Importing building stuff from overseas?

Hi somersoft sages,

Has anyone imported stuff from overseas to deck out their developments? I'm thinking tiles, cabinets, stoves, ovens, appliances, lights, fittings... the whole shebang.

I know a lot of builders source materials from overseas, and put an enormous markup on it. I wonder if it's worthwhile to do it yourself, from places like HK, China, etc, after all costs like freight, import duties, storage, gst, etc.

Hi Mrb
Funny you mention this, I am meeting up with an agent in 2 weeks who is also a developer and that is exactly what he does and that is why I am meeting up with him to find out whether it works. I don't think he imports the lot, but certainly some things to add the X factor which keeps the costs down.

When I find out more will post.

Cheers
MTR:)

I've heard of people importing a container load of appliances to beat the price fixing of some of the big brands here like Miele. If you are doing a whole house or 3 then it can make financial sense.

I'm not sure I'd do cabinets/tiles as it would be hard to ascertain quality and workmanship.

Just ensure that anything that has to meet Australian Standards can and does and that you're not buying some lethal chemically laden product

Hi Mrb
Funny you mention this, I am meeting up with an agent in 2 weeks who is also a developer and that is exactly what he does and that is why I am meeting up with him to find out whether it works. I don't think he imports the lot, but certainly some things to add the X factor which keeps the costs down.

Cheers

Let us know how your discussion goes MTR. I have spoken to a few builders who are importing stuff from overseas, and keeping the increased profit margin for themselves.

I've heard of people importing a container load of appliances to beat the price fixing of some of the big brands here like Miele. If you are doing a whole house or 3 then it can make financial sense.

I'm not sure I'd do cabinets/tiles as it would be hard to ascertain quality and workmanship.

Just ensure that anything that has to meet Australian Standards can and does and that you're not buying some lethal chemically laden product

I agree. Quality and consistency of quality would be the main concern.

I have a friend who decked out a house with furnishings from HK. He indicated the savings were huge. He also took the route of better quality, but at the same or lesser price point of what he could get here.

I've got quite a few developments in the pipeline, so perhaps economies of scale could make it more and more feasible.

Guys, due to my profession, I would comment the below

Import process is simple, just follow the procedure, not hard at all
Whether you are importing building materials, cars, commodities, anything.
Basic principles are very similar, with some complications in some cases, but if you know what you are doing, it's all relatively simple.

The challenge is finding the right source, which again, makes all the difference in what you are trying to achieve here, saving costs.
Now, you really got to know what you are doing before going down this path.

You may think that you can save on some costs based on unit price, but the headaches down the track can cost you more than the savings that you've made.

On the other hand, don't be persuaded to the fact that all "Made in China" is crap. This is not true at all!
Did you know genuine LV hand bags are made in china, and assembled in Italy, and hence LV brand them as "Made in italy"
PS: I know the supply, :D

The key here is to know where and what you seek.

Hi Mrb

Cheers

Hi MTR, did you end up having the discussion with the agent/builder?

Hi Mrb

Cheers

MTR- Im considering making an import this year for 4 villas of my own. Ive been talking to someone that id send over and source/ control on my behalf. It would be nice to talk to some more professionals in this field however. Would you consider sharing this contact? Would he/she be interested?

Thaaanks

As others said...importing is easy..just follow the procedures..

I wouldn't want to go in to importing stuff for small to med development site.. Hard to deal with issue of quality.defects. storage and all for small quantity.

If you are in Syd..head to Sefton,silver water.. You will find plenty importers and wholesaler..if you pay cash (I.e payment at pos) you will be surprised to see the discount.

If you are in Mel..hit Sydney Rd.

Not sure abt other states as yet.

Back