This guy at work spends all day surfing the net and stuffs about. Doesnt do his work!

As per usual it usually takes me around 1 - 2 hours depending on how much work I'm given in the morning. I had heaps today and it took me 1 hour 45 minutes. This guy who only has half the amount I was given and who started at the same time (9.45) as me is still going. He still has another 8 to do and he'll probably wont even finish it till 2.30 again after we complete another afternoon task. He spends the whole day doing it cos he stuffs about. We are supposed to get them done way before we go to lunch at 12.

Anyway the reason he keeps his job is because his dad is one of the managers (the 2nd manager in charge) and I guess they feel they cant sack him because of who his dad is! :mad: I wish my supervisor though would grow some balls and bring him into line. arrggh. He lets him get away with murder. If anyone else on the team pulled his antics would be in deep trouble. The girl that is here on a contract would not get her contract renewed. She agreed with me.

Anyway I just needed to vent! Gov.t dept. should not be allowed to employ relatives. They should have learnt their lesson from this guy. They decided to employ another close relative of someone else here and she is a nasty piece of work

haha :D
The following errors occurred with your submission:
You cannot use a tag that contains censored words.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyway I go ok for a while and try to not let it get to me but after a while I get so mad and frustrated it **** me off so much.

I have to keep reminding myself that things will work out for the best in the long run and that its out of my control.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm feeling exactly the same way as you at the moment. People getting paid double what I make per hour, and I do (not exaggerating, I actually compared today) double the work.

Hit up the boss this afternoon asking how long this current employee is going to be working with us and tell him how slow he actually is and the boss just laughs. So I say "so what-ever you pay him you can pay me double from now on, yeah?", He thought I was joking..

I'm finding it seriously frustrating and struggling to cope with the incompetence.

Any thoughts on what I should do? I've got a holiday booked in one month so that should help a little.

Boss's realise how little work people do.

They also realise that the biggest danger to workplace morale is people constantly wandering around complaining about who does what and how much better you are than someone else.

P.S. People have commented on here about me, but I don't work full time, and I also own the business. When I don't work I post. When I work I very infrequently post. I also don't work 9-5 hours.

In a Govt dept it doesnt matter who your mother/father etc is (and if it does, then there is a breach of code of conduct going on).

If this person is underperforming it all comes down to their direct supervisor. There are plenty of things they could do to improve their subordinates performance.

I suggest you make sure your work is separate to his and that your supervisor knows how much you are doing.

The supervisor can have a formal agreement stating the minimum amount of work (outputs/cases etc) that must be completed on a daily basis - if they dont meet that consistently it can be a trigger for formal counselling.

Gov.t dept. should not be allowed to employ relatives. They should have learnt their lesson from this guy. They decided to employ another close relative of someone else here and she is a total b**** and nasty piece of work

Being a Govt dept. no doubt those responsible for employing these incompetent 'family members' would claim that they got the job 'based on merit' :rolleyes: I've lost count of how many wives/partners/other family etc of those in upper management positions of the Govt dept my hubby works in (or the one I used to work in) have obtained much sought-after positions or given promotions they didn't deserve.

But I suppose choosing to employ who they want is the boss' decision - and this would be fine and more respected if they stopped with the whole 'they got the position based on merit' crap. It's insulting to have the boss say that some dunce with a bad attitude and no work ethic (ie. living up to the popular 'lazy govt worker' stereotype) has more merit than those who really are more productive and better workers.

And the public wonder why govt depts are often so slow and incompetent... See above.

Everybody has a different take on how to approach work. Remember, it's only a job, not to mention one paid by taxpayers.

Agree, and this guy has worked that out.

Sounds like he'll rise up the PS 'pen pusher' ranks faster than you can say bludger too :D.

Personally I'd just do my job and ignore him... and have a wine or two on those days that I can't :p.

I've lost count of how many wives/partners/other family etc of those in upper management positions of the Govt dept my hubby works in (or the one I used to work in) have obtained much sought-after positions or given promotions they didn't deserve.

I've worked in a govt dept for more than 10 years and can honestly say I've never seen relatives permanently promoted on the basis of that relationship. I've seen people try unsuccessfully to manipulate the process and I've seen relatives given short term contracts that aren't necessarily merit based, but not permanent jobs.

I supervise staff and have been on numerous selection panels and have never felt inappropriately influenced by someone higher up.

Perhaps there is more integrity in my department :confused:

I used to sit next to a guy who whistled "pop goes the weezel" through his teeth all day :(

That's worse than sitting next to someone doing FA :eek:.

You should have joined in, but with a conflicting tune till he got the message.

This is why i think it's necessary to rotate people in these types of departments - gives everyone a bit of respite from each other.

eg. one month someone is whistling 'pop goes the weezel, the next you have a person itching their eczema all day (and have their dead skin cells flying around the office), the month after you have a someone who takes humblebrag to a new level, or talks non stop, or farts, or does FA whiles surfing net all day.

Kim, it could be a lot worse. Are you due for leave, or have you just gone back :).

Meh,Don't worry,you have a job in the gov that people would want.
Do your job,F__k the politics and focus on what matters to yourself...

I know a lot of people who sit at work surfing somersoft... hmm...

Touche.

Anyway, Alex, aren't you the one who got a 15k payrise for pressing an extra button on the fax machine?

And you're expecting the public service to be, what, efficient?

Back