indian hatred thread ... again

how so? you divide people by origin. if you ask me, it makes just as much sense as dividing them by race.

Well, now you're going to get me going about how I think having states, in our country doesn't make sense to me. But on this, I think a healthy rivalry between regions is what sport is all about!

and half of aboriginal team is not aboriginal anyway. they are half/quarter/eighth etc...

So are you saying that Aboriginals not of full blood should ignore their heritage? Admittedly, I don't identify with being Irish, even though I'm technically half-Irish.

Well, now you're going to get me going about how I think having states, in our country doesn't make sense to me. But on this, I think a healthy rivalry between regions is what sport is all about!

so what's wrong with healthy rivalry between people of different race? ;)

So are you saying that Aboriginals not of full blood should ignore their heritage? Admittedly, I don't identify with being Irish, even though I'm technically half-Irish.

well if someone had 4 generation of poms and 1 aboriginal greatgreatgreatgrandmother it doesn't make them aboriginal (or any other nationality for that matter)

the aboriginal vs the rest game was actually created by one of the aboriginal players (preston campbell) to promote indigenous people in sport and give the young aboriginals pride and a role model.

because of it's way of inception, does that mean it's not racist?

like a lot of things in life, this is a compromise.

Obviously the motivation for the series is positive. Aboriginal kids love footy and love their footy stars. therefore the series is a very legitimate way to promote Aboriginal education and pride.

The downside is that I doubt the games will ever be played with a passion to win. Players are under contract to clubs for big bucks so don't need to get hurt, and if the Indi's lost most or every year, it'd reinforce negative stereotyping and self image. If the whites lost most games, it'd be quickly regarded as a PC joke, and few would watch it.

The game outcomes are bound to be a managed affair.

My personal opinion is that Indigenous folks need two things in order to break some of the cycles that many are locked into.

Education and role models.

Anything that promotes successful indigenous Australians has got to be a good thing. I think we are all big enough to support it.

I loved Cathy Freeman carrying the red yellow and black flag. Anything like that which generates pride has got to be a wonderful thing.

On an aside I love that flag. Is recogniseable and instantly associatable with Australia. Reminds me of the Maple Leaf in effect.

A shame that most people wont see past racism if we ever look to change the ANF.

the aboriginal vs the rest game was actually created by one of the aboriginal players (preston campbell) to promote indigenous people in sport and give the young aboriginals pride and a role model.

Seriously, is your 2nd snetnence a comment or a question ?

I loved Cathy Freeman carrying the red yellow and black flag. Anything like that which generates pride has got to be a wonderful thing.

So if I, or anyone else, fly the current Australian flag with pride, isn't it also a wonderful thing?
Or should I hang my head in shame at the sight of the Southern Cross?

Amy

Funny I get nervous and fearful when I see a flag flying, and especially when it's on a car. Those nationalists have a very narrow idea of who deserves to share the air in their country. We need less flags not more.

So if I, or anyone else, fly the current Australian flag with pride, isn't it also a wonderful thing?
Or should I hang my head in shame at the sight of the Southern Cross?

Amy

Yes it is wonderful. Think you drew something from my post that I didn't intend.

Funny I get nervous and fearful when I see a flag flying, and especially when it's on a car. Those nationalists have a very narrow idea of who deserves to share the air in their country. We need less flags not more.

Yes it's a shame that that is the picture we see & the feeling it gives lately, wasn't always the case I don't think and I don't think every one with a flag is one.

It's those behaviours that are an issue Amy, not anything else. It seems to me to have been been escalating a bit so to speak and now died down,

i'd like to see the two flag combine - either the southern cross with the aboriginal flag replacing the union jack ... or the aboriginal flag with the southern cross "somewhere" in it's makeup.

i'd like to see the two flag combine - either the southern cross with the aboriginal flag replacing the union jack ... or the aboriginal flag with the southern cross "somewhere" in it's makeup.

Hey, I like THAT idea. I have no allegiance to the union jack, but wouldn't like to see our flag replaced entirely with the aboriginal flag. But this... I could come at this.

This is me no longer contributing to this thread

Sounds like a committee designing the perfect horse .... ended up with a camel.

They are both great flags but together would be a mess - despite the best of intentions.

I know that the non aboriginals would hate to see the aboriginal flag - because?

They prefer the British one?

Bout time we stopped the us and them attitude to the first Australians. We are all in this together.

Hey, I like THAT idea. I have no allegiance to the union jack, but wouldn't like to see our flag replaced entirely with the aboriginal flag. But this... I could come at this.

This is me no longer contributing to this thread

This is the frist time you've heard such an idea ? :confused:

Wow, so you think that every one who flys a flag, particularly on a car, is automatically a narrowminded racist. And because of your perceptions, people should not fly flags, because it makes you nervous and fearful. I think not.

Personally, I am absolutely dumbfounded that we as a society have gotten to the point where something like this is construed as racist.

Back