interest on 10% deposit

I am going to pay 10% deposit on my OTP unit, it?s in NSW. The contract have the following conditions:
- The deposit vests in the vendor must be invested in trust by the Vendor's Solicitors pending settlement
- The vendor's solicitor may invest the deposit with a bank in trust for the vendor. All interest earned on the investment of the deposit shall belong to the vendor

I am in the process of exchanging contract now, is it worth to ask my solicitor to negotiate for the share of the interest, let says 50% go to purchaser(me)? I have read some posts regarding to the same issue, but they all in QLD. In my situation, the 10% deposit is around $35k, the completion date of the OTP will be late 2015. How much interest can I have in my situation? If it?s a big amount, I may give it a go.

. In my situation, the 10% deposit is around $35k, the completion date of the OTP will be late 2015. How much interest can I have in my situation? If it?s a big amount, I may give it a go.

$35k deposit x 5% interest = $1750 x 2 years = $3500 x 50% share for you = $1750 :p

I used bank guarantee from CBA with locked deposit at 5.8% back then - the % yield after tax is about on par with my net IP rental lol.

But current the interest rate might not be sufficient, e.g.
$35,000 x 4.2% x 2 years = $2940
5 years locked deposit as bank want to make sure they have something to hold...

After tax (just assume 32.5%) = $1984

Setup fee for the bank = One of fee $250 and $263 yearly fee x 2 years = $775

Net on your hand: $1,209 using guarantee

Back