Inspections on friends

I have rented out my old ppr to relatives of the next door neighbour. They have been there about 3 years. I originally did a couple of inspections, but they are in love with place (wanted to buy it after 6mths) have treated it really well in the past (he does handyman work on it if required) and the couple of original inspections I did they had the place beautiful. I havent done an inspection for the past year (and am loath to invade their privacy, but would do so if I thought it was required) Anyway... my question is, having kept it clean, put in their lovely furniture, done handyman stuff if required, in other words, treated it as theirs..... do you think I need to do an inspection at least once a year, or do you think they wont change their spots and will continue to treat it as their ppr? I am going interstate for a year and am wondering whether to do an inspection before I go.

You could always do an inspection with the excuse of "checking for any maintenance/upkeep issues before you go out of town for a while". That way it would seem more like you are being friendly and helpful rather than intrusive.

Just an idea.

Soren

I agree with Soren's idea. I self-manage my IP's and have 'immaculate' tenants but I still get at least one inspection done per year (I employ a property manager to do just the inspections for me because to me it feels less intrusive and I'm not keen on doing it myself anyway). Regardless of how clean & tidy the tenants are the routine inspections are great for picking up any maintenance issues that otherwise you may not have been told about.

Yes, still get an inspection. There are times when even good tenants turn bad. It is your investment & you have a considerable amount at risk. We have an IP with long term tenants. They are great. They have painted it, done basic repairs & have even done some improvements. They treat it as their own. They are by far the best tenants we have had. We still get inspections done & they still get rent increases.

I think you should do it. I don't imagine they would be at all upset - esp with you going away for a while.

It is also good to remind them that this is principally a business relationship rather than a favour to a friend sort of thing. So formalise it with a letter and send them one afterwards thanking them for being such lovely tenants and looking after your place so well - some landlords might include a token of goodwill such as a bottle of wine or a couple of movie tix.

We worry too much about what other people might think when in reality they usually think very little.

Just do it :)

certainly wasnt worried about offending them, I am just running out of time and wondered if this was one thing I didnt need to worry about. I wont be telling them I am leaving the state either. I probably will get around to doing an inspection, how many days notice do I have to give?

I'll risk it.... and say I wouldn't both with an inspection. They aren't likely to "change their spots".

We actually have never done an inspection. I would hate somebody nosing around my home, so I will not do it to my tenants. Believe me, if I am at all concerned, there are plenty of ways of getting a peek inside. Calling round to collect overdue rent being just one. Plumbing issues are another where I have to come around with the plumber etc.

If you aren't worried, and you haven't really got time, go with your gut instinct.

Good tenants should know that the rental isn't thier home. A yearly inspection will remind them of their place.

Having said that never rent to friends. Ever. It always ends in tears.

I was actually thinking going away might be a good excuse to get someone else to do it for you, if that would be more comfortable.

I would do an inspection.

It is not necessarily to check up on the tenants, but an annual inspection keeps you informed of any upcoming maintenance that may be necessary so that you can budget for it. And often problems arise that the tenant may not necessarily tell you about, but by inspecting you can do preventative measures.
Marg

One of the other threads was discussion about the obligation of LL's to check the smoke detectors and change the batteries at least yearly. I got the impression it was required by law. I think I'd get someone in to do an inspection and check the alarms at the same time.

Back