Inner West

Yes, inner west like marrickville, Dulwich hills, sydnenham. The building, shops , etc feels very old dirty, road is very congested and still lots of warehouse.

Exactly.

There are old, shabby unrenovated houses standing next to million dollar properties.

There are old shops that get turned into cafes and sometimes are used as pop-up galleries.

Many of the warehouses are occupied by artists and music venues - some a bit secretly.

It's called 'character' and people pay a premium for it.

I have an Airbnb pad attached to my house - it's the top floor of a warehouse building. Three times I have had people from the north shore book it for a long weekend. I like to imagine them at dinner parties the following month. Their friends will say, 'We went to Thailand last month. Stayed at a little out of the way place that nobody knows about.' Somebody else will say, 'Well, we went to Borneo. We were so out of the way the internet hardly worked.' Then the people who stayed in our digs will pipe up and say, 'We can beat that. We went to Marrickville.'

Scott

Exactly.

There are old, shabby unrenovated houses standing next to million dollar properties.

There are old shops that get turned into cafes and sometimes are used as pop-up galleries.

Many of the warehouses are occupied by artists and music venues - some a bit secretly.

It's called 'character' and people pay a premium for it.

I have an Airbnb pad attached to my house - it's the top floor of a warehouse building. Three times I have had people from the north shore book it for a long weekend. I like to imagine them at dinner parties the following month. Their friends will say, 'We went to Thailand last month. Stayed at a little out of the way place that nobody knows about.' Somebody else will say, 'Well, we went to Borneo. We were so out of the way the internet hardly worked.' Then the people who stayed in our digs will pipe up and say, 'We can beat that. We went to Marrickville.'

Scott

Yeah I guess so, but to live i preferred being in the north/Lower north shore. Feels safer. If you go down to the village on the weekend, you'll see more family with children, more park, less weird people, less graffiti on the shop wall, and the road is more quite compare to inner west....

Yeah I guess so, but to live i preferred being in the north/Lower north shore. Feels safer. If you go down to the village on the weekend, you'll see more family with children, more park, less weird people, less graffiti on the shop wall, and the road is more quite compare to inner west....

The road. Is there only one?
Inner West is a pretty big area - the lower North shore probably is too.
The families with children are the ones that scare me, more weirdos ;)

It has been posted before, but maybe this attachment will help explain things better from everyone else's perspective. :p

Hahaha. I seen that :)

Yeah i Live in the west (near Parramatta). From what I observed, suburbs like Dulwich hill, Marrickville, Five dock, Ashfield, Redfern feels more crowded, dirty, congested.. Compare to suburb like Neutral Bay, WAverton, Woolstencraft, Atarmon, Lane Cove, etc.

I guess if you prefer lifestyle, then Inner west is more trendier, but I like more quieter, and leafier suburb.

It has been posted before, but maybe this attachment will help explain things better from everyone else's perspective. :p

hahaha haven't seen that one before.
Mordor cracked me up. :p

I would never say the north shore is more wholesome than the inner-west. It's the road to ruin for a quite a few wannabes. :rolleyes:
But the dirtiest place I ever lived was Harris Park. Pity. Hope that changes.
Great roads though.

Inner west suburbs vary greatly

Eg Chiswick or Canada bay is nothing like Ashfield or Balmain

if anyone wants to buy in inner west, best to drive through as many suburbs as possible to get a feel so you can work out what you like

I guess if you prefer lifestyle, then Inner west is more trendier, but I like more quieter, and leafier suburb.

Only a small number of inner west suburbs are actually trendy or hipster eg Balmain Newtown rozelle

There are many which fit your preference quiet, leafy, very residential and family dominant, nothing trendy
Eg Canada bay, haberfield, Chiswick, Russell lea, five dock, Abbotsford, wareemba, Drummoyne
:)

Having grown up in Abbotsford and then lived in Drummoyne and Russell Lea, I wouldn't call them inner west. I would call them 'nice' and bit boring. Plenty of parks, though, and of course the river and bays are great. Not much character, though.
I reckon the inner west stops at a line drawn along the western edge of Balmain, Rozelle, Leichhardt, Summer Hill, Dulwich Hill and Marrickville.

My PPOR is in Annandale and I love this suburb, great location being close to everything, leafy, wide streets, quiet, nice caf?s, lots of buses and within walking distance to the waterfront.
I sold my house in Erskineville last year ... I should have kept it.

I think people who live in places like Breakfast Point and Rhodes would be horrified to learn that Wikipedia lumps them in with all us riffraff in the inner west.

Attachments

• 28-05-2015 9-13-37 AM.png
    28-05-2015 9-13-37 AM.png
    561.9 KB · Views: 62
....Mascot - If the tenant not care much about the noise, then you don't need to worry because it is just another IP for you not your PPOR :)

Hmmm... capital growth of an IP will be directly proportional to its amenity and consequently its popularity with future owner-occupier buyers, not the tenants...

hey guys. still on the hunt as ive lost out on a bid :( and have added more suburbs in my search such as pagewood , rozelle and lilyfield. anywhere close to the city and public transport.

Back