Income property

Hello there.-

I have a garage which is 42m2 which I am not using because my driveway have capacity to park up to 6 cars, my property is surrounded buy fences and the front fence have a wall fence with two automated gates.

Because of my economical situation, I have had an idea and I put it into my drawings to build a 2 bedroom unit on top of my garage and convert my garage into another 2 bedroom unit with all the facilities required, my intention is to use as an income property, do you think that I will have any problems to do so, my house is a two level building and the garage is on the first level separated from the house, located is in Eight Mile Plains QLD 4113 and has a 800m2 of area.

There is anyone who knows about all this mumble jumbo and have this done smoothly without breaking any law?:(

Well....

Issue number 1 - It seems like you are building two units (one above and one in your garage). That is three occupancies which is pretty much illegal across most councils.

If you rent them out to separate parties and one causes a fire insurance will be void.

What you can do is for example, if both units should rent for $300 each, you can set the rent at $500 for both units and allow the tenant to sub let.

Issue number 2 - Without seeing your property it seems like your tenants will need to walk down a long driveway and maybe squeeze through your cars to get to their unit. Are they walking past living rooms? the kids bedroom? be careful about destroying the amenity of your property. it would be best if they have separate entrances.

Issue number 3 - Will council even let you build on top of the garage? It will be classed as a granny flat and will be subject to such laws.

If you still want to go ahead, I would put plans in for a 'office' space above the garage, while you do that you build all the piping and electrical for a conversion to an apartment after. Get approval for the office and then covert after without telling council. 99% of the time you will get away with it, but it depends on your neighbors dobbing you in. As well as if the tenant is property smart and realise its not approved they can hold you to ransom and then you are screwed.

Back