Infringement Notice - Bendigo

You can go to the magistrates' court to contest it, to drag it out further. You will really annoy the police officer because he has to prepare a brief of evidence etc :)

Hi All,

Thanks for all your comments. I had written a letter to VIC Compliance Officer contesting my fine and demerit points

After 10 weeks I got response back stating I have to pay the fine of 244$ and 3 demerit points would be applied.

I can pay the fine, but have asked for payment plan and have signed up for 25$ every fortnight. Let those Ba$*@*!$ wait for the money, thats least I could do
Good for you.

That's the community attitude I like.

Cops are @rseholes - until you need one, right?

Cops are like lots of other front line workers. Most of them put on a brave face and do a difficult job for not enough pay. A few of them get bitter or carried away.

The trick when dealing with them is not to get hot under the collar, and if you're feeling 'picked on' to take their name, station and write detailed notes and make a formal complaint. That said, I have never felt picked on by cops in my life, and I've been breath tested over 80 times now. I also like fast cars (but am not a serial speeder or purveyor of burnouts).

I had a pair of cops pull me over for a 'random' breath test one night after giving the V8 some welly around the roundabout near my house (didn't spin wheels, didn't break speed limit, no other cars around). They followed me for 2 or 3 km then pulled me over. After the breath test and a few minutes waiting (presumably while they checked the vehicle and license for outstanding matters) one of them came back and said "you went too hard on the roundabout back there", then stood back and looked me in the eye. I looked straight back and smiled and replied "no problem, message received". We then said good night and parted ways.

All of the people I know who have had trouble with the police (and yes, I knew quite a few) all have attitude problems, and tend to shout and scream and argue when confronted. I can see how these situations can escalate.

If the sign is missing or cannot be easily seen or is disfigured, then it’s probable that there can be no application of the law to which the sign may have referred. I’ve beaten every one of my parking infringement, and a few rolling offences that friends have had due to the circumstances at the time. (I've never had a rolling offence.) If there was no sign then you could challenge the offence, but you only get one letter. After this it’s a magistrate’s Court matter.

I agree about the foolishness of minor speed breaches in high-speed zones. Fines go into consolidated revenue.

All of the people I know who have had trouble with the police (and yes, I knew quite a few) all have attitude problems, and tend to shout and scream and argue when confronted. I can see how these situations can escalate.
Dare I say this would be the case 100% of the time?

I immediately thought this when I heard the story on the news about the 14 year old who got tasered the other day.

Why would cops be wasting time with a 14 year old, unless he was doing something that required them to defend themselves?

They don't just whip out the taser and fire with abandon for something to do - it's not worth their jobs; they warn the suspect very clearly before hand that if they don't desist they will be tasered.

People have no respect for the cops anymore, and happily taunt them and abuse them until they get too in their face, thinking they can continue on infinitum.

Cops are trained to listen to f/wits doing this without responding, but they draw the line at personal threats and attacks that will injure them (or others) or worse.

I had a funny old time coming back from a function on Melbourne Cup. It was a networking event so I only had one drink the entire time I was there (about 5 hours).

I was pulled over for an RBT 3 times coming home.

The first and the third one was fine. G'day, how are you, shame you have to work today, etc etc just having a chat. Even got talking about my car to one of them. He has a Golf GTI and wanted to chat about mods and plans. Was actually quite enjoyable.

The second was just unpleasant. Usual G'day how are you, bit warm out. He just snarled and told me to stop being cheeky and covering for the fact I had been drinking. Ended up with him throwing my licence back in the car and telling my to get out.

Maybe he had a bad "client" before me or something, but the thing is, I have respect for cops, especially those running RBTs as I think it is a far better road safety outcome than lurking in the bushes pinging people for doing 115 in a 110 zone.

He probably complains about the lack of respect he gets all the time. The other 2 officers probably don't.

Respect does work 2 ways. Most members of the public never see the police except for RBTs and the like. You come across as a polite professional and there is no ill-feeling in the community. You come across as an unpleasant, arrogant and aggressive individual and that can create feelings of ill-will towards the police force as a whole.

There are good, bad, honest and corrupt cops. A decent cop is worth his (or her) weight in gold and it's a shame their salaries don't nearly reflect that. It's a damn hard job and one I certainly couldn't do.

Better salaries would, to some extent, discourage corruption and general 'badness'. It would also make entry into the police force/service more competitive, theoretically attracting a better pool of applicants.

There will always be some bad apples, particularly in a profession which appeals to those who enjoy power and control, but as their salaries stand, too much is asked of them and it's little wonder so many become embittered.

Respect does work 2 ways. Most members of the public never see the police except for RBTs and the like. You come across as a polite professional and there is no ill-feeling in the community. You come across as an unpleasant, arrogant and aggressive individual and that can create feelings of ill-will towards the police force as a whole.

Apart from a few RBT's here and there, I have only had 1 direct dealing with the police which was after a car accident where my brakes failed on the Hume Hwy south of Sydney and I had the options of rear ending a stopped truck 100m ahead, side swiping a car on my right or taking the car up the nature strip and using a telegraph pole to spin the car and stop it.

The cops that turned up were really arrogant, and despite the truck ahead staying around to confirm what happened, the cops told me "I dont know how honest a person you are, but I believe you were tailgating and could not stop in time".

The absence of skid marks on the road, and the truck driver saying I was nowhere near him made no difference, they had made up their minds and issued their quota of fines regardless.

Highlighted in a previous post, most people have very few interactions with police. Naturally, most people establish an opinion of police in general based of these experiences. Knowing this, you'd think police would put in the extra effort in order to keep the respect of the wider community.

My recent and not so recent dealings with the police haven't been positive. Yet, they could have quite easily been a lot better.

- Stopped for going through a red light. The policewoman's attitude was like she was just looking for an argument. I didn't run the red and she wasn't in the position to see anyway. My license check came up clean of course. Naturally, I was just told to 'be careful in future'. Must have been such a disappointment for her...

- Had my windscreen smashed as a result of kids throwing a brick through it. I reported it to the police but they were more intent on getting my details and didn't really seem concerned about the incident at all.

- Found a wallet without identification and wanting to do the right thing, handed it in to the police hoping they could locate the owner. Again, bad attitude. The guy actually said "We're in the business of catching crooks, not 'lost and found'". I guess serving the community is way down the priority list.

- Reported *extremely* dangerous driving (basically a crane truck actually trying to run a car off the road - I'm not exaggerating). Found a number to ring to report the incident and the impression that I got was that they didn'really care or know what to do about my call. As if I had just dialled the local milk bar or something. After my explanation their initial response was "What were they doing in the right hand lane? They shouldn't have been there." The incident happened on a freeway.

I still have respect for police in general as they do a difficult job and don't get the recognition (like teachers and nurses, IMO). However, showing some respect towards general people in the community would go a long way. Especially as it would be so easy to do so. There's no need for the attitude.
Whenever I watch those NZ shows with the traffic/highway patrol cops I'm amazed those guys are so polite and friendly even when the person they're talking to is clearly doing the wrong thing. I guess they figure that responding with aggression generally doesn't help diffuse the situation.

*snip*
Whenever I watch those NZ shows with the traffic/highway patrol cops I'm amazed those guys are so polite and friendly even when the person they're talking to is clearly doing the wrong thing. I guess they figure that responding with aggression generally doesn't help diffuse the situation.

And being on camera wouldn't influence their behaviour, now, would it? ;)

And being on camera wouldn't influence their behaviour, now, would it? ;)

Yeah, good point.

Maybe I should take a camera with me when driving and use it next time I get pulled over. It won't make prime time TV but I guess it could go on YouTube.

Not sure they'd go for it, though.

And of course there's the fine I'd get for operating it while in control of a vehicle.

Maybe I should be more proactive and offer them a few bags of cannabis that I keep in the glovebox. Should keep 'em happy. :D

Would you issue a fine to a little old lady for failing to give way at a give way sign? Probably not.

Consider this though...Little old lady fails to give way, hits an oncoming car, who in turn loses control and hits a pedestrian standing near the road...result? Someone got a knock at the door by a Police Officer with news that destroyed their lives. But it was only a simple fail to give way!!!

Revenue raising???

Back