Importing

Has anyone tried importing from overseas to sell here for a profit?
If you did how did you go, is it worth it?
What did you sell?

What did you sell?

Make sure what you bring in is approved by an Australian Certifier, not like that electrical cable debacle.

Both Skater and Mojos do so successfully ... and there was someone else who imported fitness equipment whose name escapes me ...

I have imported alumina tiles, silicone carbide and a range of wear plate materials from China and basalt tiles and pipe lining from Cheq Republic. Ive also had items fabricated in China and Malaysia and sent here.

Its a lot of work and coordination, but worth it.

I once had this pipe dream to import the smallest thing I could think of so there were literally millions of items that could fit in a shipping container (that I could sell to the mines of course at 1000% mark-up - then it hit me - Grease Nipples. Buy for 1c, sell for $1! Haven't got around to it yet! :rolleyes:

pinkboy

What did you sell?

I've done more exporting out of Australia than the other way around but have imported everything from cooking oils, sugar, custard powder, instant noodles etc but that business only does the cooking oils atm. The model is based entirely on buying and selling whole container loads due to wanting to run lean so it's a high volume low margin business. It can work but relies on having the right suppliers and arrangements.

I also import coconut water atm as agents for an Asian brand throigh another business with a friend but that involves wider local distribution so is more work.

A friend of mine has a pretty large business importing speakers and portable charges into australia, started out of parents garage but is now in hundreds of stores australia wide so if you do it right the potential rewards are significant.

Key focus areas should be obviously the right product, pricing fixed for a period, supplier being reliable and running your business very lean

What are you looking to do?

Thanks for your feed back guys. I was looking at building materials as I am in the building trade. I was thinking to my self what does every house need

Toilets
Faucets
Baths
Shower heads.

I was thinking maybe start with one of those items and see where it goes. I will start with the cheapest item, probably taps or shower heads.

I know there is a lot of places selling these items cheap but I thought why not have a go.

All items will be to Australian standards of course.

Can anyone see a problem with importing these.

Yes I import Flyscreen material (among other things) and do quite well :)

I started to supply my husbands business (and colleagues) and then branched out to eBay and my own website.

If you have customers ready to go, then why not give it a go? Find yourself a fregiht forwarder/customs agent and just start:)

What do you mean by freight forwarder and customs agent?
If I sold at the bunnings and masters prices I would probably make a good profit. Their bathroom pc items are expensive compared to ebay, gumtree etc

You need a freight forwarder/customs agent to bring the goods into the country.

I order from the factory in China, then my agent takes care of everything else. My agent also puts in a deferred GST "thing" so I don't pay GST on the incoming goods. (don't know quite how to explain that...the ATO places the DGST in box 7a of the BAS and it gets balanced out at 1a)

To give you an idea, a full container of stock costs me roughly $2000-$2500 in freight and customs fees.

Moyjos, also your method (FOB terms) is the way to go. Leaving freight arrangements in the hands of the supplier (CFR terms) will ensure you get stitched up on destination charges as supplier gets a rebate, that's the game ;) Also you don't want shipments through a different mob of plonkers each time that you have no relationship with.

Moyjos, also your method (FOB terms) is the way to go. Leaving freight arrangements in the hands of the supplier (CFR terms) will ensure you get stitched up on destination charges as supplier gets a rebate, that's the game ;)

Oh god yes ! Definately FOB. (free on board ) for those playing at home. This means you don't pay freight internally overseas. Altough I have often played the game of getting two quotes (with different email addresses) one CFR and one FOB. Sometimes the supplier will just load the price for the FOB price. (after all nothing is free) then you just negotiate the price down.

I have to disagree with the 2 of you, there are no hard and fast rules re that imo. We buy some cfr and some fob, there are times where cfr makes more sense and is cheaper, especially if the supplier is a large player that gets excellent rates.

What are you guys who import finding with regards to putting your price up as the dollar falls? Im itching to jack my prices up but finding competitors still haven't so if i move it may hurt our business in the short term.

Back