I'm so angry! Where should I be directing my energy?

No to the bin, if the existing bin satisfies legal obligations. Though you might be wishing you had the bigger bin when you do a post-tenant clean out... !

Fix the doors, try and make your builder pay for it.

Tenant pays for half the blinds, you get to depreciate ALL of it? Not bad.

To be honest they aren't the most unreasonable demands. The question "will the next two tenants complain about this too?" isn't a bad yardstick to use.

Although I agree with this comment...
...if this incident makes you this mad then i think you need to question your suitability to property investment.

I think you've also answered your own question as to where you should be directing your energy...
Why am I paying my real estate agent to bother me with this sort of ********? Isn't that what I pay them for, so I don't get bothered with this sort of stuff?
If you're not happy with what you're getting, address the issue and if things don't change, change PM...(Or you can always self manage and have the tenants contacting you directly ;) )

"Anger ruins joy. Steals the goodness of my mind. Forces my mouth to say terrible things. Overcoming anger brings peace of mind. Leads to a mind without regrets. If I overcome anger, I will be delightful and loved by everyone."

Charlie Crews (Life)

Personally, I would have said no to the A/C since it already has one in the lounge room, and put in a ceiling fan, but I would have said yes to the rest.

Perhaps given your situation you should explain that to the PM so you don't sound harsh to them. Tell them you can do the blinds, but you can't afford to until x date.

The door handles you should get the PM to check they are indeed faulty, if they are, get them fixed. I can give an example - my last house I rented, only 2 of the 10 or so windows would stay open, I pointed this out before I moved in and multiple times while I was there, they would not fix them, they just wanted us to use the sticks they provided to keep them open. I didn;t really mind - but one day a stick fell out and broke the window...they didn't even suggest I pay, which was good, cause I wouldn't have.

Point is, the doors may work with force...but do you want to fit the bill when they start slamming them to close them, and kicking with their foot/knee/shoulder to open them? Especially if it's a new house under warranty?

The other thing is if you now have the tennants on side with the A/C - you are generous and fair...but you won't fix doors that won't close...their goes your reputation with the tennants. It's a shame they didn't put these requests in prior to the A/C, cause you could have had them on side anyways, and not spent$3000 on an A/C.

Just my opinion from a tenant point of view.

Hello! I've already spent 2800 on a ****ing air con plus another 200+ on a tv point in the master bedroom... Where is it going to end? My property is cashflow negative and I've just moved into a 2 bedroom apartment that's 500/wk and I'm sleeping on the godamn floor cause I don't have any money after footing the bill for an air con... No sympathy from me, i don't have air con in the place I'm renting!

Boo hoo !!!

No sympathy you say?

There is only one person to "blame" for the situation you are in. have a quick look in the mirror. :D

Cheers

Mick

Yeah, fair enough it may add value to the IP, but I'm not interested in channeling any money into it unless I have to... I can earn 20-30%+ elsewhere which is tax free.

I would fix the handles, that sounds fair enough..And as many have said, just because they're new doesn't mean they can't break, you should be contacting the builder to have these fixed.

As for the rest i'd be saying "suck it up princess!"

You don't even have a/c, now they have two! And boo, they want tv in their bedroom, neither are neccessities (spelling?), i wouldn't have agreed to either, it's not effecting their health or wellness of living, they knew that they had no a/c or tv point on signing the lease.

Hello! I've already spent 2800 on a ****ing air con plus another 200+ on a tv point in the master bedroom... Where is it going to end? My property is cashflow negative and I've just moved into a 2 bedroom apartment that's 500/wk and I'm sleeping on the godamn floor cause I don't have any money after footing the bill for an air con... No sympathy from me, i don't have air con in the place I'm renting!

500k a week for something with no a/c, and can't afford any furniture..?

hm..:confused:

Now when the real estate advised me on the A/C, they said it would cost around $2k which I took to be the high end... however, months later when I got the quote, it came at $2800! I didn't kick up a fuss or anything as I wanted to honour my word to the tennant and reluctantly went ahead with putting it in.

Anyway, do I have any legal obligation for these doors? They were brand new when they moved in! They were working when they moved in... someone told me it's up to the tennant and since they were working when they moved in, they have to pay to get them fixed when they move out, or it comes out of their bond money. Is this true, or not? What is the go with this situation?

Why am I paying my real estate agent to bother me with this sort of ********? Isn't that what I pay them for, so I don't get bothered with this sort of stuff?

Well in one sense you should have managed the installation of the aircon (ie bought it yourself, hired your own man to install it etc).

Anyway I thought the requests sounded pretty reasonable, especially the one about the door + bin.

I called the builder, they said if the real estate put in a
maintenance request form they'll go and have a look... Then I called the real estate, they told me they've already done that - what morons!! They manage a
number of properties from the same building company, even in the same street - they should
know better!

It should have all been done without
me being told about it, let alone asked to pay!
I will be getting a new real estate agent asap. I fully admit to knowing
nothing about managing a property and what I have to do, don't, etc. But, I figured I paid them for their knowledge in this area!

What a waste of time! Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Bon
PI is never a set and forget investment. I learnt that the hard way years ago. Just a little story so you can benefit from my mistake:

I had a rental that I scrapped and scrimped to get in about 1991/1992, had the block and built a new house on it. At the time I was in the military living on base in a 3m x 3m room no aircon, noisy, hot and sharing a bathroom with 20 other people and eating whatever they served in the mess - cause it was cheap and I wanted to get ahead and pay for this IP. I was about 1.5 hours away from the IP.

I just set and forgot, didnt want to know about inspections etc, just let the PM deal with it.

A few tenants came and went, had one who requested to put doors on a study(double doors, study was built without doors) at their own expense and said they would leave the doors when they vacated. They took the doors and did a woefull patch up job that I wasnt aware of till I sold the place as I didnt bother to inspect it at all.

Had good tenants once who were willing to put up a small retaining wall with drainage in the back yard if I paid for the materials. I refused, stupidly as the place did have a bit of a drainage problem, so they left. This decision came back to haunt me later.

After them, I had tenants who had 2 vicious dogs (so I heard later), pets wernt allowed on the lease, who threatened all and sundry of the neighbours and when we had a bit of a torrent of rain, water went through the house at about 10cm, tenant threatened to sue me and make me pay for his accommodation at a motel.Luckily I didnt have to pay for a motel but I had to pay for their cleaning of their clothes, furniture, furniture removal and storage for 2 weeks and didnt really have any comeback on the bond and the place was not being kept very well at all.

I decided to sell as I was a bit over it, heartbroken, and when I went to have a look, noticed that one of the tenants (didn't know which one as I hadn't been interested in checking as each vacated) had left a big burn mark in the kitchen benches, the lino was torn, vertical blinds were missing and torn, fly screens torn and missing, the previous mentioned doorway was not patched up well (home job), backyard had numerous pot holes where dogs were digging, the back fence was trashed and so many other things I could go on and on. At the time it was my only IP and I didnt buy another for 8 years.

I sold it in about july 2000 for not much more than it cost me to start with with all the driveway, blinds and other sundry costs involved in building. Within 2 or 3 years of me selling, it would have almost doubled in value.

I would personally be at least 200k richer if I had taken more interest in my own investment instead of leaving it all to the PM and not being a stingy so and so when I did have good tenants.

I now have 3 IP's and take a far greater intrest in them. I inspect the day after every tenant vacates as PMs can and do miss things, I try to attend to maintenance issues ASAP and look after good tenants. It doesn't mean you have to bow to every request, just consider reasonable ones.

If you have put in a aircon (which by the way I paid $2600 for one with installation 12 months ago), I would be putting up the rent when you can to compensate for the extra ammenity.

Dont do what I did when I first had an IP, take an interest after all it is your money and financial reputation at stake and you will come out ahead after a few years and then the things you are doing without will seem worth it.

I really regret my disinterest in my first IP now. I was only about 25 when I first had it and seemed to be off to a great financial future but I blew it. I probably wouldn't be working right now if I had just taken more interest in that property.

Just food for thought.

I called the builder, they said if the real estate put in a
maintenance request form they'll go and have a look... Then I called the real estate, they told me they've already done that - what morons!! They manage a
number of properties from the same building company, even in the same street - they should
know better!

It should have all been done without
me being told about it, let alone asked to pay!
I will be getting a new real estate agent asap. I fully admit to knowing
nothing about managing a property and what I have to do, don't, etc. But, I figured I paid them for their knowledge in this area!

What a waste of time! Thanks everyone for the replies!!

Hang on. You have just called the builder who has said that they will look at it if a request is made. Then you called your property manager who has said that this has already been done. Wouldn't you think that is quite proactive??:confused:

You fully admit to knowing nothing about managing a property and what you have to do and not have to do. Yet, you are prepared to take that knowledge and attempt to find another property manager who will do what they are supposed to do....but your not quite sure what that is??

Good luck with that.

Rooster

As for the tennants wanting this and that, too bad! They can find another place if they don't like it.

I'd be very careful with this attitude when it comes to maintenance issues and the duty of care that is required on your part.

Rooster

Rooster, yes... Did you read the email I got on the first page of this thread asking me to pay for a tradesman? I never should have gotten that, as a maintenance request form should have been put in to the builder without sending me an email asking to pay - do you get that? I wasted my time and called the builder, then called the rea estate to have them tell me they've already done that - WTF!

Thanks bespeak! Food for thought, I guess.

Back