That's worse than sitting next to someone doing FA :eek:.

You should have joined in, but with a conflicting tune till he got the message.

This is why i think it's necessary to rotate people in these types of departments - gives everyone a bit of respite from each other.

eg. one month someone is whistling 'pop goes the weezel, the next you have a person itching their eczema all day (and have their dead skin cells flying around the office), the month after you have a someone who takes humblebrag to a new level, or talks non stop, or farts, or does FA whiles surfing net all day.

Kim, it could be a lot worse. Are you due for leave, or have you just gone back :).

lol :D

////

I choose to work 60 hours per week in the private sector instead of the standard 38 hours per week so I can do my bit in supporting the lazy government paid workers. The best bit is at the end of my long hard worked week I get that really warm and fuzzy feeling inside that I have done my bit for charity. Without the government paid workforce how else would I get that feeling I like so much.

Its quite possible that you are not aware of actions being taken behind the scenes against this staff worker.
I know in our workplace, everyone was very aware of one particular person who surfed the web all day and had about 1/2 the output of their coworkers.
The managers were very aware of it, but it was difficult to retrench/ sack them. But it was discussed over several years, and eventually, this person was made redundant. They were over the moon... and so was everyone else in the office!
But it annoys me that they get a pay out, when in actual fact they should have received warnings and been asked to leave. But alot of managers arent prepared to go down that road. I'm very ruthless though...

Its quite possible that you are not aware of actions being taken behind the scenes against this staff worker.
I know in our workplace, everyone was very aware of one particular person who surfed the web all day and had about 1/2 the output of their coworkers.
The managers were very aware of it, but it was difficult to retrench/ sack them. But it was discussed over several years, and eventually, this person was made redundant. They were over the moon... and so was everyone else in the office!
But it annoys me that they get a pay out, when in actual fact they should have received warnings and been asked to leave. But alot of managers arent prepared to go down that road. I'm very ruthless though...

Unfortunately even with warnings and following procedures, potential law suits are a royal pain. Seen settlements over $100k to stop unlawful dismissal cases, even when the individual was the laziest, deserved-to-get-fired, lying, cheating wads in the workplace. The court processes can drag out costing the company enough money that managers tend to sit on their hands, than have to deal with problems which would affect their careers..

Unfortunately not everyone is efficient. Some people care, some don't. That's life.
I'm a teacher and even 5 years olds vary greatly in the amount of effort they put in. Some try their damned hardest with everything they do. Others have a "that's do" attitude. You can't make people want to care.

I just read an interesting article on Gen Y and the over the top praise for just turning up they grew up with. Interesting reading how bosses can't understand why they need to be praised every minute for just doing their job. And how they have a high incidence of depression because everyone isn't telling them how wonderful they are all day.

He's not a Gen Y is he? maybe you need to yell out "great job" every time he actually does something.:D

I dont think its only Gen X'ers who work like this. I have a colleague who is close to retirement age, and does very little work. and the person I mentioned in my previous post was over 50.....

I dont think its only Gen X'ers who work like this. I have a colleague who is close to retirement age, and does very little work. and the person I mentioned in my previous post was over 50.....

Based on what I've experienced, I wouldn't blame any particular generation either.

Often older ones are the worst, because they know how to play the game of doing little and getting away with it so much better (less blatant about it, but bludgers nevertheless).

Based on what I've experienced, I wouldn't blame any particular generation either.

Often older ones are the worst, because they know how to play the game of doing little and getting away with it so much better (less blatant about it, but bludgers nevertheless).

Spot on, every single person I've worked with that is super old (35+) is incompetent and slow at their job.

Spot on, every single person I've worked with that is super old (35+) is incompetent and slow at their job.

wow, scary that 35+ is super old!!

sorry that you've had such bad experiences. You obviously havent worked with me! :cool: I am neither incompetent nor slow at my job.

There is no cognitive or physical deterioration in people 35+ unless you're talking near retirement. Many can run circles around the young and naive :p.

What I meant was they DON'T appear slow, because they're more switch on when it comes to fooling others into thinking they work.

I've come across some over the years that do nothing, yet didn't see it myself till sometime later (self promoters).

This is one of those skill learned over TIME ;).

There is no cognitive or physical deterioration in people 35+ unless you're talking near retirement. Many can run circles around the young and naive :p.

What I meant was they DON'T appear slow, because they're more switch on when it comes to fooling others into thinking they work.

I've come across some over the years that do nothing, yet didn't see it myself till sometime later (self promoters).

This is one of those skill learned over TIME ;).

Ahh.. my sarcastic/ignorant/stereotyping post was actually directed at "travelbug"'s sarcastic/ignorant/stereotyping post.

Ahh.. my sarcastic/ignorant/stereotyping post was actually directed at "travelbug"'s sarcastic/ignorant/stereotyping post.

Ok, missed the sarcasm there.

I suppose if this generation were the stand out lazy ones, then lazy would be a new phenomena... and that, it is NOT.

Ok, missed the sarcasm there.

I suppose if this generation were the stand out lazy ones, then lazy would be a new phenomena... and that, it is NOT.

Who get's to decide what lazy is?

I'll just put this here...

gallery_1_1_11337.jpg

No - the problem is that people in that age (particularly 30-something) are middle managers so they do nothing because they are not senior enough to make a decision, and are not junior enough to do the grunt work. It's not incompetence per se but due to the nature of their job a lot of them don't progress in their career since they can't bring in new business or pitch etc. I imagine this leads to laziness or a lack of care that affects their work.

I used to work in a gov department.

The role I had was shared between two groups. Younger go-getters who worked hard to progress. All under 30. And those 45+ who just time served.

Back