If you're still poor at 35, you deserve it!

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology' started by neK, 17th May, 2015.

1. neK

neK Member

I came across this the other day :)

Enjoy.

https://vulcanpost.com/7702/jack-ma-youre-still-poor-35-deserve/

2. bob shovel

bob shovel Muppet

Very interesting read! The mind set and attitude is such a big part! A few years ago i didn't understand and would automatically thinker spruiker or BS! definitely a key part of moving forward!

I did share it on my Facebook to see what bites i get from friends! I still have a few years to go to meet the dead line!

3. esh

esh Member

Love it and love the directness of it. Good motivation for Monday coming up!

4. datto

datto Member

Media:
    sydney, westie - middle class bogan (MCB)
    So there is hope for me! yeeha!

5. Ausprop

Ausprop Member

Media:
    got lucky and is now smug. The road to riches is littered with plenty of entrepreneurial wrecks. Hopefully he can grow and find some humility

Biz likes this.
  6. D.T.

D.T. Property Lookerafterer

Media:
    Agree with the title.
    35 is plenty of time to get traveling out of your system, get your career or business going and plow into setting up a good life

7. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Member

Media:
    Agree. Even when you think you've made it, prosperity is not necessarily permanent.

Eg the story of Colonel Sanders who tried numerous things before succeeding hugely with his franchising at around age 70. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colonel_Sanders

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. VYBerlinaV8

VYBerlinaV8 Member

A good friend of mine has tried his damndest to start a tech company over the past few years. He is well qualified (undergrad and postgrad), well experienced and has tipped in over $300k of his own money.

He had an interesting product, and did the design and testing himself. He holds several patents for his technology.

After 4 years of trying to get it off the ground, he has finally given up in disgust.

Hard work and smarts are key in starting the next Apple or Microsoft, but for every one who succeeds there are probably a thousand or more who fail.

9. jerrybee

jerrybee Member

A lot of people for reasons out of their control have to start from scratch mid way through their lives. I don't think this is a fair statement. It just discourages people from thinking it's never too late. I think someone that has been dealt a **** hand and manages to recover at 50 to be more inspiring than someone who has made it at 20. I had all the courage in the world at 20. If I were to lose everything at 35-45-55, I don't think I'd have the same drive to start again as I've seen others do.

10. truong

truong Member

Just realised I am a stupid, lazy coward.

11. neK

neK Member

What i was more interested in was reading up on Juliet Wu Shihong.

12. Biz

Biz $17 DOLLAS YO!

Agree, there are plenty of people who try very hard and don't succeed for one reason or another. A lot of it has to do with bumping into the right people at the right times. Hard work and ideas will only get you so far, you have to meet the right people or be in the right circles from there for it to really take off.

I reckon all you can do is work hard and have the right mindset so you are always learning and improving your situation. The doors that open anything beyond that is just luck and outside your control.

13. BayView

BayView Member

Media:
    What is "poor" though?

What is "poor" though?

At 35, I was in PPoR no.2, paying it off madly, married and no kids, running my own business with decent (not huge) income - but no other wealth...I guess that would be construed as poor to some.

At that point a lot of my time and money had been "wasted" on doodads and other lifestyle stuff, but ambition and work ethic was (still is) there to succeed and get ahead.

I never regarded myself as poor - just hadn't gotten to "rich" yet.

Absolutely.

I know (in the golf world) literally hundreds of blokes and girls who worked their backsides off, and never got to a level where they could make a living out of playing the game....one example.

14. Tonibell

Tonibell Member

How do you work your backside off at golf - by hitting more golf balls ? :)

If that is work then you have picked the wrong profession.

Most people I know that have worked hard on getting an education / qualification and then worked hard in their job - well, they have done alright.

The strike rate for rock and sports stars is a good deal less.

Of course the lower percentage is those people who have done alright income wise and then invested it well.

15. Deltaberry

Deltaberry Member

Yea big saying by Jack Ma in China last 12 months.

Some truth to it. But easy to say once you've become the richest man in China and second richest in Asia.

The saying should probably be, if you're still poor at 35, the odds of getting rich are probably stacked against you.

Doesn't mean you can't breakthrough, but you'll need to double the effort or just get more lucky than others. It's just a mindset thing.

16. LeoT

LeoT Member

I agree with Jack that if someone (I believe most but not all) cant be financially secure by 35 its completely their doing. Doesn't mean they cant be 'rich' by 45 or 50 though.

Leo