Insurance for SMSF residential property

Less than a week out from settlement on SMSF residential property the bank has asked for proof of insurance showing them as mortgagors. I have no problem with this but don't know where to get it! Trawling through insurance websites doesn't seem to bring up much for this kind of insurance. Can anyone tell me where to go to get it? I live in Sydney(property also in Sydney).

Hi

If its a strata title property your solicitor/conveyancer should be able to provide evidence of the body corporate policy covering the building.

Less than a week out from settlement on SMSF residential property the bank has asked for proof of insurance showing them as mortgagors. I have no problem with this but don't know where to get it! Trawling through insurance websites doesn't seem to bring up much for this kind of insurance. Can anyone tell me where to go to get it? I live in Sydney(property also in Sydney).

As stated it is simply normal landlord insurance, what makes you think that what you are seeing on websites is not relevant?

I have a property purchased through my SMSF myself, it's a townhouse, and I have simply used one of our products (RentCoverUltra) for it. I'm guessing though this may be a house requiring building insurance? (In that case I would have used RentCoverPlatinum), but other company products would suit as well I'm sure.

Just make sure the insured name is the entity that actually owns the property rather than simply yourself, and as suggested make sure the mortgagee is noted on the policy. Any problems though feel free to let me know.

If you have another property call your existing insurance company as you may be able to get a discount. Just make sure that the property insurance in the SMSF is in the same name of the SMSF trust or SMSF company name and not the SMSF fund name.

Back