installing a freestanding stove without electrician?

Hi all,

Is it a requirement to have a licensed electrician to install a freestanding stove & oven?

Thinking of just getting a second hand unit off gumtree and a handyman to replace it...is this legal? Will it affect insurances etc?

Alternatively I can buy a new unit from bunnings (for warranty) and again just get handyman to do it and not pay extortion sparky fees?

Property is in Logan Brisbane

Many Thanks

Simon

Last edited:
I am a sparky. It is illegal to do it if you are not licensed to do so..this includes handyman. Voids warranty also if you purchase with a warranty...also voids buildings insurance if the place burns down due to electrical fault.

Just spend the money..its tax deductible, and provides you good peace of mind knowing everything is above board and not done on the cheap. Money well spent.

I am a sparky. It is illegal to do it if you are not licensed to do so..this includes handyman. Voids warranty also if you purchase with a warranty...also voids buildings insurance if the place burns down due to electrical fault.

Just spend the money..its tax deductible, and provides you good peace of mind knowing everything is above board and not done on the cheap. Money well spent.

Normally i don't sweat the small stuff but currently going through a rough patch with several properties all requiring major item replacements/fixes at the same time....peace of mind is coming from saving money at the moment lol

yep all electrical unit....guess I'll just have to get it done and forget about it!

Thanks

Simon

Normally i don't sweat the small stuff but currently going through a rough patch with several properties all requiring major item replacements/fixes at the same time....peace of mind is coming from saving money at the moment lol

yep all electrical unit....guess I'll just have to get it done and forget about it!

Thanks

Simon

The thing is Simon

Not all handymen are created equal

If they don't earth the stove properly you could have a situation where the whole unit becomes live. Your tennant go's to boil their spaghetti and next thing you know your in the coroners court

I agree its nice to save money but you have to pick the right tasks

Thanks

Simon

Can you use your LOC or existing equity to cover the costs?
Thats all I do.... all expenses I pay from my investment loc.

How about buying a newish second hand stove instead?

A landlord of mine just did this, 2yo oven cost about $150 (I think) and installed for about that again. So $300 or so all up.

Don't cut corners when it comes to safety, it's not worth saving a couple of $$.

We have a great sparkie who is quick and another who did the last renovation we did, who is just starting his own business after working as a sparkie for someone else.

He also is good, and good price.

Send me a PM if you don't have a sparkie.

Can you use your LOC or existing equity to cover the costs?
Thats all I do.... all expenses I pay from my investment loc.

Don't like LOC's - too expensive....Actually considering doing a top up to fund maintenance (weird for me as I've only ever topped up in large chunks to fund purchases)....at the moment im just using whats in my offset which is a blurred mix of equity and personal cash.....i guess ive been doing the same thing :p

So just to clarify - its fine legally and with insurance to get a second hand stove/oven unit installed as long as its done by a licensed sparky?

Do not take this as advice or a suggestion to do it and I would never attempt to wire a house, but if you are replacing an existing unit with pretty much the same , its 3 wires going back into the same spot using the same hard wired wiring that is already going into the stove.

I did my own stove here at home several years ago, but then I know how to turn power off and pull a fuse (just to be sure) and I can use a screwdriver, recognise different colour and count to 3 as well. ;)

As others said, if something was to go wrong you could be in trouble but really, its not rocket science, everything is numbered and colour coded.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=quG9_4rX0NA

Don't like LOC's - too expensive...snip

So just to clarify - its fine legally and with insurance to get a second hand stove/oven unit installed as long as its done by a licensed sparky?

LOC's are pretty well on par to +0.10% with most other IP loans..

Yes, as long as you used a licensed sparky.

Personally I like to have the warranty.

It can be worth while to check places like a renovators auction house or a place that sells seconds- our local Hardly Normal has an area selling slightly damaged seconds.

If you get one from bunnings have the sparky replace the plate the wires are screwed into. We had our free standing oven catch on fire because the wiring got to hot. Lucky the tenants were home and didnt duck down the street. Cost about $50 extra from memory.

we have all our electric stoves wired to hi-current plugs
Then it is legal for me to unplug and plug in a new one
a $0 cost option at stove purchase,
part of our rep&reno when we buy the property

the same fitting as, commercial ovens - cappucino machines - commercial dishwashers - forklift chargers - welders - caravan parks, use

you can plug a 10a plug in a 20a socket
you can't plug a 20a plug in a 10a socket

Just use a sparkie. Sure, this stuff is easy enough to do for someone with the knowledge and ability, but doing it yourself is illegal and puts at risk everything you own should something go wrong. Insurance company would disown you and you would be personally sued and lose everything. You could also end up wearing orange and associating with people you would rather avoid. Why take that risk?

If a fire/electrocution happened, do you need to prove that you had an electrician install the oven? If you're fortunate to purchase an oven that lasts for ages (my mum just replaced hers after at least 17 years) it could be tricky to find the electrician's receipt come claim time :confused:

Back