Impact of abolition of LAFHA for expats in Australia

I haven’t read anything on here about the proposed abolition of LAFHA for foreigners and the impact it will have on the rental market? The govt is planning on abolishing LAFHA for non-Australian residents from 1 July this year. (And tightening it for Aussies as well)

LAFHA for non-Aussies is a huge issue for thousands of medium-high salary workers in the capital cities, but particularly Sydney and Melbourne.

To put it in perspective, a pom working in Sydney for an investment bank, law firm or accounting firm, earning say $200k and paying $2,000 a week in rent actually only pays rent of about $1,150 pw, given the LAFHA payment. Suddenly, from 1 July their rent will almost double.

I know $2k pw rent on a $200k salary seems unlikely, but LAFHA makes it possible for a lot of professionals, given that the govt effectively pays for almost half of their rent. So once LAFHA is taken away from them, they’re likely to either leave Australia or move to cheaper digs.

Unfortunately nobody knows how many tenants receive LAFHA, so there’s no way of knowing the size of the impact, but I personally know of several expats who are planning on downsizing from their current houses and apartments, so I can only imagine there’ll be thousands across Australia who’ll be looking to downsize from 1 July, as their leases expire.

So terrible news for the high end rental market but good for demand in the $400-$800 pw range?

Cheers
Jonathon

JOnathan

Agree this could be interesting for high end apartments particularly in Sydney. I have a number of expat clients who are receiving LAFHA and paying between $1,500 and $2,000 per week in rent. As you say this is FBT and tax free provided it meets the tests.

It will be interesting to see what impact this does have upon the high end rental market. It could make the mid end market more pricy with higher end rentals going down lowering the spread between the two.

I think there might be a lot of surprised landlords and REAs in the coming months when they struggle to re-let their properties at the high prices they were charging before.

Whether this is enough to cause mortgage distress is uncertain, but it'll definitely hurt some landlords...

Back