Inflation from 1975 today

Does anyone know how much inflation has gone up per year in percentage terms from 1975 to today?

Per year it's varied between roughly 2 and 15% with generally high inflation in the 1970s and 1980s. The 1980s was marked by us having higher inflation that Europe/Japan/USA and the value of our dollar (generally) sliding.

But by and large in Australia it's been tamed to between 2-5% since the 'recession we had to have' of the early 1990s.

and it looks like this.

cpi.gif

While it looks interesting, the housing CPI figures as published by the ABS do not apply to actual house prices.

And neither do the stats called "house price" from June 1999 apply to real house prices.

While it looks interesting, the housing CPI figures as published by the ABS do not apply to actual house prices.

And neither do the stats called "house price" from June 1999 apply to real house prices.

PB, didn't use housing cpi, used general cpi.....

"index numbers: all groups ; Australia"

ABS
1950 Sydney avg house price $5,000 --> 1966 $13,000 --->1974 $33,000
Average house prices June 1979:
Randwick $65,000
Woollahra $109,000
Liverpool $42,000
Hunters Hill $85,000
Manly $78,000
Nth Sydney $85,000
Gosford $40,000

If my memory of my economics classes are correct, it was a wool boom created in large part by the Korean War, causing a huge spike in our terms of trade.

Yeah, my dad vaguely remembers it, as he was 12 in 1952, but he heard about it for a long time after. A pound of wool was worth a pound. All the old timers talked about 'the pound a pound' for ever more after it happened. For a few short years Australian farmers were really rolling in money. Farms were paid off in a few years, fortunes were made.

See ya's.

Yeah, my dad vaguely remembers it, as he was 12 in 1952, but he heard about it for a long time after. A pound of wool was worth a pound. All the old timers talked about 'the pound a pound' for ever more after it happened. For a few short years Australian farmers were really rolling in money. Farms were paid off in a few years, fortunes were made.

See ya's.
My Dad tells stories of this time as well, good time for wool growers.

'When Wool was King' - Alec Morrison, has a fascinating chapter called 'The Fabulous Fifties'.

'Then, between June and September 1950 prices jumped by 50 per cent, and began climbing towards the peak of March 1951, when they reached the dizzy average of 251 pounds per bale. As a comparison, that was around six times the price being enjoyed by growers in the improved market of 2002, which was he best in more than a decade. Such prices had never been seen before, nor will they be seen again'
'In 1951 York Motors were offering the 4.5 litre Bentley, pointing out: 'Now is the time to buy! More and more succesful primary producers are choosing Bentleys. Today, fewer bags of wheat or bales of wool are required to purchase a Bentley than ever before'.
Real estate agents were seeking buyers for a fully furnished two bedroom cottage at Palm Beach for 6500 pounds.
:)

Once apon a time somebody here posted a spreadsheet going way back, detailing annual inflation and who was in govt/treasury.....

Back