Inner vs Outer burbs a usa perspective

It was an interesting read, but the following disclosure reveals the writer's bias.

(Disclosure: I am the president of Locus, a coalition of real estate developers and investors and a project of Smart Growth America, which supports walkable neighborhoods and transit-oriented development.)

One could suggest that outer areas of Melbourne, such as Tarneit, Hoppers and Werribee in the West, Cranbourne and Pakenham in the East, and Craigieburn, Mernda and Doreen in the North are also "car-dependent". Can't see them slowing down building in the near term.

Other comments from the article:
Today, the most expensive housing is in the high-density, pedestrian-friendly neighborhoods of the center city and inner suburbs.
Over all, only 12 percent of future homebuyers want the drivable suburban-fringe houses that are in such oversupply, according to the Realtors survey.

What that 12% WANT and what they can AFFORD are two different things; hence the growth of building in the outer suburbs. I don't think it has anything to do with being 'car-dependent', but with the right bias, one can draw that conclusion. ;)

I think the article still raises valid points, and the bias is in the open for all to see. At the end of the day, who wouldn't like to get rid of a car or two, from a cost and comfort perspective if you could maintain standard of living.

Back