Infringement Notice - Bendigo

hi All,

Inspired by the members inclination towards Bendigo as investment spot, I decided to checkout the place myself on the weekend.

Lined up some inspections on Sat and drove to Bendigo from Melb (130 kms one way). Inspected 6-7 houses on Sat and one agent suggested since I am visitng Bendigo for the first time, should go and visit some tourist sites.

His suggestion was to visit
-Sacred heart Cathedral
-Central Deborah Gold Mine

Checked out the first site and then visited the second.

Call it bad luck, entered the lane adjacent to the Gold mine and parked the car.

When I stepped out, there were cops behind me and asked me to provide my license.

They told me I did not see No Entry sign and entered the lane which was ONE WAY only. They also did breath test but I had not consumed alcohol.

Believe me it was only 10-20 mts inside the lane and parked the car in 3rd bay

I received the notice today and it was staggerring 248$ with 3 demerit points.

Australia is a lucky country and its FAIR GO for everyone...

I am thinking why did I go to Bendigo....

Is there a way I can get away with the fine (either a fee waiver or reduction in demerit points).

Regards,
TV

It is all about safety, nothing to do with revenue.

Was the No Entry sign clearly visible? Take photos if it was in anyway dodgy, leaning, obscured from certain angles. Write to arbitration and even if not possible to overturn this, delay the process for as long as possible and make the b*****ds wait for the money.

Good luck.

i had a fine for speeding in Melbourne. I was going 2 km over the speedlimit, or something like that, and the fine and demerit points was significant. I also got whacked extra by the rental car company for having to process the paperwork.
No wonder they have much better roads than NSW.. the fines must significantly increase their revenue!

hi All,

Inspired by the members inclination towards Bendigo as investment spot, I decided to checkout the place myself on the weekend.

Lined up some inspections on Sat and drove to Bendigo from Melb (130 kms one way). Inspected 6-7 houses on Sat and one agent suggested since I am visitng Bendigo for the first time, should go and visit some tourist sites.

His suggestion was to visit
-Sacred heart Cathedral
-Central Deborah Gold Mine

Checked out the first site and then visited the second.

Call it bad luck, entered the lane adjacent to the Gold mine and parked the car.

When I stepped out, there were cops behind me and asked me to provide my license.

They told me I did not see No Entry sign and entered the lane which was ONE WAY only. They also did breath test but I had not consumed alcohol.

Believe me it was only 10-20 mts inside the lane and parked the car in 3rd bay

I received the notice today and it was staggerring 248$ with 3 demerit points.

Australia is a lucky country and its FAIR GO for everyone...

I am thinking why did I go to Bendigo....

Is there a way I can get away with the fine (either a fee waiver or reduction in demerit points).

Regards,
TV

Cop the fine, pay it, and forget it! Move on and worry about the big picture!

pinkboy

i had a fine for speeding in Melbourne. I was going 2 km over the speedlimit, or something like that, and the fine and demerit points was significant. I also got whacked extra by the rental car company for having to process the paperwork.
No wonder they have much better roads than NSW.. the fines must significantly increase their revenue!

Now, that's harsh.

What happened to the bit of margin they're meant to give you, to make up for speedo inaccuracy... or is that a fallacy?

What happened to the bit of margin they're meant to give you, to make up for speedo inaccuracy... or is that a fallacy?

In an interview about a year ago relating to speed cameras, a spokesman from the RTA (I think it was) was asked what the tolerance for escaping a fine was over and above the speed limit in a specific area?

His response was something like this: "There isn't one, and even if there was; I wouldn't tell you".

Probably better if we stick to the speed limit; harder to get fined that way.

The day before yesterday I drove to work as I normally do. It takes me about a minute or so usually. (I would walk, which would only take about 10 or so minutes, but I need the work car for pick-ups and drop offs)

As I went past one of the intersections I need to go past, a young bloke (one of our customers at the workshop) turned in front of me, heading in the same direction. He drives a hotted-up Toyota Supra with cool wheels, lowered etc...a P-plater.

He sped away, exceeding the speed limit all the way (I was sitting right on it, so I know he was exceeding it). This is a built-up residential area of 50kmph.

When he finally got to his destination (a shop about 100m from ours) and stopped, I was perhaps 300m, and about 4 or 5 seconds behind him.

Now, honestly........:rolleyes:

What's the point of wasting money and air time on TAC ads with this sort of carry-on?

Be difficult to fight. You would also have to take in the value of you're time in fighting it. Are there more important things you can do instead if driving back to bendigo, taking photos as evidence and writing letters? Which is the logical approach to arguing your case in this scenario.

There is driving which is dangerous and there is speeding. Sometimes they can be combined. Often they are not.

Someone doing 5k under the limit while not paying attention is far more dangerous than someone doing 10 over the limit on a new highway who is paying attention.

I know how you feel ... a few years back I stopped in a bus zone barely long enough for older child to leap out for school. Would've been no longer than 3 seconds. Not a bus in sight along the whole stretch of road ... $280 fine arrived in the mail.

There is safety - and there is revenue raising.

There is no harm in writing and asking for clemency, if you have a long, good driving record sometimes they will let you off in NSW.

If you get booked regularly then you are are unlikely to get off but both my wife and I have been forgiven one offence in 10 years driving.

It will only cost a stamp :)

His response was something like this: "There isn't one, and even if there was; I wouldn't tell you".

Probably better if we stick to the speed limit; harder to get fined that way.

My understanding was the bit of leeway was for the small margin of error in speedometers, eg. mine shows 60kms but the police radar shows 62k, not for tolerance reasons.

about 2 years ago started a new job, finished late at night, very dark,

I got caught on the fixed speed camera 84 km in a 80 zone, 11 TIMES in 11 DAYS!

Was not a happy jan, wrote a letter saying that it was my first time on the road, and that I admitted going too fast, however, wasnt the aim of a infringement to encourage you to learn from your mistakes, and to get 11 in 11 days in one shot a few weeks later, didnt give me an opportunity to adjust my behaviour.

Didnt get very far with them,

lesson learnt, they could have just put it in one envelope and not sent me 11 separate ones, saves on paper and postage!

My understanding was the bit of leeway was for the small margin of error in speedometers, eg. mine shows 60kms but the police radar shows 62k, not for tolerance reasons.

That should be how it is done. But Victoria views motorists as a cash cow. The previous ADRs allowed for a +/- 10% error. Tyre pressures also have an impact, so do fitting different wheels and tyres. Hence the outcry over the low tolerances in Victoria.

about 2 years ago started a new job, finished late at night, very dark,

I got caught on the fixed speed camera 84 km in a 80 zone, 11 TIMES in 11 DAYS!

Was not a happy jan, wrote a letter saying that it was my first time on the road, and that I admitted going too fast, however, wasnt the aim of a infringement to encourage you to learn from your mistakes, and to get 11 in 11 days in one shot a few weeks later, didnt give me an opportunity to adjust my behaviour.

Didnt get very far with them,

lesson learnt, they could have just put it in one envelope and not sent me 11 separate ones, saves on paper and postage!

Exactly my issue with scameras. There is no direct linkage made. Getting pulled over, lectured and sometimes fined is far better than getting something in the post 4 weeks later.

I suspect that there is one, but he didn't want to reveal it on tv, because guess what would happen?...

If the speed limit was say; 60km/h, and everyone knew the "tolerance" was say; 5%, then everyone would be sitting on 63km/h immediately and sneak out a coupla K more.

Far safer to admit nothing to the public in this case.

I suspect that there is one, but he didn't want to reveal it on tv, because guess what would happen?...

If the speed limit was say; 60km/h, and everyone knew the "tolerance" was say; 5%, then everyone would be sitting on 63km/h immediately and sneak out a coupla K more.

Far safer to admit nothing to the public in this case.

And the impact of those couple of kms would be the death of every small child in a 500km radius, right?

what? you mean, roll over and let draconian application of law take precedent?

Draconian? Whoa, steady up there

The OP cant just get away with 'Sorry sir, Im not a local and didnt know the laws that applied here' blah blah blah! What if you went up another 'one way street/no entry' and went head on with another car etc, there could be worse than a fine...........

This example is a very simple case of taking responsibility for your actions (albiet a pretty minor infraction I admit that didnt really hurt or affect anyone), and the fact being caught red handed will just be bashing your head against a brick wall soaking up time and energy. No-one likes paying a fine (me included), but we pay the police forces to enforce the laws made for a reason.

Pay the $$$, chalk it up to a little bit of a mistake and wake up call to maybe brush up on the driving skills (we all get complacent driving, fact of life, even me), and spend that time looking for the next IP and not let a little thing like this waste precious time and energy.

pinkboy....^ fair go!

perhaps just one, still too many, Ideot

Actually - I agree. Speeding in built up areas is a no go (although defining speeding is a bit of a problem. If a speedo says you are doing 58, the radar says you are going 64 is it fair that you are fined, which is the issue I am talking about)

But booking someone for 113 in a 110 zone is just idiocy. Pure and simple. If you are convinced that those 3kms makes the difference between life and death I have a bridge over Sydney Harbour I want to sell to you at a cheap price.

Back