If you were getting married today, or you had to help pay for a wedding for your chil

If you were getting married today, how much would you spend?

• Under $5000 You can have a great day for a little cost with a bit of planning.

Votes: 35 34.0%
  • Up to $10k I'm cost conscious, & know I can still get all the trimmings in this price range.

Votes: 27 26.2%
  • $10-25k

Votes: 23 22.3%
  • $25-40k

Votes: 12 11.7%
  • Over $40k I only want the best.

Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Price isn't important to me. Mum & Dad will foot the bill.

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I am missing the formaldehyde bit :confused:

Anyway Modal Harmony, this just goes to show that for a fantastic price, you can get beautiful dresses. They look really lovely.

I was married 21 years ago and really we both would have liked a simple day but me being the only girl in my family, my mother really had her way and I just grinned and put up with it. I didn't like being the centre of attention to be honest, and nor did hubby. Everyone fussing over us is just not our style.

I did have a gorgeous dress, which we had a dressmaker make a pattern for, and which my mother sewed and beaded. It was really beautiful and cost probably $300 (21 years ago, dresses were $1K to $2K from memory).

I have three boys, and depending on the percentage of "princess" in their future brides, we will try to convince them to have the wedding they want, but to think about not spending such a lot on ONE DAY :eek:

Wylie

We got swept up in the "it only happens once in your life....so don't worry about the cost". What's the jeweller's advertising line ??.....a month's salary divided by a lifetime is very small. Indeed.

I wish I could use that line on all my tenants....and have a great big fat sugar daddy standing behind the lovely couple ready to pay all of my exhorbitant charges. The modern marriage market is a sweet honeypot to tap into if you are lucky enough.

Our wedding day revolved around the number 15. We got married about 15 years ago, spent 15K on the day, previously spent another 15K on the engagement ring, and went on a 15 day honeymoon.

At the time, I was big time into shares, and I couldn't help equating the total cost of our wedding to be worth 4,000 CBA shares. If we had of kept living how we were and bought them instead, they'd be worth over 200K and producing about 9K p.a. every year in tax free dividends. She was an expensive day !!!

On the bright side, we're still happily married and the cost is a distant memory. The alternative word starting with D.....can't bring myself to say it - far too expensive.....doesn't bear thinking about.

I'm sure most would agree the cost of the marriage day has absolutely diddly squat to do with the success or failure of a marriage....IMO. It's a long hard grafting marathon, similar in nature to successful property investing. I wonder if there is a correlation between the two. Dr Thomas Stanley reckons there is a strong link, with the vast majority of multi-millionaires (98%) being still on their first marriage and have kids.

Dr Thomas Stanley reckons there is a strong link, with the vast majority of multi-millionaires (98%) being still on their first marriage and have kids.

BRW Rich 200 bucks the trend then. Fair few divorces, 2nd & 3rd wives etc. in there. Perhaps the odds increase again once you become mega rich. :p

Very interesting post !!!

Each to their own.

I can understand the bride wanting to look stunning and put on show of her life and at the same time I can understand the wedding just being a form of ceremony to tell people that "I am married (to this person)". Which side you take would really depend on your cultural background, values, goals etc.

If I did have $10 million to spare, then I wouldn't mind spending $40K on a wedding.

If I only had $10K to spare, spending $40K on a wedding would be a big problem for me.

If I could recoup all the wedding costs from the guests and relatives to the wedding I wouldn't care how much the wedding costs. Let the parents decide what is most appropriate. After all they are recouping their money that they planted many years ago and they money that have to return many years into the future.

We opted to spend our money on ourselves. We took off to Hawaii for 3 weeks and got married - just the two of us - over there.

All organised and planned over there. Easy as, and so much less pressure. Although we did put quite a few noses out of joint. We figured somebody would be put out no matter what we decided anyway.

For us it was THE best decision. Can't get much more romantic than on the beach at sunset in Hawaii.

Sunshine

Ours cost under $2k including honeymoon. We were married in a registry office in Surrey, England with 5 friends present. Had lunch at a very old pub down the road. Then used frequent flyer points to go to Jamaica, Florida and a quick 5 day stay in Australia. It was awesome. :D

I have attended some lavish weddings and they are fantastic too. :D

wedding on the cheap

My wedding was on the cheap. Wedding in church, reception in church catered by Church people I knew, As it was a church - no alcohol was allowed .
( Guests were quite happy without alcohol and surprised they could have a good time without it). Plus guests did not have to travel far from Church to Reception. Honeymoon was cheap too.
However have one property almost paid off 12 years later.
I do not think the problem is how much is spent !
what is a problem is when people go into debt to have their special one day of wedding and spend the next four or five years paying off the debt.

Getting married in 6 weeks and spending somewhere around $10K. Have spent a bit in some areas ($1K on a couple of old Jags) and not so much in others (reception @ our house). I was hoping to only spend $5K but I get accused of being tight quite frequently

Dazza, you are hard to fathom. On your own admission you can be a real pr!ck but then you make a SNAG post as above. (insert "confused" smile here)

Your point is well taken: Divorce is the greatest wealth hazard known to man.

We opted to spend our money on ourselves. We took off to Hawaii for 3 weeks and got married - just the two of us - over there.

All organised and planned over there. Easy as, and so much less pressure. Although we did put quite a few noses out of joint. We figured somebody would be put out no matter what we decided anyway.

For us it was THE best decision. Can't get much more romantic than on the beach at sunset in Hawaii.

Sunshine

Hi Sunshine,

Where did you get married in Hawaii? Oh, I want to go back!! :D

Geoff and I are eternally grateful to my parents for hosting our wedding in Hawaii this year. We got married in Kauai amongst 50 of our closest friends and family, and we were in absolute paradie the entire time, it was incredible!! Our guests paid their own airfare/accomodation (keeps the numbers down ;) ), Geoff and I paid for our own flights, wedding/engagement rings, honeymoon and travel costs.

My parents paid for the wedding, as well as some functions held throughout the week - I think it cost about $15k-$20k with the flights, accomodation, etc.

Geoff and I lived the high life on our honeymoon - which is actually pretty funny as we're so stingy with most of our lives - but that honeymoon week was the most expensive, incredible week I've ever had in my life. Maybe that's why we're so stingy - so we can splash out when it matters?

I'm still embarrased with myself about how much some things cost - but oh man, it was the most incredible wedding week (plus 1 week honeymoon) I could have ever imagined. I enjoyed every single second of it, including the entire wedding day - no nerves, no stress, it was just the most fun day I could ever have imagined! I could relive those 2 weeks over and over and never be sick of it.

Worth the money - for our situation (family in USA and Oz), defiintly! But I've been to some weddings held on a $2k budget that were incredible as well.

If you're happy, that's what matters in the end! :D

Cheers,
Jen

can't say the whole thing does much for me, we were cruising thru Vegas so sealed the deal with a singing Elvis for about $500 and had burger king and a beer afterwards. most exciting wedding I have been to!

Serious?....Is that recognised in Australia?
On a Contiki tour (the fatal one where I met MrsW) we were warned that a wedding in Vegas is not "pretend"- it it legally recognised.

To the point that two people had decided to have a "wedding". But it was only when they got back to South Africa, that they found that they were legally wed. They had to go back to Vegas to get a quickie divorce- it was cheaper and quicker than any other method.

Well, it might not pass Mythbusters (TV and Internet have made me much more cynical now) but it's a good story ;)

Our wedding was in Mexico City. We were married in style, in what Time Magazine Mexico had rated as the best restaurant and venue in Mexico City- a beautiful old "hacienda". It was hugely cheaper than any venue which I could have found in Sydney at the time.

That was early in 1988. Another event which saved us a considerable amount of cost was the stock market crash of 1987. The very few people who may have otherwise been able to get to Mexico could no longer afford to go. A very one sided wedding- nobody at all who I knew. [edit: BEFORE I met MrsW! I had met her, family, friends, and other Mexicans. But no Aussies could make it.]

Though MrsW had a considerable amount invested in the Mexican stock market at the time. She sold it all at a big loss. If only we had understood about market cycles.

Last edited:
A very one sided wedding- nobody at all who I knew. [edit: BEFORE I met MrsW! I had met her, family, friends, and other Mexicans. But no Aussies could make it.]

Same here. First wedding was us and our two witnesses in fron of a judge.(who was later disbarred)
My second marriage was in Melbourne.Rob had some of his family and friends. It was all good.Married at a park by a celebrant and reception at his mom's house.I went to Australia for my honeymoon and rob came to Canada.

There is a little shop just down the road from me that proclaims "Get married here - only $199) or something like that. That would do me. then just get all the friends and family for a BBQ on the beach... in the Caribbean or the Maldives where a friend of mine eloped. Apparently hotels in the Maldives offer marriage specials where they take care of everything including photograpy/cake etc for around a few thousand $$$. From the photos they brought back - it looked fantastic - very tropical and romantic. And no in-laws to bugger up her special day.

Back