Inner West Sydney, Not Very Nice Place

I have lived here for about 6 months now and I have to say I don't like this part of Sydney at all. I have lived in various places in Sydney and this would be my least favorite besides when I moved to Belmore after I arrived back from overseas where I grew up as a kid although I was born in north of Sydney. When I was overseas as I grew up I used to picture Sydney and Australia as this place with great surf beaches, lots of blonde girls and a friendly and laid back place. I seen some of that when visiting places like Manly or Northern beaches or even when I lived in Bondi it was not so bad.

Where I live now in Inner west it's the total opposite and I had to go to Auburn recently and it was worse there. What I don't like is the unfriendly and arrogant attitudes of many of the people that live there. Most seem to be immigrants or speak little English. I ask for directions and they ignore you but there is always the odd friendly person that gives you some hope.

The streets I seen in Auburn were dirty, the houses ugly and not maintained, the streets look like people hate the place, filthy and it's like no once cares.

What a disappointment Sydney is. There are many places like that in Sydney.

Did you even go to the area before you decided to live there? 3 minutes would have told you it's not a white beach suburb?

I wonder what kind of response you're looking for.

You could enjoy the richness of the experience or you could go on lamenting that your fantasy bubble has been burst.

What school did you go to in 'the north'?

Isnt Auburn considered West? Inner West to me is more like Newtown to Burwood.

If its any consolation life on the Upper North Shore can be a bit boring.

Yep, Auburn is west.
So is Burwood, despite what real estate agents say.
I reckon once the average age of the original houses in an area is less than 100 years, it's not the inner west. The inner west stops at Dulwich Hill.

In my view

Inner west ends at Dulwich Hill/Haberfield
Outer west ends at Strathfield
Greater west ends at Emu Plains

Actually I live in Burwood. I don't mind it here but I did not like Auburn besides I enjoyed seeing some Asian women in the street selling fruit like a Busker, it reminded me of Asia, people are allowed to sell things in the street there which is nice to see. The rest of it was not my cup of tea. Even Burwood and Strathfield are not that great but livable. I definitely will look forward to moving out of this area soon or traveling back overseas.

I can't understand why anyone would want to buy a house to live in here. Maybe OK for investment but last place I would want to live in this area for the rest of my life :)

Back to topic though, perhaps the OP wants to buy in the inner west and trying to cool this hot market down;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never lived in Burwood before, but lived in Balmain prior to moving overseas and enjoyed it a lot! Sure houses are smaller and parking was a bit tricky, but it's a perfect suburb for families with young children and pets.

In my view

Inner west ends at Dulwich Hill/Haberfield
Outer west ends at Strathfield
Greater west ends at Emu Plains

Burwood and Strathfield are not inner west, either. I would lump them in with Auburn and call them 'mid west'.

Yes right in both cases.

These areas have changed so much in 30 yrs. Strathfield was west but pleasant even if it was far from town.

Even haberfield could in some books be considered west.

There are some gems like Annandale or Forest Lodge.

Auburn, Bankstown & Belmore are in many people's eyes a no go zone.

Inner West goes to maybe Ashfield in that direction. I've heard people say Inner West is the last 'whitey' suburbs on the way out from the City.
Auburn is out there.

It moves out every time there is a boom.
This time round, it seems to be at that 15km point as mentioned by several. It keeps changing. Not that long ago (25 years), inner west stopped at Annandale.

It moves out every time there is a boom.
This time round, it seems to be at that 15km point as mentioned by several. It keeps changing. Not that long ago (25 years), inner west stopped at Annandale.

Sydney's population in 1990 was about 3.7m.

Now it's like 4.5m.

25 years was a long time ago.

I work near Auburn every day, its depressing. At least i get to leave everyday. :)

yeah that is the word I would sum it up, "depressing" it felt like everyone didn't like living there. In fact from the pics I see on TV I would compare it to say Syria where there is a war going on and no one wants to live there.

I felt there was no community spirit or that anyone cared for the place, the houses were dirty and not maintained, the streets were dark and depressing. Maybe there are other parts that are better?

The taxi driver I met was one of the few happy people there but he was from Ryde. I guess he was even happier after I paid $16 for a 10 minute ride. Glad I don't use taxis very often.

the food is cheaper in Ashfield and Auburn. I also visited Ashfield recently. I compared some basic prices of meat.

Rump Steak at local Asian butcher in Burwood was $9,95 a kilo up to 2 months ago, since then it's $11.95

In Ashfield and Auburn the price was still $9.95

Sydney's population in 1990 was about 3.7m.

Now it's like 4.5m.

25 years was a long time ago.

The point isn't degrees of greenness but the fact that it changes with each boom. It has already moved out several times in my lifetime and I anticipate it will continue to do so.

Back