Interest overcharged?

I have a few loan accounts with NAB, one of which is $100k with a $0 balance in the offset account for the full Dec 2014 month. Let's assume interest rate I am on is 5%, what amount should I expect to pay for interest taken out of my savings account? I thought the amount should be very close to:
100000 x 0.05 / 365 * 31 = $424

Or more accurately for daily compounding:
100000 x [1+(0.05/365)]^31 - 100000 = 425.5

I was charged 450* instead today, which seems strange. The only explanation I have is I was charged for 33 days of interest, which will bring us close to 450, but why is it 33 days?

Give your lender a buzz. They'll probably be able to explain or rectify :)

Without out the actual numbers it's not so easy to try and work it out.

FYI, a while back I took out a loan and for reasons unknown to me, my first monthly repayment happened about 6 weeks in (which not only meant it was notably bigger, but it moved that interest repayment into a new financial year which was a minor bummer).

I have a few loan accounts with NAB, one of which is $100k with a $0 balance in the offset account for the full Dec 2014 month. Let's assume interest rate I am on is 5%, what amount should I expect to pay for interest taken out of my savings account? I thought the amount should be very close to:
100000 x 0.05 / 365 * 31 = $424

Or more accurately for daily compounding:
100000 x [1+(0.05/365)]^31 - 100000 = 425.5

I was charged 450* instead today, which seems strange. The only explanation I have is I was charged for 33 days of interest, which will bring us close to 450, but why is it 33 days?

Interest is generally compounded daily but added once per month

It could be that the interest was accrued to the first business day after the end of the month or something similar to taking it to 33 days??

5k per annum of interest /365 days

$13.7 per day x 30.4 days per month avg = ~416.70 per month by me.

Since interest is calculated daily and added monthly each monthly payment should be different depending on how much days in the month.

Nab charge interest on my loans on the last business day of the month. Therefore some periods are more than 31 days - check your account to see when the last charge was made.

Yes, as the original poster noted in the original post with their calculation.

Nevertheless, its still doesnt add up.

pinkboy

Seems right to me. Last business day of November was Fri 28 Nov. Last business day of December was Wed 31 Dec - 33 days later.

Thanks everyone. Will catch up with NAB to confirm it. 33 days interest does make sense (Nov interest was lower). However Aug-Oct didn't make sense so nice exercise to go through with the banker anyway.

Interesting that it is done to a business day rather than the full month considering computers don't need holidays :)

Don't forget to include any admin fee (usually $10) which only shows up separately on your loan statement, not taken out separately ...

Back