Ikea, Home Master, Bunnings

Heya people

I'm planning to add a new kitchen. I was thinking getting Ikea, but then my friend suggests Homemaster or Bunnings.

what do you think about them or any other recommendations?

Cheers

I'm sure there are previous threads on this you could search regarding quality etc. and some people may have updated info.

However, FYI/reminder that you can get 5% off wishcards, one way is through the entertainment book, that can be used at Masters.

Also Ikea had a pretty good deal last year during Christmas with essentially 20% off gift vouchers (for every $100 gift voucher they gave you a $20 gift voucher). Pretty big gamble and long wait though to see if they do the promo again.

I've seen some great (and not so great) retail 'flat-pack' kitchens. The best one I have seen was an Ikea kitchen, it had a fantastic gloss finish which I'm told is a higher quality than the Bunnings versions.

I specified a Bunnings kitchen last year for a client renovating their investment property, but ONLY because they could deliver it in a week and we had a very tight time frame.

I was pleasantly surprised actually. I would normally recommend going direct to a manufacturer who works with the public rather than a mass produced crowd where you often don't get the quality.

However the range we used (Kaboodle) was quite well made with white gloss vinyl wrapped doors and drawer fronts. It came with a 10 year guarantee too which I thought was good. I did find there was quite a limited selection when it came to the bench-top colours though. Not sure what Masters is like but I do know Ikea has a reasonable selection (though not many of them come 'off-the-shelf').

Regardless of who you use to supply the cabinetry, good installation is key.

Here are a few before and after photos. The kink at the end was unfortunate but necessary otherwise we'd have been stuck with the same (squashed) layout as previously!

(Can't figure out out how to insert the image in here so here is a link)
http://hotspaceconsultants.com/sneak-peak/309-bowen-tce

Good luck - hope that helps.

Hi mysrh,

I've just added a bit to my thread about kitchen quotes between the 3 stores because I didn't want to hi-jack yours. It's the Masters or Bunnings thread, check it out if you want to - good luck!

All good

we have tenants moving out of an IP in April and we plan on replacing the kitchen. Have compared Bunnings, Masters, Ikea and Mitre 10 and have settled on getting the cabinets and doors etc from Ikea and the benchtop from Bunnings. The ikea laminate bench tops look nothing like the photos in real life and we were quite disappointed, whereas the 'marquee' brand that bunnings stock looks quite good (although they don't seem to advertise them on their website).

Ikea and Bunnings were similar priced in terms of complete kitchen (i think about $100 difference) however Ikea's came with all soft close drawers and doors (bunnings were a lot dearer to add these), carousels in each of the corner base cabinets (whereas bunnings just had a fixed shelf). Masters was more expensive, and Mitre10 more expensive again.

we have tenants moving out of an IP in April and we plan on replacing the kitchen. Have compared Bunnings, Masters, Ikea and Mitre 10 and have settled on getting the cabinets and doors etc from Ikea and the benchtop from Bunnings. The ikea laminate bench tops look nothing like the photos in real life and we were quite disappointed, whereas the 'marquee' brand that bunnings stock looks quite good (although they don't seem to advertise them on their website).

Ikea and Bunnings were similar priced in terms of complete kitchen (i think about $100 difference) however Ikea's came with all soft close drawers and doors (bunnings were a lot dearer to add these), carousels in each of the corner base cabinets (whereas bunnings just had a fixed shelf). Masters was more expensive, and Mitre10 more expensive again.

Just double check the quality of the "Marquee" top , this is bunnings own cheap brand which they source many cheaper items under.

Just finished an ikea kicthen and definitely recommend!!

Google bunnings and there are a lot of bad reviews, fading etc

Ikea online design tool is so much better and easier to use. Bunnungs may have lifted their game as i have noticed the stores are installing better displays now??

As for price when I started looking ikea was cheaper, but in saying there would be very little in it. The ikea experience was not a nightmare like i envisaged!! Im looking forward to the next one!!

As for benchtops I was going to do a concrete top myself but as we changed from living there to renting, I pretty much asked ikea for cheapest of whatever colour they had in stock on the day! Got a black laminate, looks great! Check the sizes at bunnings before mixing cabinets/brands a i noticed the bunnings ones were a slightly smaller width, that wouldnt work for my situation.

Hi guys

truly grateful for all the replies and ideas.

I will go to homemaster and have a look at their kitchen.

I went to Ikea, heard they have different quality of wood, and the benchtop can be stone layered.

To be honest, I never know Bunnings do kitchen, I've seen a lot of their bathroom stuffs.

My wife and I will be living in this house till we can afford to get bigger house so I prefer a good quality kitchen, especially since she loves cooking:D

When my wife saw our completed ikea kitchen she was blown away why she ever wanted to get one from the fancy showroom place that wanted 15-20k for the same thing! Depends if you can find a cheap kitchen insatller as I did find one who was a reasonable price, cant recall the quote but basically it was Ikea+labour. I kept the labour portion installing myself plus installed extra little features that would have cost me more

I think if you look at the bottom of the web page or even call Ikea and ask if the flatpack KITCHEN, BATHROOM or LAUNDRY cabinets have ANY waranty against water or moisture (they are wet areas) they will and should say no ( read it also as stated at bottom of page)

they are not my choice as im not keen on "melamine carcases"
I prefer HMR (heat and moisture resistant) particle board that the rest offer.

my choice is kaboodle (kitchen only not laundry as its the same garbage as Ikea almost now)

that is my opinion only !

most other kitchens are good though

eden

What are people payiing for these kitchens?

They look pretty good for a flat pack. I think you can get better value by going direct to a kitchen place. Correct me if I'm wrong by showing photos with supply price.
The thing is you are restricted to standard sized cupboards. Most kitchens are not standard size so there are fill panels and wasted space.

I'll find some photos tonight of ours, can't do it on the phone. It was 3100 all up, . I think the closet from a kitchen guy was the 7 mark, two other process from more reputable places around 12..
For the cheapest one I Brooke up the price, I may still have it. All said install 1 day. There would have been some profit on that. I think there was still a grand at least which would be in their pockets on tip.

If you can do it, do it! You're paying for their labour, plus tools, factory, insurance, blah blah blah

Back