Insulation

Hi all
I just wanted to share the information i just recieved from my insulator that the landlords rebate has of today been changed to $1600 the same as the owner grant.
Sorry if you already knew i just wanted to let you know incase you hadnt heard :) it just saved me $600

Thanks froggy. There is already a thread or two, but thanks for posting anyway, because if you don't post, we might miss some good info.

I got a quote for $1160 for one IP, and they called a week ago and said they made a mistake and it will now be $980. I am wondering if it might go back up now :rolleyes:.

I just don't know whether this crowd is any good, after reading the story about dodgy installers in the weekend paper. I don't know if you saw the article, but it said some installers are throwing the stuff into the roof but not bothering to spread it around, or just delivering it to the address and getting the householder to sign for having it, and then not bothering to install it.

I was advised to check the gov website out to see if my quote is from a registered installer, which I will do, and also see how long they have been installing. I don't want a company that only started up yesterday to catch the grants and who don't give a rats about the quality of the work.

If you are in Brisbane, would you mind saying who is your installer? If the job is done already, or soon to be done, I would love to hear about the quality.

Thanks.

I am getting it installed in our rental in Wodonga Victoria so I am hoping that because it is a smaller place than Brisbane that it will be done properly. The company I am using is an insulation business that has been there for a while so I do feel confident it will be done ok.
I am glad others have posted it as well because any savings are better of in your pocket than someone elses !

:)

HI,
I have emailed all the owners of the Properties that l manage to imform them of this news, and also sent quotes out for the properties to have insulation installed.
Just also check that the contractors fitting it leave a certain space between downlights and exhuast fans as this can cause a fire hazard, and that they also remove any plastic bags as this can also cause a hazzard.
But its great news, for landlords and homeowners!!
:)

This is a daft question I'm sure.

I wouldn't have a clue if our 2 IP's are insulated and without asking the tenant or the PM to hop up the manhole and have a look I'm not sure how I'm going to find out.

Can I get an insulation company to check them out to see if a) there is any insulation or b) if the insulation is sufficient?

Or would that just be too cheeky?

Our PPOR is insulated with the old paper blow in stuff which Mr Minx tells me is quite degraded and in some places missing (?) - an insulation mob would be able to tell me if it's suitable for re-insulating and would qualify under the rebate scheme BUT I'd be mortified to get them out to quote on 3 properties and find that none qualify / need insulation.

What to do? Or do you think insulation companies would be used to such idiocy?

Minx, do it!!

I would have no drama rocking out and having a look!! at worst it only takes 20-30 minutes to do a measure and quote on a standard home .

15 seconds should be all it takes to work out if you don't qualify - best to check it out than find later on you've missed out.:D

Minx, do it!!

I would have no drama rocking out and having a look!! at worst it only takes 20-30 minutes to do a measure and quote on a standard home .

15 seconds should be all it takes to work out if you don't qualify - best to check it out than find later on you've missed out.:D

Pity you are not a little closer!!

Thanks for that. I'll send an email to our PM and get her to organise quotes and I'll get her to give me her contractor's name to get him out to look at this place.

We never seem to qualify for anything, so I don't want to miss the chance to get some of our tax dollars back!

Hi Urban Cowboy.

Do you (your company) service all parts of Brisbane? Re the insulation side of things that is ;):D.

Are you giving quotes and doing the insulation yourself?

Regards
Marty

Hi Marty,

I can arrange quotes for all over South East Queensland. I can service all your needs!:p send me a message if i can help you or you have any questions.

Aussie Home Insulation (AHI) have the contract to do our installs - they are a well established company with its headquarters in Perth.

at 6'4" and 110kg, i am too big and heavy to be in the roof doing installs for any length of time!:D

The other thing to note for anyone looking at this stuff is to make sure you get either pink batts or bradford gold batts. A lot of the pumped in "fluff" doesn't get anywhere near the efficiency requirements of the scheme. Some of the pumped in stuff can also be a fire hazard if not laid properly.

cheers
UC:)

Thanks UC.

My PM is looking into things at moment. If she can't get any satisfaction, may give your details to her ( which I will get off you).

Regards
Marty

The other thing to note for anyone looking at this stuff is to make sure you get either pink batts or bradford gold batts. A lot of the pumped in "fluff" doesn't get anywhere near the efficiency requirements of the scheme. Some of the pumped in stuff can also be a fire hazard if not laid properly.

cheers
UC:)

Personally I am going for polyester bats like 'green stuff' as I am highly allergic to the glass based bats. Even though I don't make a habit of going into roofs if I have to I don't want to have to rug up.

With the polyester product they can now do about 95 sqm under the gov scheme.

I am bringing my purchasing power to the fore;) and have been able to convince my installer that he can install all properties (18) with polyester. One of the reason he is coming to the party is that a number of the properties are multiples ie one ceiling multiple properties at ones. The properties do range in size from 45sqm up to 200 sqm.

Cheers

Are there standards applicable to the installation of Insulation?

My concern would be regarding proximity to downlights, heater flues etc.

Also I'm not an electrician, but my sparky tells me that you can draw a higher current fron 2.5 mmsq cable if it is not contained in thermal insulation, than if it is.

I see a situation where a sparky installs to the standard and then it's altered by others, changing the rating.

Any sparkies thoughts? :)

Personally I am going for polyester bats like 'green stuff' as I am highly allergic to the glass based bats. Even though I don't make a habit of going into roofs if I have to I don't want to have to rug up.

With the polyester product they can now do about 95 sqm under the gov scheme.

I am bringing my purchasing power to the fore;) and have been able to convince my installer that he can install all properties (18) with polyester. One of the reason he is coming to the party is that a number of the properties are multiples ie one ceiling multiple properties at ones. The properties do range in size from 45sqm up to 200 sqm.

Cheers

at least you're going for batts over the pumped-in garbage - a lot of misinformation out there about that...i won't touch the stuff!!:mad:

there is only about 85-90c/sqm difference in the price between poly batts and the cheaper glass ones - which does add up over a larger property.

you should be able to get more than 95sqm done though with poly...should be closer to 120sqm with a stock standard install - a little less if the labour charge is higher due to very low pitch roof or difficult entry etc.

Last edited:
Well I have spent a fair chunk of Govn money, getting some back for a change;):D

So far they have insulated 14 properties at a charge to the Government of approx $21k with another 4 to go.

Most of that charge is purely a profit margin to the installers. The actual cost for the material at retail for a 95m install is about $800. The charge including installation is $1550 paid for by you and me.

Cheers

that is really cheap for the material on that sqm'age...

the labour is EXHORBITANT!!!

good to see them making the most out of the kickbacks:rolleyes:

Back