Insertion of </div>

Just the past week, when I hit "submit", this HTML tag is automatically inserted at the end of my messages to the forum. Anybody have any suggestions why I may have begun experiencing this? :confused:

Let's see if it inserts one on this message....
</div>

^Ah yes - see, there was nothing after the "...." when I hit submit. How bizarre!

Just the past week, when I hit "submit", this HTML tag is automatically inserted at the end of my messages to the forum. Anybody have any suggestions why I may have begun experiencing this? :confused:

Let's see if it inserts one on this message....
</div>

^Ah yes - see, there was nothing after the "...." when I hit submit. How bizarre!

Not that I know what's going on, but have you changed any of your "additional options" details ?

as part of a troubleshooting approach, log in to the forum on another computer and post to see if you get the same result.

if not, try using a different keyboard on your computer. an external keyboard if you use a laptop.

I have no idea but at least that would help eliminate some variables.

Stran, a lot of people who lead less technophilic lives than your good self, don't realize a std desktop keyboard can be connected to a notebook computer via usb or ps2.

Glad such a small thing could amuse your .... mind Stran and make your day.

It's not the external keyboard that made me laugh, it's the suggestion that </div> problem might be fixed by swapping keyboards.

No, I didn't, so it is presumably something to do with how my computer is configured. Thanks, WW, for your "somewhat obvious but nonetheless overlooked" suggestion. ;)

But I still don't really know what I'm looking for on my computer. Perhaps some short-cut has been reconfigured or something? Any ideas? :confused:

OzP, have you tried using an external keyboard with your computer/laptop?

Before you try that:

- make sure all the lights on your regular keyboard appear normal....i.e. numlock, scroll lock, and any others are turned off.

- clear your browser cache and reboot the puter.

BTW, troubleshooting computers is always a logical sequence of obvious but overlooked steps.

The </div> is a HTML tag which your browser might be inserting into the text box when you hit submit.

The best bet might be to start by going into your browser's settings (Tools/Options on Firefox or Tools/Internet Options on Internet Explorer) and clearing the various caches and cookies (Clear Cache/Delete Files/Clear Cookies or similar buttons)

If there's a chance that you might have more than one web browser on your computer (IE, Safari, Firefox, Opera, etc) try using a different browser on the same computer to narrow it down.

Next step might be to upgrade your web browser, either through Windows Update for IE or through Help/Check for updates on Firefox. An older browser might be the issue.

Cleared cookie 1.... (doing them 1 at a time to be systematic and provide specific feedback about a possible bug)
</div>

Eureka!

Mods, this appears to be an issue related to the cookie "vbulletin_multiquote". I am using Firefox 3.0.1 on Windows NT 5.0.1.
</div>

OK, just cleared all cookies (ie for other sites as well as Somersoft) - don't know why it would work, but anyway...

Let's see if I can get two in a row - if this works, obviously something to do with Firefox 3. And when I think back, I suspect I did upgrade to FF3 (from FF2) about the same time that this started happening.

Anybody else using FF3?

OK, I've just used the Firefox live chat support, and they resolved it with their first question. :eek: Though I didn't ask if this was a known bug, I have identified that the problem was resolved by changing my forum options from "enhanced interface" to "standard editor" in my options.

So Firefox 3 and "enhanced interface" appear to be a bad mix.

Thank you all for your suggestions. :)

Back