Innovative Strategies needed

OK...sorry this hopefully is going to be a short tale of woe but I'll try and paint a picture that isn't too glum. After several years (oh God yes years!) of very ugly divorce and custody battles and a lot of money going to lawyers (and I won't even go into the issues with the ex!) I find myself fast approaching retirement with a small pot of cash, no assets and some super.

Here is where I am sitting at the moment - Late 40's, single parent of a 12 year old, $200K in cash, approx. $120K super, salary of $140K. No other assets, no debts. I currently hold two trusts with no assets but with capital losses I can utilise. Despite my woeful finances I am actually a fairly educated investor

Difficulty 1 - my current employment contract finishes in about 2 months with no guarantee of continuing employment. The industry I am in has had massive redundancies (yes I work in mining) and I work in a niche field which is not easily transferrable to other industries. So in the short term (6-12 months) I cannot rely on my income to service loans and I need to keep around $50k accessible as a buffer

Difficulty 2 - I need to stay in the Brisbane State High catchment for the next few years (South Brisbane, Highgate Hill, West End)

So I've been investigating buyers agents in Brisbane (Metropole, Cashflow Capital, Propell) to get some idea of strategies. Do I buy a tired apartment in my area and live in it whilst I do it up (this way I can immediate use the cash I have available - no additional debt repayments as the mortgage replaces my rent) then one income going forward is assured though work start investing in capital growth properties

Do I continue to rent and invest in cashflow properties or cashflow neutral properties?

Firstly I would like some opinions on buyers agents (I am time poor and as I can can't afford to make mistakes so don't mind paying for expertise in the short term).

Secondly I would love thought on strategies/ideas.

Sorry for the long post. I've been on and off this forum for many many years. Thank you all for your continuing contributions and sharing of knowledge.

Berry

You probably won't be able to borrow without a job, so the first point of call should probably be a mortgage broker.

Agree with Terry, if you want to buy property and get a loan, you need to do it now while you are still employed. You need to get a move on quick.

There are a few mortgage brokers and buyers agents here, so you should have no trouble finding one.

As for strategy, option 1:
Buy a 2 br unit in West End for under 500K, you need 100K deposit and 20K stamp duty (just guessing the stamp duty number, you need to double check), you will still have 70K cash reserve left that should give you about 1-2 years safety buffer to repay your loan in case you lose your job.

Option 2:
Buy a 3 br unit/townhouse for under 650K, you need 130K deposit and 25K stamp duty, you will still have 45K cash reserve left that should give you about 1 year safety buffer to repay your loan in case you lose your job. In addition, you also have the option to rent out the 3rd bedroom to help pay the mortgage as well.

Make sure the buyer agent confirm with the school first that the property is in fact in the catchment area before buying the property.

Back