Infant Death due to unrepaired deck

Yes very tragic, again decks will come under the microscope and I agree be interesting what will come out of the findings.

How the father gets over this I'm not sure.

Brian

The plot thickens
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/18/inquest-death-yeppoon-baby/

She said she had repeatedly complained to the rental agency by phone, email and through the Residential Tenancies Authority and in person, but nothing had been done.

Mrs Diefenbach described the house as plagued by maintenance problems.

"It was very dirty, the garden had been overgrown, the fence was practically falling over," she said of the house when the couple first moved there in November 2009.

But during her cross-examination of Mrs Diefenbach, counsel assisting the coroner, Ainslie Kirkegaard, said there was no record of all of Mrs Diefenbach's complaints and three O'Reilly's staff members could not recall her telling them about the rotting deck when she said she did.

Knowing that they had a rotten deck, why would they be out on it, especially with children?

The plot thickens
http://www.themorningbulletin.com.au/story/2011/10/18/inquest-death-yeppoon-baby/

Knowing that they had a rotten deck, why would they be out on it, especially with children?

Exactly.
If someone is holding a child and their foot goes thru the deck, they do not toss a child up into the air..they instinctively hold on tight, and the baby will fall with the adult straight down and landing on the deck.
This did not happen the way the parents are stating, in my opinion.

it's a sad day when a tragedy turns into "who to blame".

accidents happen. liability is an issue, but let the lawyers battle it out.

someone just lost a child FFS.

it's a sad day when a tragedy turns into "who to blame".

Its not about "who to blame" its about discussing the event so that all parties are aware of what happened and can possibly look at their own experiences and ensure something like this doesnt happen again.

Maybe someone who reads this thread might think 'actually, better check that deck again, its pretty old and I thought it was still good for another year or two but maybe I should replace it just in case'

Maybe someone else thinks 'my front deck is pretty bad and the landlord hasnt fixed it, maybe its time to get him to do it'

Its all about prevention through discussion and learning from events, it is a tragedy? absolutely, but it would be a bigger tragedy if it happened again next month because people stuck their heads in the sand and didnt want to talk about it.

Its not about "who to blame" its about discussing the event so that all parties are aware of what happened and can possibly look at their own experiences and ensure something like this doesnt happen again.

Maybe someone who reads this thread might think 'actually, better check that deck again, its pretty old and I thought it was still good for another year or two but maybe I should replace it just in case'

Maybe someone else thinks 'my front deck is pretty bad and the landlord hasnt fixed it, maybe its time to get him to do it'

Its all about prevention through discussion and learning from events, it is a tragedy? absolutely, but it would be a bigger tragedy if it happened again next month because people stuck their heads in the sand and didnt want to talk about it.

prevention through discussion is cool - my issue is with grief stricken parents out for revenge.

no amount of bitter court battle, no amount of compensation will bring a child back and erase the guilt - if anything, it wil leave you more bitter and twisted.

people need to understand that to let go and heal, you need to let go and heal.

prevention through discussion is cool - my issue is with grief stricken parents out for revenge.

no amount of bitter court battle, no amount of compensation will bring a child back and erase the guilt - if anything, it wil leave you more bitter and twisted.

Sorry mate I misunderstood you, I thought you were talking about the participants in this thread and not the situation itself.

I totally agree, its unfortunately human nature to look for someone to blame even when (maybe not in this case) the situation is noones fault and then you often get the knee jerk reaction from opportunists looking to promote their political agendas riding the bandwagon (generally) to the detriment of the rest of society.

Maybe in this very controlled modern environment that we live in we have lost the ability of acceptance, just accepting that the world is a dangerous place, accepting that there are things that are out of our control that happen and can affect our lives dramatically.

this isnt a compensation case.. it is an inquest. Generally speaking, this process will have been intiated by the coroner, not the parents. In fact, the parents will be just as much under investigation as everyone else and they probably would not have had any choice in whether an inquest was conducted.
I think its a bit early to be saying that the parents arent telling the whole story (as per KathrynD's post), or that they are out for revenge......
its a tragic situation, and the last thing the parents need is people hearing snippets of the case and casting judgement upon them.

this isnt a compensation case.. it is an inquest. Generally speaking, this process will have been intiated by the coroner, not the parents. In fact, the parents will be just as much under investigation as everyone else and they probably would not have had any choice in whether an inquest was conducted.
I think its a bit early to be saying that the parents arent telling the whole story (as per KathrynD's post), or that they are out for revenge......
its a tragic situation, and the last thing the parents need is people hearing snippets of the case and casting judgement upon them.

investigating what happened to prevent it happeneing again should be par for the course.

I remember this happening, it was a bit vague at the time but I gathered the father was walking / moving around on the deck and tripped / slipped or something to do with the deck and the baby went flying.
Very tragic for all concerned.

There are thousands of coroners cases in each state every year, yet only a tiny percentage make it to court (inquest). The parties involved do not decide this - the coroner does.

The reason they do go to court is because evidence they have strongly indicates it's more than just an unfortunate event or accident, and for the sake of public safety (so the event does not occur again - or at the very least the potential for it is minimized) proceeds to a full a legal investigation.

Back