insulating a garage door.

Anyone here insulated a garage door before? Any hints tips, tricks, things I should be aware of?
We use the garage as an extra room, have carpet squares down, insulation in the roof, ducted heating. We thought about putting glass doors on, but would rather something we don't have to convert back. But need to seal the cold air out. Proper Insulated garage doors are out of our budget at the moment, but we can get a proper seal for around the door installed, and are thinking of buying some insulation and packing the back of the garage door (panel lift) while still leaving it functional.

Rugrat, ...... You could build a stud wall to sit inside the garage door frame and pack it with insulation and Gyprock. If you want to convert it back to a garage at a later date then it's easy to dismantle. This would be a cheap solution and give good soundproofing and insulation.

Mystery

I've insulated a garage door to use as a workshop by using Foilboard (http://www.foilboard.com.au/)

Stuck to the inside of the steel panels with building advesive, easy and cheap to do and didn't add too much weight to the door.

I ordered the Foilboard through Bunnings.

Although it worked well I would go for Mystery's solution for anything more than a 'Man Cave'.

I glued 1 inch thick foam board to the inside of the panels, cut to size, R16 rating,
door motor still lifts it, panels weigh bugger all
coffee cups are 2mm thick, boiling water no problem
works here in the frozen wasteland,
should work equally well in the slightly less frozen, but still wasteland, that is the ACT

We considered a wall, but we still want to be able to have access through the garage door.
It's mostly my quilting room, and also acts as a space for the kids to play during winter when it's too wet and cold to actually go outside. But we still have things like the BBQ, lawnmower and bikes stored in there as well.

Lateral thinking required then :)

How about a beam across the top to hang 2 or 3 doonas from, you could try the op shops for doonas or old blankets.

If they stretch from wall to wall and floor to ceiling they should act like heavy drapes which are very effective on windows.

You could part them when access is required in winter and remove them in summer.

Back