Insatiable Greed - Sydney

But if Sydney houses are nearing 1 million and Brisbane houses are half the price the difference buys a lot of plane tickets and babysitters.
$30,000/years worth of them

While i agree with your logic, there are more factors than just those. For example:

Not all jobs that are in Sydney are available in Brisbane.
Where they are similar, they may not be similar in pay
Then there's long service leave with the current employer, current work arrangements that may be flexible that may not be on offer etc.

Uprooting and moving interstate isn't as simple as it is sound.... when one is younger its easy to pick up, pack up and go. Priorities change as you get older.

On one hand im cheering that Sydney housing prices are going up. On the other hand, I'm upset because it means my children, nieces, nephews won't be able to afford it in the future... then what? This seems to be what people are forgetting or are conveniently ignoring (just like the guy in the article... upset that prices are going up, but now that he's bought he want it to keep going up).

Go Dec.
If family apron strings are so important to low income earning aged care workers in far outer Sydney suburbs, then grandma can relocate too. Nek I heard all your arguments last time Kellyville made the news, and 4 Corners. Those of us living it up in Brisbane were too busy laughing at them to have any sympathy.
You know Brisbane? The capital city that RP Data announced last week has experienced nil capital growth in the last five years.All the cash saved in purchasing a home up here will pay for a lot of childcare if anyone needs Mummy so desperately. Grow up.

Angel who said anything specific about Kellyville?

Remember you're the one that made a comment about how people should live in North Lakes when they live in Sydney.

32km from Brisbane CBD.... yep thats pretty close....only a 40 minute commute to the CBD.

However are you any different to the guy mentioned in this article - now that you've purchased your property, you're laughing at others who can't enter the own market and as long property keeps increasing in value you don't care about how it impacts the future generations.

Nek, do you and your ilk ever get tired of coming up with these weak excuses?
If you lost your job and couldn't get another in that industry would you try and get another in some different industry or even move to where there may be better opportunity or would you just howl at the moon at how unfair it all was while your family goes hungry and you slowly go backwards until you are eventually pushed onto the street?

Why is housing any different?

Dec, I actually agree with what you've said - and housing is not any different. In fact I could also argue that moving to another state is a cop out because one didn't have the courage to improve themselves to increase their earning capacity to survive in Sydney.

Thing is, we look at it from different perspectives. I'm trying to highlight underlying issues and see the myriad of combinations and where each one takes you. Your example is a very linear way of looking at things - though i understand it is merely an example.

Nothing in life is that simple, in fact I could spend the next hour talking through the different possible combinations amounting from that scenario you've posted.

Life is about balance. Now if the person in the article wants to buy something at an inflated price and go through the stress of dealing with a builder, then so be it. That is his prerogative.

The underlying issue is that these prices are simply not sustainable over the long term.

http://www.macrobusiness.com.au/2013/01/2013-demographia-housing-affordability-survey/

People are going to move to other states, hence driving up other states price. Sure good for those who own properties, but if this continues each generation at the same exponential rate, this isn't a good thing.

With the land release at North West of Sydney, there is plenty of land out there, yet the government allows the artificial limiting of supply to drive up prices - then talk about housing affordability.

But what annoys me how inherently greedy people are.... it seems that its ok to whinge when you don't have, but to laugh and want exactly what one is whinging about after they've got it.... that's just wrong.

Dec, I actually agree with what you've said - and housing is not any different. In fact I could also argue that moving to another state is a cop out because one didn't have the courage to improve themselves to increase their earning capacity to survive in Sydney.
Can the checkout chick at coles improve her lot enough to buy a reasonable Sydney home. How about the mechanic, the teacher, the pourer of refreshing beverages at yor favourite watering hole ?
Probably not.
They can certainly improve their position by moving to a place where a decent home costs 50 % or even less but but you seem to think this is a fools errand.

Speaking of fools.

The trick would be to make the move early, not wait until every one else has cottoned on and then think "I know, lets move to (insert place here) after prices have gone up 100%"
Thats what sheep do.

I get both sides of the argument. Although I don't really get why it's an argument. It's pretty obvious that you all have valid points.

I think if I were in Sydney I would be attempting to pave the way and get family and friends to join me as I move up to Brisbane. Sydney house prices are just too ridiculous.

A lot of young people from Sydney have moved to Central coast and Newcastle for the reasons mentioned above
I don't think moving is necessarily as easy as it sounds

I have no real attachment to melbourne itself, it's the friends I have here which is the main reason I probably wouldn't interstate.
If I was a bit of a loner then I would happily move to say Brisbane or Adelaide

it's only going to end in tear for buyers

A lot of bears said the same thing about the 'Ruddprime' buyers in 2009 (those who bought with Rudd's FHB grant boost). But Sydney house prices are up another 50% since then. The Ruddprimers are laughing all the way to the bank. Not only did they buy when prices were much lower, but they got huge grants to do so, and are now rapidly paying off their loans with the lowest interest rates in decades.

Can the checkout chick at coles improve her lot enough to buy a reasonable Sydney home. How about the mechanic, the teacher, the pourer of refreshing beverages at yor favourite watering hole ?
Probably not.
They can certainly improve their position by moving to a place where a decent home costs 50 % or even less but but you seem to think this is a fools errand.

A person can improve themselves if they have the will power to do so.
A check out chick can invest in further education to move up to deli manager, then to duty manager then to store manager.
The mechanic can learn about how to increase his business revenue by understanding how to hire staff and increase the amount of cars that can be serviced
A teacher can provide additional tuition to earn extra money or take roles invest in further education to move from teacher to head teacher
The beverage pourer can move up to supervisor and from supervisor move into other managerial roles.

My wife knows of a guy in a mid 30's now who use to be a carpenter or similar trade in his 20's. Last I checked he held a head of position in one of the large major banks earning in excess of $300k p.a.

Not everyone has the capacity to do this. However one is for certain, the only person that can apply the limitations to you is yourself.

However if a person has weighed up all the options and it is in their best interest to move interstate then so be it. If they haven't weighed anything up and just running away because its easier, then that's just a cop out.

The one thing I do agree with you on is don't cry poor if you're not prepared to do anything about it.

The trick would be to make the move early, not wait until every one else has cottoned on and then think "I know, lets move to (insert place here) after prices have gone up 100%"
Thats what sheep do.

This really just demonstrates the title of this thread - insatiable greed - As long as i get what i need, screw everyone else (and included within that everyone else whether you like it or not is your children, your grandchildren, your great grandchildren and so on).

Back