I'm looking for a NZ accountant & solicitor

I am planning to move from Perth to the Christchurch area (Canterbury) in a couple of years but want to buy a place now and possibly rent it until then.

Can anyone recommend an accountant either in Perth or Christchurch who understands the Aus/NZ investment tax issues?

And then I am looking for a solicitor based there to assist with the purchase.

...and then a local engineer who can report on the particular house I will be looking at?

Thanks

Hey Ed,

Cant help much with your specific questions but lived my whole life in Christchurch. Been away 2 years now. If your want any other opinions or questions I may be able to help.

Just personally I wouldn?t buy there any-time soon. I personally believe its well overdue for a long plateau on prices or even a correction. If you have other reasons though then go ahead. Should be a nice city eventually but not for me. Still such a mess there. :(

Good luck,
Cheers

Thanks I may do that. I did wonder if the completion of most house repairs would trigger a sell off but I am more interested in finding the right place to live rather than timing the market too carefully. I am looking more at lifestyle blocks which probably have a slightly different market.

Houses being repaired wont cause a sell off that is noticeable because of the staggered nature of the repair program. When the trades leave and there is a more balanced stock levels this will tip supply/demand and prices will settle for extended period.

Also of concern to me is the dollar at record levels. Needs to be considered. Bound to return to normal levels at some stage. :eek:

The lifestyle blocks are great. About the only thing I could live in there.

I use GRA accountants based in Auk but do all the usual by skype/email. They handle my Aus ips too. I use Christine Darling, Solicitor based at Duncan Cotterill, ChCh. Hope that helps. Agree with above that ChCh may be due for a correction but sounds like you're looking for a ppor.

Back