Insulation scam

I have a unit in Syd, got a call from P (on exec like me). At the Jan 2010 AGM P offered to get quotes for ceiling insulation. He's on top floor, would make is unit more comfortable. Seemed good idea.

When the 3rd mob climbed up they reported the insulation had been installed! But we hadn't authorised anyone to do the work!

Seemed v v odd!

Then I learned others had been stung in this sort of fraud. Apparently installers will claim money back from the govt, obviously way in excess of the cost of doing the job............ and we don't know who did it and if it was done properly.... other 2 quotes is at least a place to start.

Household is supposed to get a letter from govt stating insulation had been installed by whom etc. But in our case the installers could just use bogus address so they can intercept paperwk.

I'm going to file complaint with Dept of Fair Trading

Anyone else had this happen? Any tips on how you followed it through?

Unless you're on the top floor too dont worry about it. Insulation has zero affect on those below the top floor (your insulation is the floor's above ceiling)

If the others on the top floor dont care, why should you?

Being strata, pick your fights carefully.

Some one must know who put the insulation in unless they lifted roofing materials to gain access, failing that they went in through the man hole in the townhouse which I'm sure the owner of the townhouse would have spoken to them.

As for paperwork the installer is supposed to get the owner to sign that its been installed and they are satisfied with the work (how would the owner know if it done properly gezzzzz).

As an installer I got the owner to sign a contract for the stated amount of my quote and at the completion the owner would get a copy of the quote, contact, form from government and brochure on the insulation I had installed.

As for getting paid supposed to be two week turn around this got a bit confused with 2 months with my last payment being just on 4 months and many emails and phone calls as they had stopped the program.

It just a shame all installers it seems have been dumped in the same barrell with the bad apples. When it starts up again it will not be worth my time for the $ return with all the BS and paperwork involved etc etc.

Maybe its worth getting the roof inspected just to be safe.

Just my 2cents worth
Brian

So Wish-ga, as I understand it, you all agreed that it was a good idea to get insulation put in and now the insulation has been put in. Sure you don't know who actually put it in, but if it's there it seems like a good result to me.

You're right Brian, there are plenty of good installers out there. The guys who did mine insisted on coming out to check the roof first. The head guy advised me on what was the best solution. The installers were very particular - insisted on showing me the end result - and they cleaned up pretty well after themselves. And my house stayed cooler this summer.

Scott

Thanks to everyone.

Just to be clear;
neK I know the insulation will benefit those on the top floor only. And I am happy for there to be insulation to make them more comfortable. I'm not picking a battle with anyone in the units, we are united in wanting to know who has done unauthorises (possibly fraudulent) work in our block without exec committee permission. Not sure what you mean by "if the people on the top floor don't care", they do care, they called me.

BV It was not installed before the scheme. There was two quotes we got where there was no insulation up there. Somewhere between quote 2 and 3 it was installed. A starting point for the dept of fair trading.

Brian, I'm sorry that there are unscrupulous people out there giving you a bad name. You are right, we have to see if it was done safely - someone else from the block is arranging.

Exec has asked around, can not find anyone who saw the installers. It is possible that somone (tenant?/owner?) signed for it. If that is the case the installers supplying a copy of the paper work will sort it out.

:eek:

Oh my! Handy Andy, I just read your post. What cowboys. Nay, thugs!

See! That is exactly what could have happened at my block, they could just say "bc asked us to do this" and tenants wouldn't know the difference.

And you said it more succinctly than I did:
"No doubt if the Gov examined the paperwork for these building they would find that the people signing the agreement to insulate do not actually reside on the premises."

Did you hear from the police. What scammers!

Thanks to everyone.

Just to be clear;
neK I know the insulation will benefit those on the top floor only. And I am happy for there to be insulation to make them more comfortable. I'm not picking a battle with anyone in the units, we are united in wanting to know who has done unauthorises (possibly fraudulent) work in our block without exec committee permission. Not sure what you mean by "if the people on the top floor don't care", they do care, they called me.

BV It was not installed before the scheme. There was two quotes we got where there was no insulation up there. Somewhere between quote 2 and 3 it was installed. A starting point for the dept of fair trading.

Brian, I'm sorry that there are unscrupulous people out there giving you a bad name. You are right, we have to see if it was done safely - someone else from the block is arranging.

Exec has asked around, can not find anyone who saw the installers. It is possible that somone (tenant?/owner?) signed for it. If that is the case the installers supplying a copy of the paper work will sort it out.

How you going to find out who the installers were ?

Are you certain there was no insulation already installed?
Quoters 1 and 2 may have seen it was already there, but it was obvious to them that whoever requested the quote didn't know, allowing them to pretend they installed in and get paid..
Quoter no. 3 may have just been the first honest guy to visit.

Sorry, i misunderstood you. I though you meant one of the owners who lived up on the top floor got it installed without authorisation (ie they installed it and took the money etc).

If everyone is wanting to know what happened, by all means investigate, but it sounds to me the installation was already up there which means you guys arent actually eligible for the rebate.

One of my strata management companies have drafted up a new procedure to cover the insulation issue.

Another one has sent a letter to all owners saying if they authorized instillation they are responsible for having it checked to ensure it conforms to standards.
The roof space is common property and not owned by the person on the top floor. Owners have no right to approve insulation without contacting body corp.

I'd think one of the owners authorised it.

I asked the strata mgrs to check if other owners signed for it. If they did we will get a letter to say who carried out the works. Then we can ask for paperwork from company and see from the signature who authorised it. If it was authorised then no problem. (although it should be a decision through the owners corporation)

Thanks for your input all.

*waves to petal* Thanks for the welcome :)

As advised by the Dept of Fair Trading NSW I called the insulation hotline. Officially their 151,133rd call logged!. I will hear from them in a few days.

Hello Petal *waves*, thanks for your greeting

Update: reported on the radio yesterday - 50% of claims received for the insulation scheme have been paid out by the government because it is thought that they fraudulent claims.

Back