interesting building evolvement

a couple of interesting concepts here:

http://www.impressions.net.au/dream-living-series/2getherness.html

wouldn't have thought you would be allowed to build this but I assume they are promoting this range for a reason? presumably you could also have a granny flat and then triple rent the property

http://www.summitnewhomes.com.au/altitude-series

prefab 2nd storeys... I know it has been done a little before but this seems a pretty slick run at it

The Impressions one is merely a house with 2 kitchens this is totally allowed. And yes you could add a GF to it if you wanted.

The Summit/Prefab idea is getting more and more common - I like the idea. This is the way that 101 Residential build all their homes. There are a few mobs that do it but I can't remember their name.

I have it available as a concept via my builder as well. You just design to modules/rectangles/cubes and they get plopped on :)

Silly WA people and their double brick, eastern states went to brick veneer 50 years ago ;-)

Ah but it's not just brick veneer :) We do have that as well - don't tell the double brick nazis! This is a modular second storey that is built off site and craned on.

could you have 2 x laundries? otherwise just whack a washing machine in the kitchen after it's all signed off I suppose

I wouldn't see the point of 2 laundries as a laundry is a waste of space for a one bedder but yes you could design the bathroom or the kitchen to take a washing machine.

a couple of interesting concepts here:

http://www.impressions.net.au/dream-living-series/2getherness.html

wouldn't have thought you would be allowed to build this but I assume they are promoting this range for a reason? presumably you could also have a granny flat and then triple rent the property

I'm assuming their target market is families who are happy to have their grown up children still living at home until they 40 :)
Or people that want their parents to live in the house and not a seperate granny flat.

I'm thinking of holiday home applications, hence the laundry question. when would the 1 (or 2 or whatever) bed area become a granny flat? when its not under the main roof? to provide some separation there could be an alfresco area/courtyard adjoin them under the main roof?

I'm thinking of holiday home applications, hence the laundry question. when would the 1 (or 2 or whatever) bed area become a granny flat? when its not under the main roof? to provide some separation there could be an alfresco area/courtyard adjoin them under the main roof?

Hmm technically if you were renting out to seperate parties you'd want a double wall for sound/privacy and to ensure that it could comply with fire regs.

But untechnically you'd call this a dual key set up where someone could rent the whole thing or rent to 2 parties with a lockable door in between like adjoining rooms at hotels.

An ancillary dwelling (aka GF) is seperate and has to meet requirements of open space, courtyard, parking etc set by the council/R Codes.

Dual Key Dwelling

a325ff541e5380a947b389-l.jpg

I like that plan.

on reflection I am thinking granny flat would be a better path to go down and just be happy with double rent. could be properly separated that way, into different accommodation units... might be weird to turn up to a holiday destination and be sort of living in the same house as some one else? tho my thought was to try and separate them but just have the main roof connecting them to comply

I like that plan.

on reflection I am thinking granny flat would be a better path to go down and just be happy with double rent. could be properly separated that way, into different accommodation units... might be weird to turn up to a holiday destination and be sort of living in the same house as some one else? tho my thought was to try and separate them but just have the main roof connecting them to comply

My last holiday I stayed in a cabin at Abbey. Unknown to me it was one building under one roof. Depending on number of occupants they would close off doors so that it could accommodate 4 separate small families. At about 4.00 in the morning our family and people next door were awoken by screaming. A foreign women was being bashed, objects thrown, crying and yelling. Was horrible for everyone. Police eventually came and took the male away. It was hideous. I got no sleep after that. Same with occupants next door who contacted police. The next day the couple drove away together. :confused: Do separate dwellings!! I also saw a house for sale with 2 kitchens in Bassendean. It was very hard to sell. They took it off the market and it eventually sold a few years later. They may have removed one of the kitchens but not positive as I was living interstate at the time.

Last edited:
Back