D

Thry seem to weigh a bit which is a good sign. Around 86kg in 2x cartons.

It's certainly a nice to have.

A portable wardrobe generally isn't as spacious as a built-in.

I've also moved wardrobes up and down stairs in unit blocks and it is no fun. Tenants would have the same opinion.

For the IP I am buying, the master has a BIR whilst the two other bedrooms don't. Fortunately the 2nd bedroom has a nook that will suit a BIR, so one of the first things being done is to install a BIR.

Here's what I did. Got a tenant in who purchased some top range IKEA wardrobes, he put them together in the bedrooms and then realised he couldn't get them out through the doors when he moved out without pulling them apart - so I scored some nice robes for free!

I wouldn't do every room but the main bedroom definitely needs a wardrobe. If you are handy you can buy second hand mirror robes on Ebay. Just make sure they have all the tracks as they are expensive. And check the height. The width can be adjusted a bit.
I think your idea is all right in a cheap house or for a second bedroom.

I would like to do in my IP, the second and third rooms. Both have perfect nook for it. YouTube videos make it look easy but I'm not that handy to do it. What would it cost for a basic material say 3 metres long for a tradesman to build a BIR.

Back