interest rates at 10% in two years

Australia put rates up when it was crumbling everywhere else. We're playing catch up. US had higher rates than us then, I think. Look back to the threads in 2008. Specifically April/May

KY, US Fed rates have practically been zero for a number of years now. Are you comparing the US mortgage rate (which is based on the 30 year rate) and the Australian RBA rate (overnight)? You can't possibly compare the two directly, since you're ignoring the whole of the yield curve.

one of my loans is at 10% already, I guess it will be 12 - 14% when the majors hit 10? am selling the property tho, just doesn't stack up at these sorts of rates

Hi Alex,
Which is why i can't see RBA going up to 10% in the next heartbeat. Unless something drastic happens to US & UK [from 0.5% there's a long waY to go]

Like Ausprop, I have a loan @ 10.5% I thought [foolishly perhaps] that I could do better & make some profit. 1st year OK, 2nd year looking more dicey. But hey, AllOrds passed 5000 today.

And folks, guess what? I went looking again yesterday & there's no let up in Adelaide.

Au contraire, there's a fair amount of investor interest. I've noted a few properties of the crap variety that make sense to buy!

And a couple in the 400K that even look as if there's cap gain in them.

Interesting, to say the least. Now, who has the guts to borrow?

KY

If IRs reach 10% it'll be because of inflation risk which comes about from a strong economy. If the economy is going so well that it allows for 10% IRs, what's the worry?

Interesting, to say the least. Now, who has the guts to borrow?

KY

I would be if I wasn't on lowdoc KY! :rolleyes:

But KY, as for the 10% rates, remember they're not talking a 10% RBA cash rate, they're talking about 10% rates for borrowers in reality after the banks margins. Bit of a difference.

Maybe a second-dip recession in the USA will scare the RBA into lowering rates again?

I don't believe the rates will rise to 10%, the rest of the world is being propped by government deficit spending which is replacing real GDP. At some point that stimulus around the world will stop.

And inflation will kick in as a result of all that money printing, pushing interest rates up all over the world. The higher interest rates are worldwide, the more expensive money becomes for local banks in Australia. Not only will you have to deal with higher interest payments, you have to deal with tighter lending standards too.

10% on a 100k loan is serviceable. 10% on a 350k loan is a different kettle of fish. If affordability is a problem many people already have, what do you think 10% interest rates are going to do?

Here, look at the impact rising interest rates had on the FHB's, and this was back in January already!

ALMOST half of first-home buyers lured into the market by the Rudd Government's $14,000 grant are struggling to meet their mortgage repayments and many are already in arrears on their loans.

Thousands of young home buyers are using credit cards or other loans to meet obligations, while those in "severe stress" are missing payments.

Just weeks after the grant was withdrawn, a survey of more than 26,000 borrowers conducted by Fujitsu Consulting has found 45 per cent of first-home owners who entered the market during the past 18 months are experiencing "mortgage stress" or "severe mortgage stress".

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/...erest-rates-rise/story-e6freoof-1225825030812

As for wages going up to cover those rising interest rates? Nothing drives inflation like wages. And nothing drives interest rates like inflation. Rapidly rising wages means higher interest rates.

While there is no certainty that we would see double digit interest rates, thinking Australia exists in some economic vacuum is a tad naieve on some peoples part

Hi Alex, I got it wrong. But the differential between AUD/USD was never very wide, until the GFC.

The last time our rates were lower than US would have been around 2001-2003?

KY

Hi Steve & Deano, I understand.

The basic home loan rate is still only around 6. something - mine's 6.23 at the moment. There's another 4% to go. We're talking about a DOUBLING of interest rates at base.

And precisely Deano, Australia doesn't exist in a vacuum.

If other countries don't double the borrowing rates, why would Australia do so?

The 10% rates are for business loans, it happens to be a private loan.

KY

Hi Steve & Deano, I understand.

The basic home loan rate is still only around 6. something - mine's 6.23 at the moment. There's another 4% to go. We're talking about a DOUBLING of interest rates at base.

And precisely Deano, Australia doesn't exist in a vacuum.

If other countries don't double the borrowing rates, why would Australia do so?

The 10% rates are for business loans, it happens to be a private loan.

KY

WHats to say they are not going to? It would be the CASH RATE. Already our rates are higher than most developed countries. Our interest rates are not tied to foreign interest rates. They are tied to the performance of our local economy!

Government spending around the world has been nothing short of massive. The amount of money thrown into stimulus alone means that the printers are running hot. Plus you have all the problems with the Euro and Greece, Portugal, Spain, Ireland, Iceland and now Latvia. Even Dubai was in trouble. There are more bailouts coming.

First we had private debt explode. And that has not settled yet by any means when you look at how many people are still defaulting in the USA. Commercial property is the next big wave to hit their banks.

Now we have a huge problem with SOVEREIGN DEBT. When governments dont have money, its up to the tax payers to sort things out. Not only that, but they have to increase interest rates to reduce inflation. Inflation it has created by flooding the world markets and banks with money.

Interest rates have very little to do with housing. People obsessed with housing will see interest rates as a something aimed specifically at that. At the end of the day, interest rates are used to control MONEY SUPPLY and in effect INFLATION. Housing is just caught in the tidal wave.

Interest rates are going to go up all over the world simply because of the amount of money that is being circulated now. So you will higher taxes, higher interest rates and reduced buying power for a while. The GFC was the start of something bigger, it was never the main event.

Good post DC but I wonder if with all that government debt the gov'ts wouldn't mind a little inflation to help pay it off for them.

The 10 year fixed rate at CBA is ~8.5%

Would only take 1.5% rise to get it to 10% - if the rba raised .25% at every second meeting we'd still be there in about a year.

Now realistically who pays the 10 year fixed rate? But why let details like that get in the way of a good headline

Yes. Was just pointing out that some headline rates are already quite high, so if you were the sort of person that wanted to push peoples buttons to sell newspapers you could swing it pretty easily.

I don't "believe" rates will get over 10% this cycle either. But neither do I think it's impossible. I didn't believe they would be 9.25% or whatever in late 2008. What I've learned is not to back myself nor any other soothsayer on IR "beliefs." Sure, act on your calculated guess - but it's important to have a back-up strategy if you guess wrong.

This is absolutely without a doubt the top post in this thread.

Well done Ms Jade.

then you're aware that the RBA raising rates by 1.5% doesn't mean the 10 year fixed will also go up by 1.5%?

Yes. Especially if its fixed :p Hehe, I realise there is not a one-to-one correspondence between changes in the short term rate and longer term rates. It was just an (admittedly contrived) example because in discussions about interest rates you can't assume everyone is paying variable with a discount. Did not mean to create confusion.

Last edited:
Good post DC but I wonder if with all that government debt the gov'ts wouldn't mind a little inflation to help pay it off for them.

When debt problems become a real problem, whats the easiest way to fix them????
default.
now there is default by bankrupcy, and there is another way: default by stealth.
how do you default by stealth: you let inflation eat away at the debts.

http://www.cnbc.com/id/36410279

i highlight the following comment:
In the interview, Strauss-Kahn also addressed how the wider euro zone could retain social security programmes while handling expanded state debt, suggesting pension benefits must be trimmed and higher inflation targets may be an option.

Ha? but i thought there was minimal inflation????? well maybe we had better create some then!!!!!

this is not a new game strategy for the world, we have been down this exact past before, its just the current generation werent around to see it.

Life and asset classes move in cycles

If true it just means the Financially "Smart" will get richer and the "Not so Financially Smart" will get poorer. ;)

Im planning to be in the first group. :D

Cheers

Mick

Back