Illawarra region for CG

So my ip was listed online for rent at 4pm yesterday. By 8am this morning agent rings to say 6 enquiries and one offering well over asking price. Did I mention I love Matt Knight :D:cool:

Ellejay thanks I am flattered but happily married :D

But I can't take too much credit for a tight rental market.

The rentals are tighter in some areas than others, I had a client recently compete a cosmetic reno and it took 2 weeks to get a tenant as it was in a cheaper area than your place. The locals have realised that bit of hillside was a bit undervalued and its in demand now.

Sorry for the cross post but FYI any south coasters we are having a Nowra meet up on 14 may check the meeting point section.

Iv been looking at a few properties around shellharbour and oak flats which are close to the beach/water. The marina is due to be completed also

What's everyone's thoughts on the region. There's been a few new developments around shell cove and there's even a sign for shell heights also now! Will there be too much supply ?

I do know that prices have risen already somewhat, but will the ripple effect from Sydney reach the Illawarra or has it passed ?

I'd say the ripple effect will affect some place north first in Wollongong area like Thirroul, Fairy Meadow, North Wollongong, Wollongong, then Figtree and Dapto first.

Looking further south passed nowra, would ulladulla and Batemans bay be worthy of a look for ip or is That getting into more holiday accom and reliant in seasonal tourism?

Yes, don't get anywhere near: Albion Park Rail, Berkeley, Warrawong, Unanderra and Port Kembla area.

I would disagree with Unanderra and to some extent Port Kembla, as with most areas there are good and bad within all areas so you need to be careful of exactly where in these suburbs you may look at as both suburbs have properties getting close to $1mil mark so not every one is from the lower end of town.

ulladulla and Batemans bay ..... holiday accom and reliant in seasonal tourism?

It can be a bit of the 'holiday' market but I work in Nowra and people happily commute to Nowra from the Ulladulla/Milton/Mollymook areas daily so it has some attraction to a wider employment area than just around those areas. Apparently its a lifestyle choice and for those that want the beach lifestyle and can't afford to live at Huskisson/Vincentia then this is the next best area according to some and to some even better.

Batemans Bay on the other hand is more "holiday' and local employment so not sure how it goes for a possible IP where continuous rental income and CG are key component for a successful investment.

I would disagree with Unanderra and to some extent Port Kembla, as with most areas there are good and bad within all areas so you need to be careful of exactly where in these suburbs you may look at as both suburbs have properties getting close to $1mil mark so not every one is from the lower end of town.

Yes, my opinion based on few years back 2005-2008 when I was living in Figtree suburbs. Maybe they've changed now.

Looking further south passed nowra, would ulladulla and Batemans bay be worthy of a look for ip or is That getting into more holiday accom and reliant in seasonal tourism?

Prices increasing very well in the Shoalhaven. Huskisson has already gone up quite a bit (40%?) High rental demand around Sanctuary Point. Ulladulla has increased. Even Bermagui was on a list of places that have increased.

Prices increasing very well in the Shoalhaven. Huskisson has already gone up quite a bit (40%?) High rental demand around Sanctuary Point. Ulladulla has increased. Even Bermagui was on a list of places that have increased.

What do you see as the driving force/forces behind the increases?

What do you see as the driving force/forces behind the increases?

Market was flat for a long time, dropped significantly in some areas. Some of it was a return to the previous peak around 2007.
Unemployment for the region was almost the highest in the country around 2012.
Some councils were also not forward thinking, some of them have changed.
Infrastructure - double lanes finally completed South of Nowra, the never ending Gerringong bends and flyover, Berry bypass underway - reduces the drive from Sydney, Braidwood/Terpentine Road being almost all sealed road now, cutting off around 20 minutes on the drive from Canberra instead of via Batemans Bay.
More Sydney people recently, very affordable compared to Sydney prices.
Also the ripple effect from Sydney may have had an effect more recently.

Market was flat for a long time, dropped significantly in some areas. Some of it was a return to the previous peak around 2007.
Unemployment for the region was almost the highest in the country around 2012.
Some councils were also not forward thinking, some of them have changed.
Infrastructure - double lanes finally completed South of Nowra, the never ending Gerringong bends and flyover, Berry bypass underway - reduces the drive from Sydney, Braidwood/Terpentine Road being almost all sealed road now, cutting off around 20 minutes on the drive from Canberra instead of via Batemans Bay.
More Sydney people recently, very affordable compared to Sydney prices.
Also the ripple effect from Sydney may have had an effect more recently.

The ex-Sydney siders would be retirees I suspect, so are not looking for employment opportunities. The upgrades to infrastructure, primarily roads no doubt has been positive for the area. Are young families moving to the area and if so, what industries are they finding employment in?

Stats from 2010- 2011 - major employers within the Shoalhaven include:

Department of Education 1,975 employees
Department of Health 2,862 employees
Department of Defence 1,200 employees
Shoalhaven City Council 900 employees
Serco Sodexho 450 employees
Woolworths supermarkets 360 employees
Australian Paper 300 employees
NASPO 300 employees
Ramsey Group 300 employees
The Manildra Group 220 employees
Tyco Flow Controls 150 employees
Hanlon Windows 100 employees

Stats from 2010- 2011 - major employers within the Shoalhaven include:

Department of Education 1,975 employees
Department of Health 2,862 employees
Department of Defence 1,200 employees
Shoalhaven City Council 900 employees
Serco Sodexho 450 employees
Woolworths supermarkets 360 employees
Australian Paper 300 employees
NASPO 300 employees
Ramsey Group 300 employees
The Manildra Group 220 employees
Tyco Flow Controls 150 employees
Hanlon Windows 100 employees

Thanks for those chilliblue. Do you feel these numbers would have increased considerably since then, and if so, why?

The ex-Sydney siders would be retirees I suspect, so are not looking for employment opportunities.

Investors and weekender buyers. When your house in Sydney is worth $1.4M and you go on holiday and see you can buy a lot of house for under $400k...
Reducing travel time also reduces vacancy rates for people with holiday homes.

Investors and weekender buyers. When your house in Sydney is worth $1.4M and you go on holiday and see you can buy a lot of house for under $400k...
Reducing travel time also reduces vacancy rates for people with holiday homes.

So am I to take it that the investors are purchasing holiday rentals as opposed to full time rentals? If so, I don't think the climate lends itself to well to this strategy. Nice over the Xmas holidays, but the remainder of the year......?

So am I to take it that the investors are purchasing holiday rentals as opposed to full time rentals? If so, I don't think the climate lends itself to well to this strategy. Nice over the Xmas holidays, but the remainder of the year......?

Lots of questions Harro. You can take whatever you like, I didn't say that. Lots of different areas doing different things with lots of different buyers, go and have a look ;)

Lots of questions Harro. You can take whatever you like, I didn't say that. Lots of different areas doing different things with lots of different buyers, go and have a look ;)

Certainly wasn't meaning to offend. Was just genuinely curious as to what properties were being purchased and for what reasons, as I reside on the North coast in a similar coastal environment.

Thanks for those chilliblue. Do you feel these numbers would have increased considerably since then, and if so, why?

Retail would now be the main driver of employment with tourism coming through.

The local agents are reporting increased demand by buyers coming from Wollongong and Sydney.

Certainly wasn't meaning to offend. Was just genuinely curious as to what properties were being purchased and for what reasons, as I reside on the North coast in a similar coastal environment.

Harro there are many variations as has been indicated. The main difference between where you are and the shoalhaven is the number of hours drive time to sydney.

The reason rents have historically stayed a little lower and there has been little growth for 10 yrs is that there is no heavy industry, not like the hunter for example. That is also now part of the charm. Vacancies are now very tight rents are rising.

The coast is actually stunning down here, surfing world class and pristine beaches you can have to yourself 10 months of the yr. As it is up north, when I sea changed out of Sydney 7 yrs ago, I looked north, but couldn't find anywhere I really liked until I got at least 5 hours out of Sydney. Here I am only 2 hours from family which makes day trips and weekends much easier for family functions.

I have built my family a 5 bed home within 1 km of the ocean for a relatively affordable price and in my estate I try and talk to all my new neighbours. Around 40% are retirees doing the final build project many are from Sydney but a surprising number are retired farmers and business owners from major inland regionals. That shocked me a bit but lots have spent a life on the land owning and working large properties and must have spent decades saying to themselves "one day we will retire to the coast" coz here they are.

40% would be young/middle aged families like mine who left Syd, Canberra, Melb looking for a great place to raise kids and enjoy the beach. The primary income earners in these families work in local, state and federal gov departments, or schools or hospitals.

The other 10 percent are local chippies doing spec build/live in/sell for profit and 10 percent rentals. That is just my observation and just my estate.

More broadly there is definitely a large wave of retirees wanting new homes and villas so that is keeping all the builders I know very busy. Industry as mentioned, but retail, tourism, and now housing construction all feature strongly.

Population forecasts are for continued population growth, which is its own driver given the extra need for housing and the jobs this creates.

People are commuting north to Sydney from further and further south. I just came home from inspecting a unit near the water (off market) in the Shellharbour area and the owner works in Sydney.

Nowra locals I know are saying once the road is fixed past berry they would consider commuting for work. Nowra has its own thriving service industry and a big hospital which pulls a lot of jobs.

People like me have lots of Sydney clients but work is mobile. I have mates who are architects, software and web designers and business owners etc doing freelance work all over the country or online type work and they go up to Syd 1 or 2 days a week to meet with teams or clients and work from home the rest of the time. Its a great lifestyle as you get to pick up your kids from school, take them to the beach, work around those kinds of things, and not waste hours of everyday in heavy traffic.

The key driver of price growth right now is the wave of Sydney money looking for a home. After 10 yrs of flat there are plenty of bargains and people are buying for relocation, weekending, pure investment, and investment with view to eventual retirement. Like I have quite a few FIFO (fly in fly out) mining worker clients. Some of them buy a house near the beach to invest for the next 10 yrs and say that when they get out of FIFO work they want to live somewhere they love.

The vast majority buy and rent long term. Holiday let is still a niche business and most don't have the time or energy. It only works on certain properties. It is a good way to increase a lousy 2-3% yeilding beachfront home in Mollymook worth 700-1mil up to a 5% yield if well managed. Occupancy is increasingly year round for those properties. But you can't buy a dump for 280k out the back of town not close to beach and expect anyone to holiday there. Most people I know who do this want to holiday in it and then let it occasionally and they get sub standard results for this reason. The ones winning are buying absolute premium locations and really setting the place up to meet the market. They are getting over 3k per week on a regular basis.

Back