Insurance issue with share accommodation

I find that it is difficult to get an insurance when you are in a scenario where you are providing share accomodation to other people. For example you have a residetial home, and you wanting to rent out a couple of the rooms, it is very difficult to get public liability insurance for this.

So my question is instead of getting the insurance which can be costly if there is one, can we instead have the person whom move into the room to sign a contract that they render their right to claim for public liability if they have a personal injury?

EG a liability clause that looks something like the below:

Liability

By entering into this XXX property you acknowledges and agrees that the accomodation provider of XXX property shall have no responsibility and will not be held liable for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, whether direct, indirect, special or consequential whilst you are at XXX property.

I find that it is difficult to get an insurance when you are in a scenario where you are providing share accomodation to other people. For example you have a residetial home, and you wanting to rent out a couple of the rooms, it is very difficult to get public liability insurance for this.

So my question is instead of getting the insurance which can be costly if there is one, can we instead have the person whom move into the room to sign a contract that they render their right to claim for public liability if they have a personal injury?

EG a liability clause that looks something like the below:

Liability

By entering into this XXX property you acknowledges and agrees that the accomodation provider of XXX property shall have no responsibility and will not be held liable for any personal injury, or any loss or damage (including loss of opportunity), property damage, or other loss, accident, delay, inconvenience, whether direct, indirect, special or consequential whilst you are at XXX property.

you'd probably be talking about negligence and my fuzzy memory of negligence from uni days is that you can't contract it away in that sense. it might scare off someone from suing but may not provide you any real protection.

No proper insurance you'll get yourself into all kinds of troubles, not the least the lender may call in the loan as proper insurance is not maintained.

Last edited:
Back