I'm being silly re career/life move-I need some objective POV's (warning: long read!)

Kesse, I often refer to the following when in doubt over some decisions.

"Try each path closely and deliberately. Try it as many times as you think necessary. Then ask yourself, and yourself alone one question, Does this path have a heart? If it does, the path is good. If it doesn't it is of no use" Carlos Castenada

Hi Player, that's a good quote but a tricky one - both paths have a heart for me. I think it's a matter of which one has more heart or which one appeals to the heart more. I was just about to write 'do I follow the lifestyle heart or the career heart' but really, they will eventually merge and be one and the same in Cairns when I follow the self emp path, just not aligned to the same point in time.

Changes in life happen as they are meant to - don't stress or over analyse and go with your gut feeling.

Sounds like you're already in Cairns - just need your body to follow. I say, go for it. What's the worst that could happen?

Hubby was retrenched just under two years ago - we knew it was coming and didn't stress - what was the worst that could happen if he didn't get another job? We'd have to sell the ridge top ppor and move down to the flats for something half the price (being walking distance to the beach that's still pretty good) - I'd have to go back to work after 13 years out of the workforce (Comm bank had some inbound call centre shift job's paying pretty darn good at that time) - and life would still be good.

Instead - hubby walked into a new job 4 days after getting a payout from his old - we took a tree change - and life is still pretty darn good.

Different - and a path we wouldn't have otherwise chosen - but good.

Read the quote below ...

I am a true believer of things happening for a reason and when things don't work out with the benefit of hindsight you realise why and are then grateful for it. I just haven't reached that hindsight stage.

One of my daily fantasies is imagining my life in Cairns so yeah, I think I'm already there!

"What's the worst that can happen" is a game I like to play all the time. If I can live with the worse case scenario, then really, what's stopping me. So, what's the worse that can happen? We hate Cairns, I don't enjoy my job and my self emp option doesn't work out. No biggie in the scheme of things. We can rent our property out which is (currently) CF+ and can either go back to the job I have now - I'm fairly sure my boss would have me back or set up roots somewhere else. I can certainly live with that.

Please to hear things worked out for you and your husband. Sometimes when life throws bad things at you it all works out for the best at the end. Best case scenario for me would to be made redundant. That would be a half decent pay day that would facilitate the move to Cairns as well as tiding us over while I set up my self emp option. Ah well.

I love a good saying and a good cliche - another one of my 'things' is to have no regrets. I think there will be a little bit of regret or 'what if' with either path I take but it's a matter of chosing the path with the least amount of regret.

I have tattooed on me "Audentes Fortuna Juvat" which translates to fortune favours the bold - I have it as a reminder to push myself and step outside of my comfort zone because when I do life just seems to have a way of working itself out. I do need to listen to my gut and not my massively over thinking brain!

If you current employer is offering you a role at $20K to $30K above the going rate then I suspect that they've got something better lined up for you, or there will be the opportunity in the near future.

So the job situation might turn itself around faster than you think.

If you current employer is offering you a role at $20K to $30K above the going rate then I suspect that they've got something better lined up for you, or there will be the opportunity in the near future.

I was thinking similar. Company toying with the idea of expanding in Cairns?

What company gives away money unless there's something in it for them?

If they're prepared to do that they'd no doubt take her back on in Melbourne on the same pay in a similar position to the one she left as well, if things didn't turn out.

Why I said 'don't leave this company whatever you do'.

The other option is for Kesse to tell her boss she'll stay in Melbourne if she got a 25K to 40K wage rise :cool:.

Come to Cairns.

Personally, I hate the weather/heat up here, so just for that fact I think you're nuts leaving Melbourne, but hey - at least I'll have one more local SS member! :p

Come to Cairns.

Personally, I hate the weather/heat up here, so just for that fact I think you're nuts leaving Melbourne, but hey - at least I'll have one more local SS member! :p

I hear there's a job vacancy coming up in Melbourne ;-)

Possibly. I have a fair idea of what the career progression options are and it's much of a muchness compared to the one being offered.

I had a good talk to the hiring manager about other options that I might find more 'stimulating' but that's all based in Brisbane.

I was thinking similar. Company toying with the idea of expanding in Cairns?

What company gives away money unless there's something in it for them?

If they're prepared to do that they'd no doubt take her back on in Melbourne on the same pay in a similar position to the one she left as well, if things didn't turn out.

Why I said 'don't leave this company whatever you do'.

The other option is for Kesse to tell her boss she'll stay in Melbourne if she got a 25K to 40K wage rise :cool:.

No chance of them expanding into Cairns. They're already there and very established in what they have. There's not too much hope of them offering different things.

But... once I'm there and settled in I plan on putting a business case forward of having locally some of the positions that are based in Brisbane as it would be beneficial to others to have that 'go to person' locally and not an email/phone call/telecon away and have them (me) performing the job in Cairns. :D I think I will need a very strong business case though!

I'm fairly confident I would get my or a similar position back in Melb so that's a reassuring feeling. I am currently getting plenty of ego stroking with comments like "you'll leave such a gap in the team" and that kind of thing :p

Come to Cairns.

lol, I hate the weather in Melb and think and here that likes it is nuts! Especially on a day like today.

I hear there's a job vacancy coming up in Melbourne ;-)

Ha, yep! And one of the blokes in my team has just put in his resignation so there's a few spots coming up!

I thought I'd give an update regarding this saga...

My GM caught wiff of my wanting to move to Cairns and the fact that I had applied for another position. He said he didn't want to lose me as part of the team and asked what my thoughts are on moving up there, doing the job I'm doing now and flying down once a month for a week.

In short, I told him that would be awesome and was my ideal situation but didn't think it was feasible. Initially my direct manager wasn't totally sold on it but she confirmed today that after speaking to the GM they can make it work.

It's a total understatement to say that I'm absolutely stoked at the moment. I couldn't have hoped for a better outcome.

A fantastic outcome. Well done!

You will perhaps be able to claim some tax free travel allowance from the company? (If that's still doable).

A fantastic outcome. Well done!

You will perhaps be able to claim some tax free travel allowance from the company? (If that's still doable).

Thanks Geoff!

Not sure how the travel will work, whether it will be via a company card or I pay and they reimburse me.

I only found out late this arvo and couldn't talk too much more to my manager about it as I would have missed my train and they haven't figured out the finer details yet. She's going to be in NZ for the next week so hopefully in a week or so I'll know a bit more.

At least now I know it's happening and as far as when goes - will probably move up over Christmas as I have 2 weeks off work.

:D

Wow sounds like you are destined to move to Cairns. It's great that your company values you enough to want to keep you in the team and let you live in Cairns. Kudos to them.

What I was going to type was that (had this new offer not been made and solved your dilemma) that you need only do the less prestigious job for the short term and not look at it as being forever, and not define who you are by what you are doing at this point in your life.

Think of immigrants who are highly educated doctors, scientists or whatever and have to drive cabs until something better comes along because they can't use their education. Does anyone think badly of them because they are doing a lowly job? I sure don't. I really admire that they are prepared make sacrifices and do whatever it takes in the short term to be able to make a better life in the country they want to live in.

It sounds like you're highly valued, and well done on the outcome.

I'm curious to know if you will still pursue your other plan of building your own business, or will this outcome mean you will stay with the company?

Kesse,
Great outcome..congrats :)

Thanks!

Wow sounds like you are destined to move to Cairns. It's great that your company values you enough to want to keep you in the team and let you live in Cairns. Kudos to them.

What I was going to type was that (had this new offer not been made and solved your dilemma) that you need only do the less prestigious job for the short term and not look at it as being forever, and not define who you are by what you are doing at this point in your life.

Think of immigrants who are highly educated doctors, scientists or whatever and have to drive cabs until something better comes along because they can't use their education. Does anyone think badly of them because they are doing a lowly job? I sure don't. I really admire that they are prepared make sacrifices and do whatever it takes in the short term to be able to make a better life in the country they want to live in.

Well, now that you put it that way.... Very valid point though which has made me realise how arrogant I'm being.

Kesse - that's perfect - your dream job in your dream location. Couldn't work out any better - well done.:)

Cheers!

It sounds like you're highly valued, and well done on the outcome.

I'm curious to know if you will still pursue your other plan of building your own business, or will this outcome mean you will stay with the company?

I'm definitely feeling the love at work.

I still will, just not as soon as I had planned. Now that I will be working remotely for the majority of the time there will only be so far I can go career wise. The next proper step up is a 'Head Of' role which also involves people leadership which I wouldn't be able to do from Cairns. My work don't like people staying in a position for more than 1-2 years for various reasons so I'll play it by ear and see what happens.

Come to Cairns. We'll have a coffee and make fun of the rich people together.

My next promotion gets a pay drop. Go figure. I'm happy to sit and eat with the common people. I think you've worked it out. Being happy is very important.

Come to Cairns. We'll have a coffee and make fun of the rich people together.

My next promotion gets a pay drop. Go figure. I'm happy to sit and eat with the common people. I think you've worked it out. Being happy is very important.

Sounds like a plan! Nothing like passing judgements over a nice cup of coffee!

That's odd, and crap. As long as you're happy doing what you're doing, that's the main thing.

Hi Kesse

Sounds like a perfect outcome. Well done for putting yourself out there and taking a bit of a risk. I doubt you will regret it. I grew up in Cairns, but have lived in Brisbane, London and Melbourne for many years. IMHO, you can't put a price on lifestyle. Get yourself ready for some fresh air, a stunning environment, a good dose of warm weather, and a relaxed attitude. If you want to feel semi-retired, you are well on the way.

Welcome to North Queensland!

Cheers

Jen

Back