If Western Australia emancipated from the rest of Australia.

Would you move to Western Australia if it was emancipated from the rest of Australia?

• Yes

Votes: 5 19.2%
  • No

Votes: 20 76.9%
  • Unsure

Votes: 1 3.8%

• Total voters
Would you move to Western Australia to live if it was emancipated from the rest of Australia?

Wouldn't Western Australia be just an economic super power if it was a country unto itself. I could imagine many people moving there permanently to live from other states should it ever happen. I know it's never likely to happen, but it would be interesting to see a process like this take place.

Until mining collapses.

Plenty of WA'ers talk of leaving Australia.

Isn't there a section in the constitution saying that leaving the Commonwealth can result in force used to reintegrate you?

Then WA would have its own currency with inflation through the roof.

'Australia' would let 'WA' live it's own little world for approximately 12 months then 'Australia' would invade 'WA' as 'WA' has no military to defend themselves then all 'WA' assets would no longer be theirs and the rest of Australia would live happily ever after. :)

I don't get it! My opinion is - Do you realise how small Austalia is? Over time, the gap is only going to get smaller, not bigger.

No, my wife flies over there every few weeks for her sales role and she finds the customers that she meets to be mean spirited and rude. Also she says things are comparatively expensive there.

We've been trying to do the same for the Hunter Valley for decades but Sydney won't let it's cash cow go.

As an area we provide 4x the state average in cash into the coffers, but receive back "less" than x1

WA is not self sustaining.
secede,
and the value of them mines is reduced to subsistence,
the ore trains, equipment belong to east coast companies
ore traded for just enough to avoid starvation
cash to the east coast holding companies
you cant eat ore

google search for the equivalent situation would be 'Quebec' they too have big speeches, and small food supplies

You obviously dont know WA is home to Australia's (if not the world's) elitists military regimental force.
The majority of whom are from the other states, and who are sworn to service; madge, heirs and successors according to law and all that
the oath of service is a big thing, not set aside lightly in favor of political BS,
placed securely within enemy territory, a position that substantiates their role and training,
that would be a serious thorn in the side of the newly seceded wa

Last edited:
Then WA would have its own currency with inflation through the roof.

'Australia' would let 'WA' live it's own little world for approximately 12 months then 'Australia' would invade 'WA' as 'WA' has no military to defend themselves then all 'WA' assets would no longer be theirs and the rest of Australia would live happily ever after. :)

As an economist, this is always the first thing I think of. How could we possibly defend our borders... we don't have the ability to do that now in the event of invasion, can you imagine trying to defend the new WA border with NT/SA as well?!

Let alone all the other things that would need to be put in place... like a health care system, tax system, etc etc... it's an economist's nightmare (but a beaurocrat's dream maybe!).

It's not going to happen. WA will not secede. No point.

Our Treasurer has quit state politics to come over there to Canberra and sort you lot out from the inside.

There's more than one way for us WA folk to skin the east coast cat.

Funny this is, of all the referendums WA has had, the one and only agreed to was the secession vote way back in the early 1900's.

Go figure.

only if it stopped dopey eastern-staters ringing me at at 6am on public holidays "oh sorry.... didn't realise, duh"

or maybe the Bank of Western Australia may adopt WST and observe WA public holidays... that would be novel

Back