Infringement Notice - should it be reissued if owner was not driving?

Our youngest son is driving one of our vehicles a lot since getting his licence.

Last week he was fined for parking in a friend's driveway ($113) and today I received an Infringement Notice for $227 where he was doing 53km in a 40km zone in Willliam Street in the city.

He is going to have to learn really quickly to be more careful, but my question is whether we should ask for the notice to be reissued in his name. It is issued in my husband's name, and I'm unsure whether the questions we will be asked at insurance renewal (or change of company) time cover these types of notices.

I don't want us to face higher premiums when the offences were not committed by us, but by another driver. (I realise I can sign a stat dec as this information is on the form, but I'm asking if the insurance for us will be affected when we were not driving. Perhaps I need to call my insurer, but thought someone here may know the answer.)

Just have to ask is your Son on your car insurance policy when he drives the car with the rego in your name?,because if your son is not on the policy and something more serious happens who do the other person insurance come looking for..
It cost us an extra $560.00 per year to add my youngest daughter on one of the cars,other wise if she was to have a problem while driving they would wipe us then sue us ,just something to think about..imho..

In NSW the infringement notice has a section to make a statutory declaration identifying another driver. Send the notice in, the other drivers gets an amended notice. Parking tickets are not an issue, they don't affect drivers license demerit points.

In NSW, Learner and P1 plate drivers will have their licence suspended for at least three months for ANY speeding offence. So you need to decide whether Dad takes one for the team, or son gets license suspended for 3 months.

Just have to ask is your Son on your car insurance policy when he drives the car with the rego in your name?,because if your son is not on the policy and something more serious happens who do the other person insurance come looking for..
It cost us an extra $560.00 per year to add my youngest daughter on one of the cars,other wise if she was to have a problem while driving they would wipe us then sue us ,just something to think about..imho..

Son is okay to be driving the car. Excess is very high if he is driving, but he is a listed driver.

Edit- Thinking now he may not be listed, but he is authorised with our insurer to drive our cars, but the excess is really high for him. I'm not concerned with that as I checked it all out.

Last edited:
I got a speeding ticket one time while driving my brother's car. When they sent him the fine, he just called them and said I was driving and they sent him a form or something to change it over to me.

Wylie, $113 for a parking ticket in QLD doesn't sound right. Some are more. Some are less. Might be a little more to that one. The fine doesn't seem to match the crime.

Call your insurer for answers and then reallocate.

Back