Info on infrastructure/resource

This may be useful to some.

Vic plans coal exports

16th October 2009

The Victoria State Government plans to offer billions of tonnes of Latrobe Valley coal for tender. At the same time, it plans to approve a $1.5 billion plan by Exergen to mine, dry and export 12 million tonnes of brown coal per year, for use in Indian power stations. Exergen plans a 150km underground pipeline to carry the dried coal from the Latrobe Valley to Hastings on Western Port. It hopes to build a demonstration plant capable of processing 50 tonnes an hour – if successful, a larger plant would be developed with exports to start in 2014.

Arrow begins work on Surat project

16th October 2009

Arrow Energy plans to invest $1.5 billion in a Coal Seam Gas venture in Queensland’s Surat Basin. The company has started an environmental impact statement on the Surat Gas Project, which entails the staged development of 1,500 production wells and associated infrastructure, as well as a pipeline between the Surat Basin and Gladstone. The project covers Arrow’s existing gas fields which stretch from Wandoan to Dalby.

$500mil rail link approved

15th October 2009

The Queensland Government has given conditional approval for a QR Limited project to link the Moura-Gladstone rail line to the Aldoga Industrial estate near Gladstone. The $500 million project is expected to significantly improve the intermodal facilities for the port of Gladstone, as well as create 350 construction jobs and 700 ongoing jobs.

Vic sands mine starts work

15th October 2009

Mineral sands miner Iluka Resources has started production at its Victorian project. The Murray Basin stage two project at Kulwin, about 100km south of Mildura, is projected to have a mine life of 15 years. The company’s South Australian mineral sands project is due to start production in November.

Vic centre upgrade fast-tracked

15th October 2009

A $50 million expansion of the Gateway Plaza shopping centre in Warrnambool will be fast-tracked by Planning Minister Justin Madden because it will create 600 jobs. The project is the subject of a dispute between AMP Capital Investors and Warrnambool City Council, which wishes to impose planning restrictions. The expansion will double the size of the centre by adding a supermarket, discount department store and extra specialty shops.

$1.25bil port planned for Nth Qld

13th October 2009

An environmental assessment of the $1.25 billion port proposed at Abbot Point near Bowen in North Queensland has begun, according to ABC News. The protected harbour will be developed on 320 hectares of reclaimed land near Bowen, with 12 shipping berths, a tug harbour and a dredged access channel, swing basin and birth pockets

SA retail project approved

13th October 2009

Makris Corporation’s controversial Encounter Bay shopping centre near Victor Harbor has been approved, according to The Advertiser. A provisional development approval gives it two years to comply with a list of reserved matters and begin substantial work on the site. The 35ha retail and residential development is expected to generate 760 new full-time jobs and $315 million a year for the regional economy during the next decade

Vic desal plant under way

8th October 2009

Construction has started on the $3.5 billion desalination plant at Wonthaggi in Victoria. The Aquasure consortium has 65 workers on site and expects to have 200 people working on site by the end of the year. The project includes construction of the desalination plant, an 84km transfer pipeline and underground power. Morwell-based company RTL has been awarded a $10 million contract to complete earth works. The project is designed to provide 150 billion litres of Melbourne’s water by the end of 2011

SA ore mine & port planned

7th October 2009

The South Australian Government has supported plans for an iron ore mine and export facility at Port Lincoln. Centrex Metals plans to develop an iron ore mine near Lock on the Eyre Peninsula and export 1.6 million tonnes of ore via Port Lincoln. This will mean construction of a bulk materials handling facility, despite opposition from the local aquaculture industry. Centrex says the project will create up to 150 fulltime jobs and around 400 indirect jobs, injecting $70 million per year into the local economy.

Wind farm planned near Gambier

6th October 2009

Acciona Energy has applied to develop a 47-turbine wind farm near Mount Gambier in the south-east of South Australia. It will provide enough energy to power 43,000 homes and create 50 jobs during construction.

Retail projects sought for Orange

6th October 2009

Orange City Council has asked the NSW Planning Department to rezone land in Orange to allow development of bulky good retail projects totaling over 10,000m2. A bulky goods retail centre planned for the former Prime Studios site will have 7335m2 of retail space and 299 car parking spaces. A nearby service station site is the subject of a planned development of 1000m2 while a third project will provide 2000m2 of retail space.

Another tunnel planned for Brisbane

5th October 2009

Another toad tunnel has been proposed for Brisbane by the State Government, this one linking the Centenary Highway at Toowong in the western suburbs to Everton Park in the northern suburbs. It is designed to provide Brisbane with the orbital ring road it currently lacks, linking the Bruce Highway to the Ipswich Motorway. The tunnel is included in the Western Brisbane Transport Strategy, which outlines the State Government’s plans until 2026.

Marina approved for Innisfail

5th October 2009

A $130 million marina residential development has been approved for Innisfail in northern Queensland. The project by Metricon Queensland will include 56 marina berths, 179 housing allotments, apartments and shops. The Sea Haven development will cover 88 hectares.

Retail chains target Ipswich City

5th October 2009

Eight chain stores have opened retail outlets in Ipswich in the past 12 months. They include Spotlight, Elite Fitness, Amart Allsports, the Reject Shop, Specsavers and Fantastic Furniture.

$750mil power station moves ahead

1st October 2009

HRL is proceeding with a $750 million gas-fired power station in Victoria's Latrobe Valley, which has attracted $150 million in government grants. The 550mw plant will be built near Morwell by 2013. The demonstration plant – known as the Dual Gas Demonstration Project - is expected to create 350 jobs during construction and 35 ongoing jobs

Work starts on Kingaroy mine

1st October 2009

Cougar Energy has started work on a trial production plant that will burn coal underground near Kingaroy. It plans to build a 400mw power station if the trial is successful. Local residents are concerned about the project’s impact on water and air quality; the company says it is operating under an environmental authority with 130 conditions covering air quality, water quality and noise vibration.

SA activity to be boosted by mine

24th September 2009

The multi-billion-dollar expansion of the Olympic Dam mine will create a 25% boost to engineering construction in South Australia, according to economic forecaster BIS Shrapnel. The report predicts engineering activity will continue to grow in SA over the next two years, after increasing 35% in the past year – including spending on roads, water, electricity and mining activity

18,000 jobs in new LNG industry

18th September 2009

The State Government’s “Blueprint for Queensland’s LNG Industry” estimates that 18,000 jobs can be created from the CSG-to-LNG industry. Premier Anna Bligh says there are currently eight major projects in planning worth $40 billion in capital expenditure, with Gladstone the hub.

NSW mine output to be tripled

17th September 2009

Japanese company Idemitsu plans to triple the size of its coal operations near Boggabri in NSW. It will spend $150 million to expand the Boggabri mine from 1.5 million tonnes a year to 4.3 million tonnes by 2013. Idemitsu is also negotiating for greater access at the Newcastle port.

Cheers, MTR

Back