Inner City Apartment with/without Laundry

How important do you guys think having a separate laundry area is when renters are considering inner city apartments? I would suspect some live busy lives, young and choose not to do laundry themselves. They would also rather pay less rent to offset this?

I should mention apartment would be single bedroom for either a single occupant or couple.

choose not to do laundry themselves. They would also rather pay less rent to offset this?

So who's going to do it for them?

My daughter rents in inner CBD Syd and will never, ever rent an apt without a laundry again. The time and expense of going to the laundromat every week is far in excess of extra rent.

We used to go to the laundromat every week because it was cheaper than water. Water is VERY expensive where I used to live, and very poor quality.

In small apartments you often see threaded washing machine taps in the bathroom for an automatic washer. So if there's no laundry just check there's space in the bathroom to get the connections plumbed in.

You generally get what you pay for. A unit without a laundry will be cheaper to buy and will rent for less.

Our unit doesn't have a laundry but the bathroom is not too small. When the current tenant leaves we are going to change the HUGE hot water system on the floor to one we can mount on the wall and put a small washing machine in it's place, thus increasing the demand and rent.

My son had no laundry when he moved to the city. He used laundromats or me.:D:D Pain in the butt.

GFs last place had no laundry, never ever again. I built a laundry in my last house it was less than 1m wide and 1.5m tall. and matched the vanity.

I have lived with cupboard/euro laundries my whole life
Mum had one growing up
I installed 1 in the last 2 houses i was in
My last 2 rentals have had them

With careful shelving they can be as good as a real thing with out a 2m x 2m bite taken out of your floor plan.

I think it would only work if there is a laundromat close by.
Otherwise it would be a real turn-off.
Can you squash at least a front loader washing machine in somewhere?
Marg

How important do you guys think having a separate laundry area is when renters are considering inner city apartments?

We buy inner city apartments regularly for clients. In order of desireability:
1. Internal laundry in the unit itself
2. Your own laundry in the unit block but not internal
3. Shared laundry in the unit block

Having zero laundry does not even get onto the list - at all!

Tenants don't like it. Investors & OO won't buy them as a preference.

What price choice?

You will get plenty of opinions on the presence of laundry taps. I for one, say it it a must. When I have looked at 50-60's built flats, that is one of my must have's. Communal laundry or having to use a commercial laundry premises is not desirable in my opinion.

But like any feature, the option of having it, even if you don't intend of having a washing machine, is clearly a superior option compared to not having it and not having the choice.

Back