Inflation-The Silent Tax & Grocery Goods Thread

Recalling Ausprops earlier comments on RP Data prices, how is inflation going on everyday products and how has our ‘basket’ of goodies changed?

The Grocery Shrink Ray Gun is at work at the supermarkets

The Mars Bar, Australia's biggest-selling snack is becoming 11 per cent smaller -and it's all in the interests of our health, its maker says. The price, however, won't change….. in real figures its increasing :eek:

Cadbury Chocolate 250 gm Blocks are 20 per cent smaller. The price is the same and with new packaging ‘appears’ to be the same size as the old blocks, what’s that a 25% per cent increase on price, less product for more cash??

Some potato chips have reduced in weight also without price reductions

Western Power (WA) has been talking about a 52% rise (so much for splitting this company up to save the taxpayers wallet). There is also talk of a 65% rise over the next two years also

Gas Tariffs have risen (WA) a quick search shows about a 23% rise

An interesting thread from 2007 on SS also
Do you believe in CPI reported by ABS?

We're always amazed at the increases on council rates as its a time of year when we notice it (other than shopping), almost double CPI and not keeping up with my wages, they go up whether property values have or not :D

It would be interesting to see other 'local' examples from the forum

Hi Redwing

You have given some good examples.
The real fun will start when the general populace realise that inflation has been endemic for a while. That always takes a while.

Cheers

Shane

Cadbury Chocolate 250 gm Blocks are 20 per cent smaller. The price is the same and with new packaging ‘appears’ to be the same size as the old blocks, what’s that a 25% per cent increase on price, less product for more cash??

they also changed the ingredients...........go buy one and see....its like chewing a piece of fat now............i was that annoyed i wrote to them..........love my chocolate, chips and coke while watching the footy but i flatly refuse to buy another family block anymore....its terrible...

price doesnt worry me, id buy if they were ten bucks a block if the quality was still there!

havnt found a replcement as yet..nestle just doesnt cut it!

in our business we have changed things a little recently as well to help with revenue.

we use to sell our product as a 1000 piece minimum, we have increased that to a minimum of 1200 pieces...kept the same price as we had for 1000 pieces............has not affected business, in fact its genuinely increased net revenue nicely...not one complaint yet..........more than one way to skin a cat!

cheers

price doesnt worry me, id buy if they were ten bucks a block if the quality was still there!
cheers

Hey CSC, You better go for a better brand then. A nice authentic Belgian chocolate beats cadbury any day for me.

On inflation, building products continue to rise in cost. We had 20kg bags of cement rise around 12% last week. :eek: Apparantly Boral is about to jack up its prices according to the project builders that I am currently working with. I can't see any sign of deflation occurring around my neck of the woods. Though I always marvel at how fruit and veg never rises much in price.

they also changed the ingredients...........go buy one and see....its like chewing a piece of fat now............i was that annoyed i wrote to them..........love my chocolate, chips and coke while watching the footy but i flatly refuse to buy another family block anymore....its terrible...
Really? I'm allergic to most of their chocolate except the old gold 70% stuff, and since they dropped the block size from 250 to 200g and we're in the country they've had a HUGE stand with them at $3.99 for the past several weeks clearing the old stock out. The old gold is pretty boring chocolate so it seems to be overrepresented on the specials stand, not that we're complaining about that ;)

I haven't checked to see if they've snuck the evil ingredient I'm allergic to into the new size, if they have I'm going to be royally ticked off.

Sanitarium weetbix Multigrain, double the price but fabulous, used to have to use a fork to break them, now changed to just the same as the ordinary ones. Have changed to Muesli after buying them for 6/7 years.

I wonder why the cadbury add I saw recently still advertised a glass and a half of milk in every block.
Is the reason for the new not so great taste, the fact that; the milk ratio has gone up - now that the blocks are 30 - 50gram smaller?;)

I am a choc a holic as well.
Have been on a health bender for a while and, just now fell off the wagon. My big splurge was my beloved chocolate.. and it did taste different, I thought I must off brought a stale or expired block....OMG I am going to find a different indulgence...

We love the new chocolate bar Cabdury just brought out - 'Bubbly' (Cadbury's version of Nestle Aero). I reckon it might still be the old formula, however it's not available in supermarkets yet, only servo's.

At the supermarket the other day was a lady giving samples of a muesli type bar. It tasted nice and they were 2 boxes of 6 for $5. I thought "that's cheap", The ones I usually get are $3 a box of 6. When I got home I opened one. The bar was tiny. I looked at the box and the total weight was 210g as opposed to 325 on my normal one. Ripped off.
I usually check those things but was swayed by the advertising (not like me at all).
I must have been hungry.:eek:

The making things smaller scam is getting out of hand now. It's crazy.

I'm noticing it more and more. And as others said, quality is slipping.

Hey CSC, You better go for a better brand then. A nice authentic Belgian chocolate beats cadbury any day for me.

Wollies/Coles stock them Rockstar? If so whats the brand please?

Dying here last two nights watching the footy! knuckles dont taste so good! :)

I'll pass on Aldi stuff, went once, never again..no Aldi in my area anyway, 600km plus away is the nearest....

Cheers

lindt is really nice, woolies and coles have it but you will pay about 1.99 for 100gms on sale I think the normal price is 3.99 for 100gm. melts in your mouth

I think Cadbury said they had increased the vegetable oil which is why it tastes like cheap chocolate now. Apparently, Coles Belgian Chocolate won a recent blind taste test on ACA or a Current Affair recently. And that included some of the expensive choccies too! The taste test was done because of Cadbury changing their recipe. I vowed I wouldnt buy generic brands though, dammit!

I'll take any chocolate as long as it doesn't have the ingredient I'm allergic to in it!

(ingredient also found in lots of commercial biscuits, cakes, crackers, icecream, lollies, and almost all chocolate ... and you wonder why I'm skinny)

I belive Arnotts and Kellogs have regularly played around with sizes and prices as well?

Tim-Tams were another product when they brought in the new flavours that got hit by the Grocery Shrink Ray Gun

Back