Increase asking rent if multiple interest

If you have multiple prospective tenants interested in renting your property, are you able to up the asking price to see who's willing to pay the most, or do you have to rent it as advertised?

Also, one of them wants a fence. Am I able to say something like "Pay an extra $10 a week and I'll install one?"

I'm in Vic.

Thanks!

I don't know about Victoria, but in NSW I am pretty sure it is illegal to have "rent auctions" which is what you are describing.

Also, one of them wants a fence. Am I able to say something like "Pay an extra $10 a week and I'll install one?"

As per the previous poster, rent auctions are frowned upon: http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2003/09/27/1064083244350.html?from=storyrhs

I think the case you're talking about above is a little different though. If the tenant is seeking improvements to the property and is willing to compensate you accordingly, I'm not sure there would be any negative recourse. Certainly I've done this with existing tenants wanting flyscreens installed; pay an extra $10/w and you get it. Seems the same sort of deal and is legit, at least in intentions.

Back