Ignorance is.....not bliss

Hi All,

There has been a lot of talk about property these days. Not just on the forum (duh) but at work as well. Every second person I speak to is either buying a home or selling and upgrading. Which is interesting and with me having a great interest in property, I've shed light on properties that colleagues are considering or run price finder reports for them.

But something is really getting to me. I understand some people like to live in inner west. But what really got to me is their condescending attitude towards the west. I was telling someone how there was a fire in Wentworthville lit up by a shop owner. And this person commented how she had heard there was a lot of crime in Wentworthville. Crime can happen anywhere in Sydney (it happens in Redfern too...despite it being "expensive"). So I said to this person, Wentworthville several houses are touching mid 900's and mostly 600k+. It's not cheap by any means and it's desirable for families...AND it's 4min train ride to Parramatta while 30-35min to the city (with the new timetable coming into effect next week). This person (in late 30's) would only buy in inner west and they are finding it challenging to buy something due to the prices rising and auctions going ballistic.

This sort of attitude annoys me because some people have no plan for their financial future, have a vision for a dream home (nothing wrong with that)....but dismissing Sydney's West. Btw, to add our portfolio has seen a 25% growth in just the last year and a half alone - conservatively speaking. I do anticipate being told that we were "lucky" when we bought.

There are exceptions as we all know, but for me personally the journey has been one where I have delayed gratification in many ways, sacrificed a bit to make things work. This could be due to not having brought up in this country most of my childhood? Could be due to realising what a precious opportunity it was to be in this lucky country and making it happen?

I didn't want to start another thread bashing people who like inner west etc. But I just wanted to see what people think? I think it's about looking at the big picture and potential an asset offers you. But it takes a hell lot of self training to think along those lines if you've never seen it happen in your life...

Thoughts?

It's just human nature. East and west never got on. Prejudice will always be there. Just ignore it. Otherwise you'll cut your hair like me.. and hate those sn*bs on the east side.

I don't know the outer west at all but you will find these people everywhere - the ones with champagne taste and beer budgets. They want to live immediately in the good suburb and not have to work their way up the suburb ladder.

They don't want to start with a flat, they want to start with a house
They don't want to start far from the city, they want to be an easy commute
They don't want to live somewhere........

They want to live like the last house they had when they left home. Forgetting that their parents didn't always live there and had moved and upgraded as their incomes got better etc.

They also don't want to hear that you can make money from bad suburbs - in fact more money than good suburbs sometimes! They may or may not want to live there but those gentrification suburbs are often excellent for the portfolio.

Meh

Im a Nerangutang (someone that lives in Nerang) and as Seech put it so well, Nerang makes the outer west of Syd run and hide in a corner :), though if you need your Harley or Triumph fixed or want a great tatoo we have great artisans in both those areas

reality is that this sort of stuff is more tribal than anything else I reckon.

Comes down to a simple fear of most humans from other class or caste systems. Seems to work across all races, spiritual beliefs and financial class.

Once we put our fears aside, and relate with the other tribes we soon realise we arent any different at all, and our greatest similarity is that of our human weaknesses and strengths.

ta
rolf

We have a similar rivalry in Perth between south of the river and north of the river.

I grew up south of the river and have lived north of the river for the past 15 years.

Stevie Wonder summed it up best;

"We all know that people are the same where ever you go
there is good and bad in everyone
we learn to live we learn to give each other what we need to survive together alive

Ebony and Ivory live together in perfect harmony
side by side on my piano keyboard oh lord why don't we"?

I don't know the outer west at all but you will find these people everywhere - the ones with champagne taste and beer budgets. They want to live immediately in the good suburb and not have to work their way up the suburb ladder.

They don't want to start with a flat, they want to start with a house
They don't want to start far from the city, they want to be an easy commute
They don't want to live somewhere........

They want to live like the last house they had when they left home. Forgetting that their parents didn't always live there and had moved and upgraded as their incomes got better etc.

They also don't want to hear that you can make money from bad suburbs - in fact more money than good suburbs sometimes! They may or may not want to live there but those gentrification suburbs are often excellent for the portfolio.

Yep. Can so relate to that. I was living in a "good" suburb when I had the opportunity to but my first home. It was in the west. The horrified looks I got from people was incredible. The plan was to live there for 5 years (ended up being 7) and I doubled my money allowing me to put a 50% deposit on a house in Baulkham Hills.
When we started looking in Baulkham Hills friends/family kept saying (behind our backs) "they can't afford to buy in Baulkham Hills". Those that were still trying to save to buy into a "decent" area had gone nowhere as prices had doubled in 7 years and they hadn't saved enough.

I get comments like "I wouldn't buy a house I wouldn't live in". Crazy. So buy the expensive place with 4% yield and keep working forever so you can save on tax. Meanwhile I'll retire on my rents.

You can only tell people what you do. They will do what they want. Sometimes people ask what they should do but really they just want confirmation that their way is good. If you don't give them affirmation they will just seek someone who will.

Several people at work say "I should do that" (buy properties) but they never go any further than that.

"When the student is ready the teacher will appear" Buddhist proverb.

People are often influenced by an impression they may have without knowing anything about the place.

In Canberra, people often look down on us people in Queanbeyan- to the point that one of my daughter's teachers made a remark about people from Queanbeyan that in any other context would have been termed extremely racist.

There was an article many years ago in the SMH discussing where the North Shore started. The cartoon showed a very hooty tooty lady saying "The North Shore begins and ends with me".

It's investment, so who cares what others think.

One of my friends once referred to me as a 'slum-lord', to which I replied "thanks, that block of flats produces the best cash flow of the whole portfolio".

People make excuses like this to make themselves feel better (or at least OK). See it for what it is, and don't pop their little bubble. After all, they have excuses, but we have financial freedom.

If it's for PPOR, I might think twice, not because anywhere in Sydney West is bad, but because I'm not sure which part is safe to walk at night and don't want the additional precaution if I can help it.
Through Police news, certain suburbs do come up frequently for serious crimes. And partner will say a definite "no" to live around those area as I'm apparently "clumsy and insensitive to safety and people's ill intention".

If it's investment, I think "Sydney west" or anything with similar 'reputation' won't be an issue. Heck, if I have the chance, knowledge and fund 3 years ago, I will buy one. Right now most of the places seems to be too hot to buy.

If it's for PPOR, I might think twice, not because anywhere in Sydney West is bad, but because I'm not sure which part is safe to walk at night and don't want the additional precaution if I can help it.

So you think Redfern or Neutral Bay are safer and people don't get abducted/killed there?

A friend of mine (lives across the road from an ex-prime minister in Wollstonecraft) thinks any suburb west of Lane Cove River is in the western suburbs. This causes a few arguments with friends living near North Ryde.

I've heard a few people say that anything west of Town Hall is the western suburbs (that cracks me up). Any suburb on the water west of Gladesville bridge is riverfront (and where the $%^ is Henley, Tennyson Point or Putney?)

On Redfern I still won't walk or ride a bike down Everleigh Street but I have toured the block using Google Streetview...start your tour from 77 Caroline Street here...
http://www.realestate.com.au/property-terrace-nsw-redfern-113548407
There's so much vacant land in the block now that you could graze sheep there.

Last edited:
So you think Redfern or Neutral Bay are safer and people don't get abducted/killed there?

Hiya MsAli.

Nope, I won't say Redfern is safe. Were looking to rent there 2 years ago as it's the most affordable part of city. I asked police station, they said people get mugged in front of the police station :eek:. Walked around to see the people. And then run the hell out. It's just not an area I personally want to walk around at night.

Neutral Bay/ Mosman - I know there were corpse floating last year. Chatswood (I'm living here) had an armed robbery just a couple months ago. So no, I'm not saying that crimes don't happen in these area. But I do know in certain suburbs (not limited to Western Sydney), the types of crimes are ... people walked at 8pm and get stabbed, someone in a jeep were stabbed in the neck as the mugger want the car, police said there's blood shed every week, etc. etc.

One of my friends once referred to me as a 'slum-lord', to which I replied "thanks, that block of flats produces the best cash flow of the whole portfolio".

Just because it's a slum doesn't mean that it is cheap. Have you ever checked out the interest rates on pawn broker loans or pay day loans? Now that's how to make a serious dollar.

We have a similar rivalry in Perth between south of the river and north of the river.

There is a difference though - north of the river is where the cool kids hang out :p

Although I must confess there are multiple places south (or SOR as we like to say) that I would love to live in.

People make excuses like this to make themselves feel better (or at least OK). See it for what it is, and don't pop their little bubble. After all, they have excuses, but we have financial freedom.

Love it, it's just their insecurity screaming... being the stronger one, I'm sure you'll just laugh and walk away....:D

Back