Ikea Kitchen - Before and After Pics

In reponse to Lindy (TwoPlus).

From this thread:

http://www.somersoft.com/forums/showthread.php?t=30296

As I did not want to hijack that thread, I thought I would start another one.

This is the first thread I've started so pls bear with me if I make any errors.

Sorry I if do.

Pictures before:

kitchen-before-02a.JPG

kitchen-before-01a.jpg

Pictures after:

kitchen-after-01.jpg

kitchen-after-03.jpg

Cheers.

Um, actually I thought I would post an idea of how much it costs too, if anyone was interested.

I had three quotes before I went to Ikea.

1. Fine Edge Kitchens in Chelsea Heights - $6900 installed
2. PT Cabinets in Springvale - $5400 installed
3. Kitchen Factory in Springvale - $4300 flat packed. Installation would be around and extra $600.

The Ikea kitchen cost $2500.

The above prices did not include electrical, plumbing, tiling or handles.

Handles I purchased for $2.50 each from WT Cabinet Fittings at 255 Princes Hwy, Dandenong. I was told about them from the Kitchen Factory, who buy from them.

The same handles at Bunnings are over $5 each. So they are a lot cheaper.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of an Ikea kitchen!

Needless to say I am quite happy with it :D Plus the sales staff at the Richmond store were very friendly :) She gave me a free lunch voucher at their in-house restaurant too! Yum.

Cheers.

We have used an Ikea kitchen before but the freestanding type. One of the reasons we used the freestanding one was because we thought someone would probably pull the back of the house off and add a new kitchen and deck and turn the old kitchen into a bedroom. It is much easier to reuse the freestanding ones without having to dismantle everything.

However, this kitchen looks terrific. One question I have ....

On the straight run from wall to wall, did you have to use any infill pieces, and if so, how does that work with the Ikea kitchen. I realise the benchtop is cup to measure exactly, but what about say a six inch gap between the carcass and the wall measurement. Was it easy to measure and fit?

Thanks, Wylie

Well done - looks terrific. I have been at the Richmond store working out whether I could put an Ikea kitchen in my son's house. Having looked at the examples I am sure I could, with help of son of course!!! :D

Do the staff help you work out which cabinets to buy? I have the measurements and where the taps are etc but not sure which cabinets I should buy to fit in. :confused:

Chris

On the straight run from wall to wall, did you have to use any infill pieces, and if so, how does that work with the Ikea kitchen. I realise the benchtop is cup to measure exactly, but what about say a six inch gap between the carcass and the wall measurement. Was it easy to measure and fit?

Thanks, Wylie

I didn't use any fill pieces, though I do believe Ikea have them if necessary.

My wall was 3.4m, so everything fit in well. There is a half a centimetre gap on each side nearest the wall, but it is not noticeable, and is small enough that I did not need a filler piece.

I suppose that it one of the things you have to put up with, not buying custom fitted cabinets.

If your gap is 6inch (approx 15cm), it would be better, in my opinion, to increase the size of one your cabinets by 10cm, so the gap left is only 5cm, which you can then put a filler. Or just leave a 2.5cm gap on each side :D

Cheers.

Do the staff help you work out which cabinets to buy? I have the measurements and where the taps are etc but not sure which cabinets I should buy to fit in. :confused:

Chris

Have you downloaded their 3D planner? It can be found on their website. Hang on, let me see if I can find the link. Okay here it is:

http://www.ikea.com/ms/en_AU/complete_kitchen_guide/planner_tool/download/index.html

Just put in your measurements and choose which cabinets you wish to put in, and re-arrange as desired. There is also a price button, which will tell you how much it will be. Handy!

The doors I chose were the Arlig design. Its the cheapest one available, and looks just like laminate. It does to me anyway. :p

The Abstrakt doors look amazing. High gloss (really shiny!) foil finish, but costs, from memory, something like three times as much! :eek: Looks mad though.

And assembling the cabinets is quite fun actually. Um, no harder than any other Ikea product. And I found their pictogram instructions very easy to follow.

Oh, their Richmond store is like a mini-city no? HU-MUN-GOUS. Felt tired just walking around. Lol. :D

congratulations
This is really nice, you have done well!!!
I have looked on ikea web site and cant find kitchen diy, am i looking wrong spot?
I am in situation where i really want to keep a carcass, just want new doors and top, Other owners in complex are being told by cabinet makers just to trash the lot.
If looked as good as yours maybe kit is way to go!!
again well done.

Dunsborough

edit, post above sent while i sending i think, i will look at web site mentioned ta

I am in situation where i really want to keep a carcass, just want new doors and top, Other owners in complex are being told by cabinet makers just to trash the lot.

Errm, the Ikea doors come in set sizes, made to fit their cabinets. So unless your door sizes are the same, it would be unlikely to fit. Especially if yours was a custom made kitchen in the first place.

ie. if you have a 55cm cabinet, you're not going to get a door for that, as Ikea cabinets don't come in that size.

Cheers.

And assembling the cabinets is quite fun actually. Um, no harder than any other Ikea product. And I found their pictogram instructions very easy to follow.
I remember a guy being interviewed, in hospital, in traction.

"The last thing I remember", he said, "was going for a flight in my Ikea hang glider".

Thanks Jumpinjack
definately various custom made sizes, so looks like off to cabinet maker, real pity as ikea, bunnings etc have some good looking doors
thanks again

Wow, the kitchen looks great.

my question is how did you install the overhead cupboards? what equipment do you need? was it easy to do by yourself?

I agree the cabinets are very easy to assemble. We bought horizontal cabinets before with the glass doors to use as overhead cupboards but stuffed up on the installation coz they were crooked! had to get a handyman to fix it up.

$2,500 is pretty good but the canibets are quite pricey...that just doesn't sound right. I'd need to pay $600+ just for 2 of the 110 X 55cm horizontal cuboards with the glass doors.

doors

Your new kitchen looks great! I was at ikea today, and was very impressed with what they had to offer - and the prices! I'll be using the same doors as you - like you said, the Abstrakt doors look beautiful but so much more expensive! The Arlig doors look fine and feel solid, so they'll do the job ;) Anyway, great job on the kitchen!

Hi,

Being a very non handy type of the person, i will be interested in how did you assemble it...

I have assembled a bed and tall boy from IKEA though but anything more i think i will nedd some help with....

thanks-

Handles I purchased for $2.50 each

The same handles at Bunnings are over $5 each.

.....but, you are shattering my long held media induced beliefs.

It says in big bold letters painted on every store...."Lowest prices are just the beginning"....

Are you telling me they've been lying to me all this time ??? :rolleyes:

One know has to wonder....the beginning of what ??

Sometimes when I read the bunnings ad "lowest prices are just the beginning...", I get creeped out; it could be the beginning of something like getting addicted to going to bunnings or some other evil plan by bunnings for world domination or something.

The assembly from IKEA (the units itself) is fairly straightforward; but drilling into the walls, levelling your stuff, thats another story. You'll also need to deal with details like making holes within your cabinets near the sink to accomodate for plumbing.

I share the same view wrt. doors. There are different ones; the cheapest one (its arlig right) is nice enough -using the more expensive ones look good but hack into your budget. IKEA can get pretty expensive depending on your choices...

(so to save money you need to choose cheaper doors, cheaper swing-type drawers rather than pull-out drawers).

Another philosophical tip I have is: perhaps kitchens look nicer with more space and less cabinets (a minimalistic look). That would save on your budget as well. A bit of a thought only sort of thing (i stuck to the standard quo with my last reno)

Cheers all

The assembly from IKEA (the units itself) is fairly straightforward; but drilling into the walls, levelling your stuff, thats another story. You'll also need to deal with details like making holes within your cabinets near the sink to accomodate for plumbing.
Cheers all

yeah that's the part I'm interested in. I mean first of all, how many hand helpers do you need for the overhead cupboards? there was just two of us and we found that impossibl to get the levelling right.

If the kitchen cost $2.5k, how long did it take you to install it? can it be done in a day? does ikea have professional installers that they can recommend? how much would 1 day cost? if it's another $1k for installation, I think that's quite alright too.

what we do to put in the overhead cupboards is nail a small spare piece of level timber (leave the nail sticking out for easy removal), so that the top of the timber piece is where the bottom of the cupboard would be. the cupboard then sits on this piece of timber while i strain my muscles to hold the cupboard flush against the wall while hubby checks it's level then screws it on with the drill.

seems to work every time - and once the support piece of timber is removed the tiles go over where the nail holes were.

My experience with an IKEA kitchen.

Depending how many components and what type are being purchased, it's not unusual to find that not all components are in stock at the time of purchase.
I experienced this with the ( white ) IKEA kitchen used for the last reno.
Needles to say all whites are not the same, unless they are purchased at the same time and are of the same batch.

The shade difference was not great, acceptable for a renter but not for a PPOR or a reno to sell.
Another disappointment was finding that the side panels are a different color white entirely.
That the kick boards where of yet another color.
The general ease at which the doors and panels can be damaged ( the panels have a very thin coating ).

Assembly of cabinets is easy.
Using a strip of timber fitted to the back wall instead of legs makes the job quicker and easier than trying to adjust the legs at the back and front of every cabinet.
I also used the strip of timber method to place the overheads giving me a level and hight to work to, this was then removed once the overheads where fastened to the wall.

Gerd

Back